This team cannot win without Carlton. Period. | The Boneyard

This team cannot win without Carlton. Period.

Reaction Score
Don't believe me. Watch the second half over and over. We needed a second center this past recruiting period. We didn't get one. Water over the dam. If we don't play Carlton, we are a donut. There is no other option.

Hurley decided to make a point today. To send Josh a message. Decided it was more important than winning. We'll find out if it was the right move. But once Carlton went out the game was -- it was OVER.

Josh has been crushed the past two games. He is playing scared. Frightened. Hurley has said that he isn't coaching well enough. That Carlton hasn't gotten the ball close enough to the basket. Today he got it closer and couldn't finish. His confidence has been destroyed. His focus was drek. He rushed. He was waiting for something bad to happen. He is waaaaaaaaaay outside of his comfort zone.

But take him out and we have no chance. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Null set. That's the truth.

Reaction Score
Don't believe me. Watch the second half over and over. We needed a second center this past recruiting period. We didn't get one. Water over the dam. If we don't play Carlton, we are a donut. There is no other option.

Hurley decided to make a point today. To send Josh a message. Decided it was more important than winning. We'll find out if it was the right move. But once Carlton went out the game was -- it was OVER.

Josh has been crushed the past two games. He is playing scared. Frightened. Hurley has said that he isn't coaching well enough. That Carlton hasn't gotten the ball close enough to the basket. Today he got it closer and couldn't finish. His confidence has been destroyed. His focus was drek. He rushed. He was waiting for something bad to happen. He is waaaaaaaaaay outside of his comfort zone.

But take him out and we have no chance. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Null set. That's the truth.

Problem is the period to develop his confidence by playing "weaker" competition is unfortunately over. It's not going to get easier from here on out. He played quite well against Indiana but has seemed to just completely lose everything the last few games. Hard decision as to whether to put him out there and maybe have him find some sort of rhythm or keep him on the bench.

Reaction Score
Look, Josh has to make layups at a higher clip. He's got to box out. And he has to anticipate better he just does not have the speed or feet to out athletic you to the ball. He has to be the smarter harder working big on the floor.

Reaction Score
Carlton got pulled because he was 10-ply soft all game long.

As much as it pains me to say it as I really like Josh, we can’t win a physical game with him in.

Reaction Score
Look, Josh has to make layups at a higher clip. He's got to box out. And he has to anticipate better he just does not have the speed or feet to out athletic you to the ball. He has to be the smarter harder working big on the floor.
He can’t get off the floor in contested traffic. It’s a huge problem.

Reaction Score
Carlton got pulled because he was 10-ply soft all game long.

As much as it pains me to say it as I really like Josh, we can’t win a physical game with him in.
We can't ANY game without him.

If he doesn't play well. Tell me the alternative.

Reaction Score

Sometimes you have to go back to go forward.
Hurley at some point you has to show he is capable of doing this.
last team really didn’t improve and this years team is heading in the wrong direction hopefully on temporarily.
Even the much maligned former coach got the 2016-17 team on a roll where they won 7of 8 . That streak was stopped an Adams sprained ankle with no backup PG which is why he is no longer coaching.

Reaction Score

Can’t win with him either. We are stuck in mud.

Reaction Score
Carlton is a limited player who brings some good things to the table. He’s a solid college center who I think he gets way too much criticism from this board.

But it really all comes down to Bouknight’s and Akok’s development. It probably won’t make a huge difference this season, but they have a chance to be a good team next year with those two leading the way. It’s time for Hurley to start building toward that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Josh is an upgraded Phil Nolan, not star material but should be able to contribute something.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
There is no way someone actually thought carlton played well today. I cannot be reading the OP right

Reaction Score
Husky, we didn’t get Kofi. Can only dance with the one you brought
Exactly. As easy as it is to say about Kofi or Precious, they did not want to come here so we cant look back. With Javonte Brown Ferguson still somewhat young/raw, I would think the staff would look to add a Shonn Miller type grad transfer for next season. We need more muscle and size up front.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Whaley outplayed him by a mile. We lost bc of Akok getting two fouls, Hurley pocketing his timeouts, Hurley not making any adjustments, Hurley making subs 3-4 players at time, not playin your best and athletic players, etc. Akok cannot come out of the game unless he’s exhausted. We also need two ball handlers on the floor at all times and push Vital to the three when he plays. We don’t play the right lineups at all. Gaffney should play more as well as he can push the ball and is aggressive

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom