This says it all | The Boneyard

This says it all

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
1677253411010.png

Reaction Score
All million dollar dreams are not avoided by lack of work. There is mental labor or physical labor (and any combination thereof, none of that means , you'll be a Millionaire. However, work ethic does work well in Basketball--yet no millions are guaranteed. ds
Nor does shuffling through only pocket money means you'll stay poor.
The phraseology is catchy, but misleading. I raised lazy kids, some would compete with him Right place, right generation, Harvard,, UCal Stanford , Uconn worked wonders.
If determined physical labor a Billionaire made my Dad would have been one. He wasn't.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I worked for a couple of former touring golf professionals. My very first one told me. You need to hit 300-500 golf balls every day. You need to play 18 holes every day and if you dont break par play another 18 and putt til dark. Do that for 4 years and you might make it and there are no guarantees. To this day I work like that at everything I love starting with my family. The work ethic I learned from golf is second to none. Between the stint in the military followed by my love affair in golf made we what I am today.

Reaction Score
I worked for a couple of former touring golf professionals. My very first one told me. You need to hit 300-500 golf balls every day. You need to play 18 holes every day and if you dont break par play another 18 and putt til dark. Do that for 4 years and you might make it and there are no guarantees. To this day I work like that at everything I love starting with my family. The work ethic I learned from golf is second to none. Between the stint in the military followed by my love affair in golf made we what I am today.
Which is the greatest optimist Husky Nation has ever seen.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I saw a picture of a UConn player some time ago in which she has a quote from John Wooden on a cork board behind her: Working hard doesn't guarantee success, but not working hard guarantees failure.

Personally, I've always been a firm believer in work hard, play hard.

Reaction Score
If you love what you do, or even just like it a lot, it's not work.

Reaction Score
I guess I should stop buying lottery tickets.

Reaction Score
I always believed that you should work "smart". If that means you work hard, then you work hard. If that means you work easy, then you work easy. Working smart also means, doing it right the first time. Stick with it until the job gets done or the mission is completed.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I saw a picture of a UConn player some time ago in which she has a quote from John Wooden on a cork board behind her: Working hard doesn't guarantee success, but not working hard guarantees failure.

Personally, I've always been a firm believer in work hard, play hard.
I had a 1st SGT teach me a lesson about the play hard when I was an E4. I was at a German club on Rose Montag and I had someone challenge me to break the house record of 25 mugs of beer, I was already on my 8th at the time. I told them I could afford it, one of the guys said he would cover it even if I didn't break it. Each mug was a half liter and it was great German beer. By the time I got to number 20 the owner of the club stated that if I broke the record everything was on the house. Well I ended up drinking 27 of them, equal to 13 1/2 liters of beer. It stayed the record till the club finally closed due to the Army's draw down in Germany.

When I was in the supply room trying to stay awake and sober up the next morning the 1st SGT came in looked at me and started laughing, looked at my Supply SGT and said he's mine for the day. He put me through the grinder the whole day, had to heave it at least 3 times and he didn't let up. At the end of the day he stated that he could have given me an official reprimand, but that wouldn't have been effective in teaching me you "don't drink to excess on a weeknight unless you have the next day off".

One good thing came out of the whole mess was my future wife saw the drinking game and was kinda intrigued on my night of drinking. I saw her watching when I was going at it, but didn't ask her to dance that night, too busy to think of it. When I went back to the club the following Friday I asked her to dance and she accepted, I fell in love with her that night, but she had reservations about dating an American soldier, I won her over in the end and have been happily married for almost 47 years.

Reaction Score
I like Geno's saying.... You dont practice till you get it right.....you practice till you can't get it wrong!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is irrelevant but your talk about the dedication it takes to be a great golfer spurred this memory. Over a decade ago I was visiting a local course which had home sites etc available. I was talking with a few folks outside the sales office when a big, strapping fellow walked up and introduced himself. He was the course designer, retired golf great Tom Weiskopf. We talked for a few minutes and I said to him I'll see you out on the course someday. He said no I would not because his body wouldn't let him play anymore. He explained that all the decades of practice ball strikes had worn out his body and it was too painful to play. So once you make it you have to work like hell to keep it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom