This Season Would Have Been The Same No Matter Who Warde Hired | The Boneyard

This Season Would Have Been The Same No Matter Who Warde Hired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fact of the matter is this...and I don't think any of you would disagree with me...the O-Line is PUTRID to say the least! When you have a "program" you always have kids ready to step in and play...maybe not as good as the guy in front of them...but good enough to be competitive. It is pretty evident that that isn't the case on the offensive line, not in the least. There was a TOTAL lack of player development the past 3 years (and I won't say again who is to blame for that...), now the program is paying for it BIG TIME! Until they get the line right it doesn't matter what kind of offense is run, this team WILL BE LUCKY to put up points on the board! The thing I want to see is what will Diaco do to fix it...he needs to hit the JUCO's, maybe see if there are any 5th yr grads who want to come and get a master's at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Really, Belichick couldn't do a better job? Urban Meyer couldn't design an offense to score with this group?

No, this is on Diaco. He is a first time head coach and t shows. Heck, Pasqualoni could have a better record at this point.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
A different coach might take a different approach, installing read option or something kooky that would give us a slightly better record. But it's only one, maaaaaybe two additional wins if we're lucky. If we're unlucky the defense would be worse. The fanbase would still be unhappy either way.

Reaction Score
I continue to support Diaco.

But I don't agree with original post. Addazio - for instance - chose to use the College Waiver wire. He had 5 PG 5th year guys that he snookered into BC. Diaco. Foley. Cummings. They all knew that line was bad. They chose a path. There were other ways. Fix that OLine & you had more options.

But then there is PP. He chose to keep almost all the HCRE assistants; but didn't bring in a top QB prospect & went with the walk on. And let Robbie Frey go. These first decisions are very telling

I think Diaco has leverage. But he can't burn through that as quick as he is doing.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The decay (for lack of a better term) of our offensive from 2010 until today is both infurating and mind boggling. I'm not sure that any of our linemen would have crack the two deep from 2007-2010.

Another coach may have found a way to squeeze out another win (two if he were a miracle worker) through this point in the season but depending on the cost (keep in mind that from the president, through the athletic director all the way to the head coach and assistants are firmly against shortcuts, especially those that relate to academics) would we really be that much better off if we did add a couple of questionable JUCO linemen this past offseason?

We need to add bodies, quality bodies and we need to teach them, coach them up, have Balis build them up. The teaching/coaching/building part of this equation was absent for three plus years and that cost us dearly. It will take a little time to make up for that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Whitmer and Cochran were top QB prospects by UConn standards. One is shell shocked and one is no longer playing football because of too many hits.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Snookered into BC? From 2-10 to 7-5 and a bowl game? A guy who finished fourth in the heisman voting. They were snookered into what exactly? A successful final season? What a scumbag!

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
It's amazing how you guys believe that one guy, who is not even PLAYING the game but installing a new culture and new system, who has virtually nothing to work with, can make us a BCS Bowl contender in one year. FDNY is right. The O-line is non existent. But they are all Freshmen and Sophomores - 18/19 year olds with limited training and coaching going up against grown 23/24 year old MEN. P never stressed conditioning and strength!!! Where did you think it was going to come from?

We are among the worst teams in college football NOW! Patience! Let's get the system installed and Diaco's own players in before you slit your wrists. (Or you could do it now, avoid the rush, and we won't have to listen to your sky is falling drivel.)

Reaction Score
I continue to support Diaco.

But I don't agree with original post. Addazio - for instance - chose to use the College Waiver wire. He had 5 PG 5th year guys that he snookered into BC. Diaco. Foley. Cummings. They all knew that line was bad. They chose a path. There were other ways. Fix that OLine & you had more options.

But then there is PP. He chose to keep almost all the HCRE assistants; but didn't bring in a top QB prospect & went with the walk on. And let Robbie Frey go. These first decisions are very telling

I think Diaco has leverage. But he can't burn through that as quick as he is doing.

Robbie Frey left for personal reasons, last I remember. But he [PP] did seem to have a habit of letting guys slip out the back door, like Nebrich and Richard Lagow to OK St. last season. Hell, we barely had the season started before Lagow took off, and that was supposed to be a big-deal quarterback recruit from Texas.

Reaction Score
There's ways to cover weaknesses in football through designing plays. This coaching staff did not have a good start.
This is not true.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I refuse to believe that we are so bad talent wise, that we cannot compete offensively with the dregs of FBS ( which is where we firmly are).

Coaching is so huge and a great coach can overcome a lot of things. Nobody was expecting a lot of wins. Nobody was expecting big offense. If you're paying the guy $2M a season though? He better get you more than 2 TDs over the past 10 quarters.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how you guys believe that one guy, who is not even PLAYING the game but installing a new culture and new system, who has virtually nothing to work with, can make us a BCS Bowl contender in one year. FDNY is right. The O-line is non existent. But they are all Freshmen and Sophomores - 18/19 year olds with limited training and coaching going up against grown 23/24 year old MEN. P never stressed conditioning and strength!!! Where did you think it was going to come from?

We are among the worst teams in college football NOW! Patience! Let's get the system installed and Diaco's own players in before you slit your wrists. (Or you could do it now, avoid the rush, and we won't have to listen to your sky is falling drivel.)
No one said that Diaco could make us BCS Bowl contenders in one year. No one, you said that, it's your straw man.

The idea is that you could cover some of the inexperience and poor line play with scheme. Rich Rod invented his version of the spread because his team couldn't make a first down. Diaco seems to be playing to the team's weaknesses. He even admitted he wasn't game planning for opponents.

He has made his bed. I hope he can find his way out.

BTW, the OL is not all frosh and sophs.

Reaction Score
Really, Belichick couldn't do a better job? Urban Meyer couldn't design an offense to score with this group?

No, this is on Diaco. He is a first time head coach and t shows. Heck, Pasqualoni could have a better record at this point.
Unlike. Nonsense.

Reaction Score
Addazio has BC turned around and Whipple has Umass scoring BIG. WHAT'S funny is that we hired PP instead of Addazio and Diaco instead of Whipple... Smh
Addazio had already taken the Temple job when RE left in the dead of night. How were we going to get Addazio to break his contract with Temple? Was that even possible?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm in the middle on this. There's no way we can be certain of anything one way or the other. We can postulate things, but without the ability to test our postulations, we have no evidence to support our contentions.

I can find examples to support any hypothesis we choose to make. So what? The only real method to validate our assumptions would be for each of us to be the head coach of this team, play the same opponents, and run the team the way we so "arrogantly" know is the correct way. That is we need to create multiple universes. Then and only then can we assess the results to know which of us is correct.

It gets difficult to always put "IMO" or "IMM" before presenting arguments. Doing so at least acknowledges the argument made is one's opinion and subjective. I get the impression most of us arguing any issue are well aware of our limitations regarding these issues and are only presenting opinions. But without the "IMO" I'm left guessing which individuals are just leaving these qualifiers out versus which individuals have the conceit that their point of view is sacrosanct.

If any of these "sacrosanct" type of individuals can give me the location of a 10 future quakes, the strengths of those quakes, and the various vectors and strengths resulting from those quakes, on a date of my choosing and be accurate, I'll forgo my contempt for their arrogance.

Reaction Score
I'm beginning to see the whaler11 problem. He has a peculiar way of reading. Grammar. Tense. Adjective & Verb. Throws him.

You did not come near understanding what I typed. You went in an entirely different direction.

Reaction Score
The offensive line is not fumbling the ball left and right. They can not block yes but backs have to hold onto the ball and seems like no one on offense can do that either. The offense is putrid all the way around....there is plenty of blame to go around and no one is obsolved

Reaction Score
The offensive line is not fumbling the ball left and right. They can not block yes but backs have to hold onto the ball and seems like no one on offense can do that either. The offense is putrid all the way around....there is plenty of blame to go around and no one is obsolved

Ron Johnson is the only skill position player that has made sizable contributions to the offense that has yet to cough up the football. Even Davis had the ball ripped from his hands on a catch.

Reaction Score
Fact of the matter is this...and I don't think any of you would disagree with me...the O-Line is PUTRID to say the least! When you have a "program" you always have kids ready to step in and play...maybe not as good as the guy in front of them...but good enough to be competitive. It is pretty evident that that isn't the case on the offensive line, not in the least. There was a TOTAL lack of player development the past 3 years (and I won't say again who is to blame for that...), now the program is paying for it BIG TIME! Until they get the line right it doesn't matter what kind of offense is run, this team WILL BE LUCKY to put up points on the board! The thing I want to see is what will Diaco do to fix it...he needs to hit the JUCO's, maybe see if there are any 5th yr grads who want to come and get a master's at UCONN.

I strongly support Diaco. If he has the same results in year 3 I may change my mind. I think he will pull this together as part of a longer plan. Takes a lot of patience to coach a losing program that is in a deep hole.

I don't support most of the views posted on this panic stricken board. If I were a potential recruit and read some of the comments on this board, I would not get near the program. Who wants to deal with this?

Reaction Score
No one said that Diaco could make us BCS Bowl contenders in one year. No one, you said that, it's your straw man.

The idea is that you could cover some of the inexperience and poor line play with scheme. Rich Rod invented his version of the spread because his team couldn't make a first down. Diaco seems to be playing to the team's weaknesses. He even admitted he wasn't game planning for opponents.

There are two explanations for the complete failure to adjust the scheme to the talent on offense:

1) He doesn't want to. He's building a system for the long term and teaching to that system and if this year is lost, so be it. I don't like it and never will but that was always a possibility. If Warde wasn't willing to do this he shouldn't have hired an assistant who has never seen the offensive side of the football.

2) He can't/doesn't know how. God I hope this isn't the real answer . . .

Reaction Score
Addazio had already taken the Temple job when RE left in the dead of night. How were we going to get Addazio to break his contract with Temple? Was that even possible?

Here is where he lies and tells you that Addazio would have taken the UConn job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom