This Team vs Last Year's Team? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This Team vs Last Year's Team?

Reaction Score
A lot of the points stated on both sides of this argument are correct.
My opinion is this years team is and will be better for primarily four reasons.
1) CD is significantly better than Saniya because she is a true point guard, whose improvement this year is substantial.
2) This year we have a big in AZ and one that actually impacts the game. For right now it is mostly on the offensive side. At times she seems to me to be the best player on this extremely talented team.
3) KLS has improved a good deal in three areas: defense, rebounding and leadership.
4) And maybe most importantly this years team experienced last years loss to MS in the semifinal. It's true they haven't seemed clearly the very best team by far going into the Final Four. They can and will use that loss as a reminder and focus on what can happen. I also think last year in that loss no one was able or ready to take hold and control. This year I think that KLS and maybe AZ can and would do so.
Yes this team is not as consistent throughout a game like last years team which was a well oiled machine. Yes, both Williams and Collins have not been as consistently as good as they were. But high show signs of improvement recently and much of this is their adjusting to new roles.
Louisville will be a big test but I believe we will win by at least 15-20 points. Actually a closer game and even a loss might be more beneficial.
I believe MS presents the greatest challenge but I believe U Conn will take their game in the final four semi-final or championship to another level. I saw McGowan recently for a short period and was not impressed with especially her defense.
Hang in there all, this is and will be a special season.
Bronx23

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Which is which?? I suspect Geno is the angry one---now who could the tall "out of it" be?

Oh. This is "Pinky" and the "Brain". Pinky is less than a genius and follows the "Brain" who always is trying to take over the world. :D

Reaction Score
This year UConn beat Notre Dame by 9. I think they have won every other game by at least 25 (avg. mov = 36.2). Would last years team have done better than that? I think memory tends to romanticize the past a bit, while expectations underplay the present.

I agree with how folks are talking about consistency and such... There were so many posts talking in a panic and about inconsistency, especially at the same point in the season.

I wonder if folks just cheered more for last year because it was more of a romantic setting. Meaning the departure of the big three was similar to you starting a new relationship and how everything was more exciting because it was unknown and experienced for the first time. This year we knew what to expect and just do not like how long it is taking to have everything wonderful in our eyes.

Remember, last year's team went undefeated and to the Final4 before a bigger more physical team played them into overtime for a last second win. Not bad right. The answer will not be answered today, it will be answered in March and I would suspect in the Final4.

Reaction Score
The wayback machine doesn't sample the sagarin ratings for the women frequently enough to get a direct comparison but, at this point, the team's sagarin rating is quite a bit higher than last year's sagarin rating in early February. If I recall correctly, the team's sagarin rating improved throughout the regular season so the margin is probably conservative.

This team is way more versatile with the addition of Stevens and the increased and improved toolset of Dangerfield. NO WAY does Miss State beat this year's team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Especially after tonight, it’s apparent that this team hasn’t separated itself from the pack in the same manner they did last year. Tonight was a perfect example of how the individual talent is there but the on court cohesion wasn’t as strong.

It might also be that teams just don’t seem afraid of UCONN like they used to be. Not sure if that’s due to Mississippi State, but frequently teams would roll over and die once UCONN went on a run, where this year teams are still competing a lot harder. Notre Dame has the Huskies on the ropes, Texas started every quarter strong after UCONN went on runs to finish the previous one, Nevada played their hearts out, Oklahoma kept it competitive for a while, etc.

I’m very excited for the Louisville game—it’s the first time this year I’ll go into a game thinking a team actually has a chance to beat the Huskies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After a long summer of speculation about the depth of this year's team, and how is Geno going to divide up playing time, this season is shaping up to be a repeat of last season. So, how did last season end? Against Miss. State, the five starters played 202 of a total 225 minutes, while Miss. State played 10 different players. I thought UConn players looked tired or worn out. Playing the starters longer than necessary during the season can have bad consequences. More exposure to injuries, including nagging minor injuries, and the possibility of getting worn out. Let's hope we don't have a repeat of last year.

I don't think being tired had a thing to do with it. Those are 20 year old kids that had a week off. And the week prior they blew out everyone. So magically that one game they got a week off - they lost because of the bench?

IMO they got beat last year because to start the game they got wiped out on the glass- the team was a terrific defensive team and had a pg that UCONN couldn't turn over. IMO it had nothing to do with what you're saying.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I don't think being tired had a thing to do with it. Those are 20 year old kids that had a week off. And the week prior they blew out everyone. So magically that one game they got a week off - they lost because of the bench?

IMO they got beat last year because to start the game they got wiped out on the glass- the team was a terrific defensive team and had a pg that UCONN couldn't turn over. IMO it had nothing to do with what you're saying.
In his post game interview, Geno stated that they can't keeping playing with just five or six players. In the next few weeks, the second group of players will get priority. So it looks like Geno is thinking like I am.

For clarification, "worn out" is somewhat different for "being tired." But, missing shots that you usually make can be attributed to being tired.

Reaction Score
I think if you look at each position on the court, this year’s team is stronger than last year’s. But last year’s team is more cohesive. One might argue that this year’s team elked out two tough wins against ND and Texas. But we can also argue that last year’s team might not have dug themselves a hole like this year’s team in the first place. As far as the result go, I am going to give an edge to last year’s. There are many brilliant moments for this year’s team, but the number of turnovers have said it all! Let’s hope they will improve and truly outshine last year’s team.

Reaction Score
I believe that the players are better, but the team is not. Something is missing.

Last years team had a fire inside. Have not seen it in this year's team yet.

Reaction Score
The team still has two months to evolve and become more polished. They will be unstoppable come early March. Better to get beat up and learn from it now than in the final four.

Reaction Score
On paper:
- Subtract Chong
- 3 Returning All-Americans
- KLS much improved
- Crystal Dangerfield hugely improved
- Add Z
- Throw in Walker for good measure
- 16-0 so far, #1 ranking doesn't seem to be in jeopardy
= No brainer

In reality:
- Z still learning to play defense, should be playing much better in March
- Gabby & Pheesa still adjusting to playing differently with Z in, it should all be working much better by March
- Walker has shown flashes of being the #1 HS player, should be contributing regularly & be more dependable by March
- Undefeated record includes a good win last night where they faced a very big, motivated, and talented top-10 team in front of a large and raucous homer crowd in the premier national TV game of the season. All appears to be well - I really don't see much to complain about.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
On paper:
- Subtract Chong
- 3 Returning All-Americans
- KLS much improved
- Crystal Dangerfield hugely improved
- Add Z
- Throw in Walker for good measure
- 16-0 so far, #1 ranking doesn't seem to be in jeopardy
= No brainer

In reality:
- Z still learning to play defense, should be playing much better in March
- Gabby & Pheesa still adjusting to playing differently with Z in, it should all be working much better by March
- Walker has shown flashes of being the #1 HS player, should be contributing regularly & be more dependable by March
- Undefeated record includes a good win last night where they faced a very big, motivated, and talented top-10 team in front of a large and raucous homer crowd in the premier national TV game of the season. All appears to be well - I really don't see much to complain about.

I'm with you. Geno said early on that the Z, Gabby and Napheesa chemistry was going to take awhile.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some interesting quotes from Fuller's latest.

Aston on whether UConn is vulnerable:

"I definitely don't feel like you are vulnerable when you can score at every position," Texas coach Karen Aston said.

Geno on whether this is a great UConn team:

"Great for what is going on in the country right now but great but our standards? Not quite, not yet. Maybe, maybe down the road but they've got a ways to go to catch up to some of the more recent teams."

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Talented, physical Texas team pushes UConn to the brink

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom