This team will never take the next step with Hurley as coach | Page 6 | The Boneyard

This team will never take the next step with Hurley as coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hurley is great for uconn. He brings an awesome energy to the program and has shown the be an excellent recruiter. No, he is not a master at in-game adjustments but very few coaches are. I do think that after this season he should look into switching up some of the offensive sets. I think benching Brendan Adams had to be really hard for him to do, but shows he knows he has to play his talent more and is a good sign for the program.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Damn.

Well, I guess that just leaves...

NEXT!!!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree that the final jury verdict is still out on DH.

But the returns, as outlined by a previous poster, have shown our national ranking has improved significantly each year that Hurley’s been here.

We’re obviously in a much better position than we were three years ago. I don’t think there’s any room for debate on that.

The next step is to be a tournament team every year which DH has put us in position for this year and, based on recruiting, looks promising every year going forward. But the returns aren’t in on this yet. We’ll see.

The final step is to be in the conversation as a national contender on a regular basis. Took Calhoun about six years to get us to that point and a total of 14 years to get the first national championship. We should check back in on this conversation for DH three years from now.

There are maybe 10-15 coaches in basketball that have taken that final step. I would be happy with nationally competitive.

We are in a much better position than we were three years ago for several reasons. The Big East is a huge one.

Reaction Score
Maybe because we play slower than everyone else ???
When you go into a conversation with your mind already made up, you tend to end up looking like an idiot. Regardless of the “pace” we play. Our defense is not the issue. If we’re not good defensively then that means the rest of the big east is atrocious.

Reaction Score
Yes, that was clear when you were acting like we have one of the worst offenses in the country despite it not being true.

You're blind if you don't think we have problems with our Xs and Os on offense, man. We're relying on potentially the most talented offensive player in all of college basketball to keep that ranking up. He is leaving next year, and being replaced by exactly 0 players who know how to create their own shot. We need to make changes to continue to get to the level where we're consistently a top 25 team.

Reaction Score
UConn has had injuries, COVID issues, and the highest ranked recruits are freshmen and sophomores.

Here are the recruiting rankings of the players (247 composite) and how many games they have played this year.

52. Andre Jackson 9/16 Freshman
66. James Bouknight 8/16 Sophomore
83. Adama Sanogo 16/16 Freshman
92. Akok Akok 6/16 Sophomore
105. Jalen Gaffney 16/16 Sophomore
161. Richie Springs 3/16 RFreshman
168. Tyler Polley 15/16 Senior
178. Josh Carlton 13/16 Senior
178. Brendan Adams 13/16 Junior
220. Tyrese Martin 15/16 Junior
479. RJ Cole 16/16 Junior
N/R Isiah Whaley 16/16 Senior

So, 3 of the 4 top rated recruits have played 9, 8, and 6 games andI think most would say that Akok has really only been effective in 1 game.

Next year, the talent level improves considerably:

46. Rashool Diggins
49. Jordan Hawkins
70. Samson Johnson

Clearly, Hurley could have won quicker at UConn had he pushed out players and more aggressively gone after transfers, but he decided to build the program the right way.
Agree with everything but Akok was ranked 31st and Sanogo 49th when they committed to UConn. The huge drops after they committed made no sense.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It’s not just that loss . We have been offensively inept all season . The guys always look lost and there is no purpose to anything we run and no improvement over the course of the season. Hopefully his recruiting success will ultimately make up for his lack of offensive coaching .
My highest compliment to offer you in this thread is "Post#/Handle." Yes, I'm quoting above the 99th post in this thread. It is terribly written.

Don't be defensive, but your word usage is poor. It leads to ambiguities and undercuts the effectiveness of your message. That's no helpful when most people don't like the content of your message either.

Yes, the team's performance on offense has been uninspired, frustrating, and uncomfortable to watch at times, even perhaps inept, but not offensively so. That's too extreme.

Your third sentence includes such unsupportably exaggerated characterizations such as "always look lost," "no purpose to anything," and "no improvement," and there is no use of commas to separate either clauses or phrases, which you mix in a sub-optimal way.

Read up on "hopefully;" it doesn't mean what you probably think it does. And even if it did, you'd need a comma there as well. "Ultimately," whether you are marking something by degree or against time, is another instance of overselling things. It invites a closer look, and reveals itself as a poorly chosen word.

And then you close things out by referencing a "lack of offensive coaching." This seems to contradict your overall message. And besides, couldn't you have just said, "his coaching isn't offensive," or did you mean, that he doesn't coach the offense very well?

Ever since you reintroduced your thoughts to this thread, you've alternated being offensive and defensive. I suppose that's something. And you've done so pretty well. But I don't think that's what you had in mind.

If you love Dan Hurley, then love him. If you hope for him to grow as a coach, keep rooting for him. If you want to make predictions that someone won't achieve to the heights of their aspirations if they don't improve in areas of identified weakness, you probably won't find much betting action against you. In the meantime, work on your writing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My highest compliment to offer you in this thread is "Post#/Handle." Yes, I'm quoting above the 99th post in this thread. It is terribly written.

Don't be defensive, but your word usage is poor. It leads to ambiguities and undercuts the effectiveness of your message. That's no helpful when most people don't like the content of your message either.

Yes, the team's performance on offense has been uninspired, frustrating, and uncomfortable to watch at times, even perhaps inept, but not offensively so. That's too extreme.

Your third sentence includes such unsupportably exaggerated characterizations such as "always look lost," "no purpose to anything," and "no improvement," and there is no use of commas to separate either clauses or phrases, which you mix in a sub-optimal way.

Read up on "hopefully;" it doesn't mean what you probably think it does. And even if it did, you'd need a comma there as well. "Ultimately," whether you are marking something by degree or against time, is another instance of overselling things. It invites a closer look, and reveals itself as a poorly chosen word.

And then you close things out by referencing a "lack of offensive coaching." This seems to contradict your overall message. And besides, couldn't you have just said, "his coaching isn't offensive," or did you mean, that he doesn't coach the offense very well?

Ever since you reintroduced your thoughts to this thread, you've alternated being offensive and defensive. I suppose that's something. And you've done so pretty well. But I don't think that's what you had in mind.

If you love Dan Hurley, then love him. If you hope for him to grow as a coach, keep rooting for him. If you want to make predictions that someone won't achieve to the heights of their aspirations if they don't improve in areas of identified weakness, you probably won't find much batting action against you. In the meantime, work on your writing.
If we’re continuing on grammar issues you spelled batting rather than betting .

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If we’re continuing on grammar issues you spelled batting rather than betting .
Thanks for the specific and constructive criticism.

Even with imperfect punctuation and word choice, your message was clear enough for me to make the change, although the autocorrect error would be an accurate identification irrespective of the supposition al you offered.

Reaction Score
Outcoachig doesn't exist. I don't even want to get into this, but coaches can do things to set players up, but they have to make the shots and correct play.

Coaches job is to get his players into the position to utilize strength. But, there is no magic timeout or magic adjustment that happens that Hurley isn't doing. Cats can't shoot.

What you call outcoached, I call substandard point guard play from a game management perspective. They need a point guard.

If a coach sets up a play and a player misses a good shot, is that on the coach? UConn makes the right reads, they get the shots. They just don't always go in.

Do i wish hurley played more pressure and faster? Yes. But that comes at considerable risk too.

Edit: What is the risk? Ask yourself what does this uconn edition do well? What is the one thing they are really good at? They are really good in halfcourt defense and protecting the rim. Why would you speed up the game and take UConn's greatest strength (halfcourt D) out of the equation. That's why they don't pressure a ton.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Big East is not great this year in all honesty . If this is the type of offensive team we’re gonna be we really gotta step up on defense . If you can’t see that take of your Hurley blinders .

This is not an offensive strategy issue as much as an offensive roster issue. We don't have pure shooters. When shots go in we look unstoppable. When shots don't go in it's difficult to win. I wouldn't overthink this.

Reaction Score
Outcoachig doesn't exist. I don't even want to get into this, but coaches can do things to set players up, but they have to make the shots and correct play.

Coaches job is to get his players into the position to utilize strength. But, there is no magic timeout or magic adjustment that happens that Hurley isn't doing. Cats can't shoot.

What you call outcoached, I call substandard point guard play from a game management perspective. They need a point guard.

If a coach sets up a play and a player misses a good shot, is that on the coach? UConn makes the right reads, they get the shots. They just don't always go in.

Do i wish hurley played more pressure and faster? Yes. But that comes at considerable risk too.
This is a joke right ? So best recruiters are best coaches to you ?!?

Reaction Score
This is not an offensive strategy issue as much as an offensive roster issue. We don't have pure shooters. When shots go in we look unstoppable. When shots don't go in it's difficult to win. I wouldn't overthink this.
THEY GET GOOD SHOTS! The offense is actually clever. You guys are looking at the result of the play, not the play itself.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I remember when people were saying the same thing about Jim Calhoun. He can't win the big one

No joke

Hurley has had two classes for heaven's sake, this type of thinking is beyond silly

Reaction Score
THEY GET GOOD SHOTS! The offense is actually clever. You guys are looking at the result of the play, not the play itself.
I think if his offense was so clever his teams would have some better offensive numbers by now .

Reaction Score
This is a joke right ? So best recruiters are best coaches to you ?!?
Some are better than others. But, outcoached? Every NCAA DI coach knows what they are doing. I have seen high school coaches run circles around other coaches, but at the Division I level? News for you, it comes down to recruiting and knowing your talent. Calhoun was a great practice coach. His Xs and Os were OK. He had a great game against K in 1999, Got his ass kicked by Fred Hoiberg in his final game. What does that tell you?

Coaches are more important in these aspects.

1. Recruiting
2. Player development
3. Organization and discipline
4. Xs and Os and system

Hurley calling a timeout here or there? That is message board fodder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom