This Team vs Last Year's Team? | The Boneyard

This Team vs Last Year's Team?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Walker and Stevens replace Chong...

Gabby moves from the post to the guard position (a huge amount of turnovers now)
Z jacking up 3s and not making them.

Dangerfield is a great replacement for Chong but does Walker and Stevens make UConn better this year?

I think last year's team is better than this year

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Gabby moves from the post to the guard position (a huge amount of turnovers now)

Dangerfield is a great replacement for Chong but does Walker and Stevens make UConn better this year?

Walker no at this time and probably for this year but Z is a monster improvement and Crystal overall (offense/ defense/ demeanor) is better than Soniya / Old Crystal so I give this years group the edge. Of course, no way to prove it until we get the NC.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This year's team is more versatile with the addition of Stevens, but I think last year's team had more cohesion. Roles were more defined, and players like Collier/Williams were having better seasons. It's not uncommon for new talent to rock the boat a little bit when they get playing time and force other players to take on different roles. It happened in 2001 when UCONN wasn't as good as they were in 2000 despite returning all rotation players and adding in DT. Same with Baylor in 2013 when they added in Johnson and Pope took a more prominent role. And Maryland in 2007 when they added in Wiley-Gatewood. The team just wasn't as good despite having more talent.

UCONN can improve and might be better than they were a year ago--I'm not grouping them in with those teams but just using them as examples. The main difference for me is I haven't had the vibe that the Huskies are far and away better than the #2 team like I did most of last season (and the previous 3 years). A big win against Texas could show that UCONN is further separating itself from the rest of the pack.

Reaction Score

I don't believe I've ever held an opinion different than yours on this board.

But, this year's guys would lead at the half and close it out as if playing UCLA. Just my opinion. Dangerous alone is twice as good as Chong ever was, but I would not downplay Chong's great play. Walker will be the tornado in March who sweeps away the rough play and scores. Z is a mighty tower at both ends of the court. Perhaps even at the same time by then.

Reaction Score

I don't understand your first statement, because neither Walker or Stevens replaced Chong. Dangerfield did and that appears to be a definite improvement (although not intending to slight Saniya).

The addition of Stevens has definitely changed things, not all for the better. She's usually terrific around the basket offensively, but her defense needs work. However, not only Gabby is having adjustment problems when she's in there, so is Pheesa. The one thing we don't need is Z throwing up all those bricks from 3 pt. land. Lou, Kia and even Dangerfield can handle that better with their eyes closed (as long as Lou squares her shoulders, sets her feet and shoots in rhythm it's lights out for the opponent).

Walker looked like a shoe-in star until she got hurt/sick/whatever. At this moment she is more liability than asset. However, cream rises to the top and I expect her back to top form soon.

On paper this year's team should be better than last, but at this point I don't see it. In spurts they play terrific, but they aren't consistent. They (collectively) miss more lay-ins than any UConn team in recent history. If some of those teams we've blown-away in the end had been top competition, it's quite possible this team would not be undefeated. But, as stated, a big win against Texas tonight will go a long way towards determonstrating just how good they are.

Reaction Score
Last year's team was incredibly consistent, other than some slight shakiness in the early Florida State game...and of course the last game. They completely surprised me with how good they were; I predicted they would lose four games, including in the NCAA tournament. Perhaps that's part of the reason why I don't agree when people call the MissSt game the greatest upset in WCBB history - some part of me refuses to admit that they were as good as they actually appeared to be. :D

As for this year's team? Way more up and down. I don't think last year's team would have struggled against this year's Notre Dame team. But I think the ceiling of this year's team is higher. Unlike last year's team, I think it will take more time, because some of the pieces are more "exotic," and others are being used in new ways. If/when they put it together, they've got truly monstrous potential.

So in summary: the 2017 beats the 2018 team as it performs right now, if both play "average" games. The 2018 team beats the 2017 team if both are playing their best game.

Reaction Score
In comparison to last year's team and this current one, I have to pick last years just for the simple fact that they weren't expected to do what they accomplished. Just like the whole world did prior to last season starting, I resigned to the fact that they were gonna lose a few games but after the Florida State game, the cohesiveness just got better and better as the season went along except for that hiccup at Tulane. They played so freely with no pressure and after the Oregon game in the regional final it was theirs to lose and unfortunately, it all unfolded against Mississippi State. I guess the weight on their shoulders became too much to handle. So conclusively, I think that's why we have put much expectation on them this season because of what they achieved last year and then adding Z and MW to the lineup. As devastating as it was to see how it ended last season, it was quite an amazing ride they took us on until that point.

Reaction Score
Though her scoring is down, Katie Lou is a better player and way better leader this year.

Azura is definitely a big benefit.

Overall Crystal’s play and leadership improves the point position as well.

Reaction Score

I was thinking the same thing. Last year's team was very versatile, and relied on speed and teamwork. I'm not certain that Z, though a fine talent, actually makes the team better. Certainly her dozens of bricks she throws up from the arc have slowed down the team.

Can Z defeat McCowen? Can she defeat the Twin Peaks of Oregon? Can she hold A'ja Wilson to a draw at least in the tournament?

Regarding freshmen, Chennedy Carter scored more than 30 points last night in a defeat by Georgia. Three freshmen were instrumental in Tennessee's defeat of Wilson-less South Carolina. We're still wishing and hoping for Walker to break through, while lamenting the loss of AEH.

We lost in the Final Four partly due to Mississippi State's bigs. Are we better with Z against those bigs? I don't think she's actually been challenged, so the jury is still out. I don't think Connecticut has won a championship without an excellent presence in the post.

Reaction Score

It all depends on who and how they want to define BETTER.

Uconn is BETTER with the added height of Azura
Uconn is Better with the Added fire power of Azura
Uconn is Better with the addition of Walker --one more very good sub
Uconn is soooo much better with the new and improved Danger

Still they are lacking reasonably good bigs for subs, reasonably competent subs at guard,
The Frosh are still far from being significant contributors. Irwin could give a few minutes, Molly is a question mark. Batouly is only getting 2 minutes in Clean up--what does that say?
From a sub point of view---Uconn WBB is only a bit better than last.

Using AZ, Precious, Gabby , as geno is using them, in a rotational basis keeps fresh legs, fewer piled up fouls, and the team fire power gets better, as does defense. The scale it tipped towards a better team this year.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. Last year's team was very versatile, and relied on speed and teamwork. I'm not certain that Z, though a fine talent, actually makes the team better. Certainly her dozens of bricks she throws up from the arc have slowed down the team.

Can Z defeat McCowen? Can she defeat the Twin Peaks of Oregon? Can she hold A'Adams Wilson to a draw at least in the tournament?

Regarding freshmen, Chennedy Carter scored more than 30 points last night in a defeat by Georgia. Three freshmen were instrumental in Tennessee's defeat of Wilson-less South Carolina. We're still wishing and hoping for Walker to break through, while lamenting the loss of AEH.

We lost in the Final Four partly due to Mississippi State's bigs. Are we better with Z against those bigs? I don't think she's actually been challenged, so the jury is still out. I don't think Connecticut has won a championship without an excellent presence in the post.
Just one point...what percentage of the team's shots did Carter throw up in order for her to get her 30 points? In the couple of games that I have seen her, she appears to have taken at least 50% of them, if not more. UConn plays team bball, so I don't know why she has a part in this thread.

Reaction Score
Last year’s team peaked early, this team has yet to peak!
]

Smart coaches, guess which one Geno is, tries to bring along their team to PEAK at the end or middle of March thru to April---playing their best at NCAA tourney time. Geno has this team in an excellent trajectory for success.

Reaction Score

Can Z defeat McCowen? Can she defeat the Twin Peaks of Oregon? Can she hold A'Adams Wilson to a draw at least in the tournament?

Can AZ defeat McCowen--probably not, I don't think she's strong enough. But UConn with team D can.
Geno won't allow AZ to go one on one with McGowen, if he can stop it--that' only will end with Z fouls.
On one person top teams--geno usually allows the one to go off and holds the rest to zero.f

If Geno thinks AZ throws up brick--he'll stop it. If he thinks she's a shooter--he'll have her shoot. Apparently in practice she rarely misses a 3. Let her shoot.

Miss St game--Uconn's Bigs were not allowed to play their inside game---Geno rarely gets bit by the same snake twice. That is not to say I personally don't have concerns should we play Ms St again.
However, I'd love to have Geno and Holly go head to head.

Reaction Score
Though her scoring is down, Katie Lou is
a better \U

When you add to an already well scoring team--a new and different scorer--things change, stats change. If you are a TEAM Team everything, except personal stats, gets better.
I thank JPM for the Gift she has given Geno and us, I do that daily (or Dailey)--the greatest gift hoUCWBB has been given in 20 years --is AZURA STEVENS!! The right player, right size, right skill set at the right time---how many times does that happen in a lifetime?? Yipee Yipee--three Cheers for JPM.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
However, I'd love to have Geno and Holly go head to head.

pinky_primary.jpg

Reaction Score
This year UConn beat Notre Dame by 9. I think they have won every other game by at least 25 (avg. mov = 36.2). Would last years team have done better than that? I think memory tends to romanticize the past a bit, while expectations underplay the present.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
After a long summer of speculation about the depth of this year's team, and how is Geno going to divide up playing time, this season is shaping up to be a repeat of last season. So, how did last season end? Against Miss. State, the five starters played 202 of a total 225 minutes, while Miss. State played 10 different players. I thought UConn players looked tired or worn out. Playing the starters longer than necessary during the season can have bad consequences. More exposure to injuries, including nagging minor injuries, and the possibility of getting worn out. Let's hope we don't have a repeat of last year.

Reaction Score
Though her scoring is down, Katie Lou is a better player and way better leader this year.

Azura is definitely a big benefit.

Overall Crystal’s play and leadership improves the point position as well.
Amen. Crystal a different player, bringing more energy, offense, and defense to entire team. KLS better in every regard, also making other's better with her passing, rebounding and defense. More subs-don't underestimate the value add Walker brought in at least two wins. Plus more diverse offense-last year's team was great but against certain match ups offense slowed. This year's team can change as needed-inside or outside.

Reaction Score
This year UConn beat Notre Dame by 9. I think they have won every other game by at least 25 (avg. mov = 36.2). Would last years team have done better than that? I think memory tends to romanticize the past a bit, while expectations underplay the present.[
Yes long term memory is not always accurate and in cases romantic. But this is short term, one year, memory. Last years team was good, missing some components, some of the missing arrived with Azura's entry into the game and Walkers development. I'd like another big or two, but life is like a box of chocolates---(never did figure that one out).

Reaction Score
Last year's team was more cohesive BUT there were six games they lost or won by 11 or less. The equivalent this year will probably be 1 IMO. Maybe 2. Maybe, maybe 3.

Last year's prettier, this year's better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can think of a couple or more differences between this year's and last year's teams.

First, the last edition was losing Saniya and 2 walk-ons. Geno didn't have to find his starters for this year, he already had them. It's true that he had little on the bench to sub in last year, but the Huskies are built for endurance. Playing the same folks almost every game helped them coalesce and become virtually unbeatable (and Saniya's improvement helped greatly). It was both surprising and enormously gratifying. One of the reasons some of you may prefer last year's team was because it exceeded expectations; this year's team has not.

Next year he is going to have to replace Kia and Gabby, a tremendous loss. So this year he has to search among his players to find both a guard and a forward AND to be sure that Z is ready to be the full-time 5. That shifts the focus somewhat from standing pat to experimenting more. His subbing patterns have to change. Meg and Mikayla need to grow and be ready.

Most significantly, the addition of Azura has both added and detracted from this model of the team. With her came depth, height, scoring, rebounding. Last year 'Pheesa, Gabby, and Lou had to compensate for all of those missing elements—while not fouling. With Azura neither Collier nor Williams has to do as much. Z has picked up some of their points, rebounds, blocks, and assists. Lou can linger outside with more comfort (although her game has become more diverse with every year).

Last year's team for all its success was basically a place-holder for this year's. This is the team we've waited for, and we expect a lot from them.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score

Agree with the statement, just worth noting that Lou is averaging 17.9 ppg in 27.9 minutes this year versus 20.2 ppg in 32.1 minutes last year. So, she is actually averaging about a half a point more this year per 40 minutes.

Her shooting percentage has also improved from 48.6% to 51.9%, and from three it has improved from 42.0% to 49.2%.

On the larger question, we are better this year IMHO. There were times UConn struggled last year, and there may be more times this year as well - already did against ND. But we are more equipped this year with better quickness and ability at the point and more size inside. We have more options on offense and are developing into a lock down defensive team.

Reaction Score
The answer is that by tournament time this year’s team will be better. Z’s defense and outside shooting improve, Walker figures it out enough to contribute (as she’s shown she can), rest of the team becomes more cohesive. #12!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom