This team will never take the next step with Hurley as coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This team will never take the next step with Hurley as coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Would love to hear your case as to how KO deserved another year. He drove this program into a ditch that it is STILL not out of. It was obvious he didn’t give a F and also had no clue.

I heard Kevin Ollie won a national championship. Is that true?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
i heard ko got fired and has yet to get another coaching job, is that true?

That would be a stupid comeback even if Ollie did not have a 3 year Show Cause ruling from the NCAA still in place.

Reaction Score
Whatever happened to that guy? Problably coaching at some D3 school because he couldnt run with the big schools. Really soft spoken nice guy just wasnt much of a coach.
Those four NC’s easily could have been six.

Reaction Score
He just seems to push the wrong buttons over and over in close games. He's had enough time to prove himself. He's a much better recruiter than coach.
Troll. Give Hurley 1-2 more recruiting cycles and he will have UConn in top 10.

Reaction Score
It really is. A guy wins a national championship for UConn and this fan base rips him a dozen new ones every chance it gets.

Fun fact: How many schools outside the P6 conferences have won a national championship in the last 30 years? (I will give you a hint, it is one school.)
You know exactly why the fan base continues to rip KO a new one. Winning a title gives you a very long leash, which KO did receive, not immunity.

Reaction Score
Maybe you should get your facts straight before u post. Calhoun won the NIT in his second year and made the elite 8 (NCAA tourne) in his 4th year
No part of what you just said discredits his post, everything in his post is still accurate as is yours

Reaction Score
Never say never I guess...

But he has been pretty dreadful this season with in-game adjustments. Some of which seemed very basic and obvious at the moment. He's still a young coach so hopefully, he improves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I heard Kevin Ollie won a national championship. Is that true?
I heard that since that championship his recruiting and coaching has led to losing seasons, Wagner/Northeastern embarrassments and so on.

I used to defend Kevin Ollie so much on this board. You can check my post history if that's possible all the way back... But facts are facts. The championship isn't enough to cover up the losing seasons and lack of coaching ability.

Reaction Score
And to think I was finally starting to come around and agree with you on things. Ollie had the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows. It was time for him to go, you can't argue that.
A losing season is bad enough, but back to back? The writing was on the wall and at UConn it's just unacceptable to be below .500 let alone losing grip of the program. There is a high standard for basketball around here and the leash will be very short if you start showing the wrong signs

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And to think I was finally starting to come around and agree with you on things. Ollie had the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows. It was time for him to go, you can't argue that.

I was OK with firing him just to shake things up. Ollie was a distant second in terms of the biggest reasons for UConn's decline after 2014. The AAC was a disaster for UConn, and some posters (such as me) predicted that the AAC was going to wreck the athletic program. It did. Calhoun in his prime could not have kept UConn competitive in that dumpster fire of a conference.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I was OK with firing him just to shake things up. Ollie was a distant second in terms of the biggest reasons for UConn's decline after 2014. The AAC was a disaster for UConn, and some posters (such as me) predicted that the AAC was going to wreck the athletic program. It did. Calhoun in his prime could not have kept UConn competitive in that dumpster fire of a conference.
Yes but there's been plenty of reports saying he basically gave up, was without a plan, and didn't reach out to recruits as often as other coaches. Hurley had a top 20 class in the AAC. The conference was a dumpster fire but it was amplified greatly when the head coach stops trying.

Reaction Score
He just seems to push the wrong buttons over and over in close games. He's had enough time to prove himself. He's a much better recruiter than coach.
How much better a coach is Hurley if Cole hits two fouls shots?

How much better a coach is Hurley if Bouknight stays healthy?

Seriously, what buttons needed to be pushed to do the preceding?

Reaction Score
Some guy named Calhoun took 9 years to get his first program into the tourney and then 4 years at UConn to get them there.
Calhoun won the NIT in his second year at Uconn. I was pretty impressed with that. His teams always seemed to over-achieve.

Reaction Score
I heard that since that championship his recruiting and coaching has led to losing seasons, Wagner/Northeastern embarrassments and so on.

I used to defend Kevin Ollie so much on this board. You can check my post history if that's possible all the way back... But facts are facts. The championship isn't enough to cover up the losing seasons and lack of coaching ability.
If it was okay, then Tubby Smith would probably still be at Kentucky.

And just to throw gasoline on the fire of this troll of a thread.... Mr. Squid Calimari is a horrible Xs and Os coach and gets his team to make deep runs year after year.

Reaction Score
Some guy named Calhoun took 9 years to get his first program into the tourney and then 4 years at UConn to get them there.
Except for the first 7 years Northeastern was D2. And then he transitioned to D1 so that is hardly comparable to taking over a program with 4 national championships . And once NU went D1 it took 2 years to make the Tournament (NU wasn’t eligible their first year due to an NCAA rule at the time. They tied for first in their league) then they went 5 times in 6 years...oh and in those years the NCAA Tournament was not 68 teams so it was arguably tougher to get a bid, but other than those facts, that is a great comparison..I’m not down on Hurley like some are. But just pointing out that the Calhoun comparison is pretty dumb.

My own view is that Hurley is a good not great coach. He seems like a very good recruiter who could very well put together a talented team some year that makes a deep run. If, and it is a big if, he wins a Championship I think it will be closer to the type Calipari won than the ones Calhoun or Wright won. I mean that he will have recruited overwhelming talent rather than winning because you out coached the other guy as Calhoun did in 1999.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am not ready to write him off, but Hurley just has to get better on gameday. UConn has 5 or 6 seed talent and it is on the bubble right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom