This may not go down as a "great" win but... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This may not go down as a "great" win but...

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
This was a great win due to the devastating consequences of a loss.

Reaction Score
This three game span regardless of wins and loses is a strong reminder of how far UConn has fallen from Big East to AAC. ECU, USF, and Tulane, this is stretch to even be a mid-major schedule.

No way you can return to a elite program in this conference. How does UConn get out of the AAC????
I know it's going to sound crazy, but the first step is actually for you to stop posting on this board. That's the thing that will really get the "UCONN out of the AAC" train moving, so you're going to have to suck it up if you want us to be an elite program again.

Reaction Score
Yes, but so is Wagner, and we lost to them, at home, with a complete lineup. Winning by 20 on the road, with six healthy players, is pretty darned good no matter who you play.

I wasn't talking about winning or losing just the level of competition. It takes away from the product, even in a down year in the Big East you could still get excited to play a top team in the country or true rival. Now its a conference schedule of one insignificant team after another. Unfortunately UConn is now falling into that category.

Reaction Score
I know it's going to sound crazy, but the first step is actually for you to stop posting on this board. That's the thing that will really get the "UCONN out of the AAC" train moving, so you're going to have to suck it up if you want us to be an elite program again.

Another computer tough guy. If you don't like me posting you can just ignore or block me. You must be such a loser! sorry..

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. Finding anything - positive or negative - from last nights game is comical. This is a lost season.
Kind of like the horrible loss to Tulsa? Vance Jackson pointlessly went off in garbage time and then, uh... never stopped since.

Reaction Score
Another computer tough guy. If you don't like me posting you can just ignore or block me. You must be such a loser! sorry..
Man, based upon all your prior posts I was sure you were a real fan and would take one for the team. I guess we're going to be stuck in mediocrity forever.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Saw some good things but again it's against USF. Take a peak at their schedule/results, they are beyond awful.

For many years UConn has seemed to play up or down to the level of its competition. Maybe that's not supported by the stats but it sure seems that way.

It's nice to kick the s--- out of a s----- team sometimes.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if anyone ever claimed in the past making shots against Coppin State was the same as making shots against Syracuse, but here we are.

When you shoot 29% against bad teams, shooting 60% against ANYONE is good news.

It's really sad to me to see so many people incapable of taking any pleasure in UConn beating the pants off a conference foe -- horrid or not -- on its home court.

Yes, folks crapping all over on UConn in this thread (and this isn't directed at whaler11 personally), WE GET IT: this UConn team is not good, and USF is worse. You're not more "realistic" than the rest of us by pointing that out. You're just a Debbie Downer.

Reaction Score
For many years UConn has seemed to play up or down to the level of its competition. Maybe that's not supported by the stats but it sure seems that way.

It's nice to kick the s--- out of a s----- team sometimes.

Yep and the inverse of that infuriating trend would pop up sometimes too, where a terrible UConn team would hang with a team it had no business beating for awhile and tease us by playing up to the competition before losing in heartbreaking fashion. Finally smoking a trainwreck of a team felt good last night

Reaction Score
Some times I wonder how far out of the loop I am... I don't comprehend why any one here would want to demean the enormity of this win. Our guys aren't Spartan warriors trained to defy death in order to achieve victory. They are SIX kids, including two freshmen , who keep taking on teams with twice as many players, with the the clear understanding that Refs with quick whistles can blow up their game plan in a couple of minutes. ...and that if they have a bad game they take their brothers down with them. If they screw up, there is no where to hide while a fresh team mate takes up the slack, they must suck it up... and not screw up the next chance. They have to defend effectively and consistently,without fouling, when they are warn down. Every action is so much more critical than it is for the opponents because THERE IS NO MARGIN FOR ERROR.

These guys should be shaking in their boots with all they have going against them...yet they compete.

This may be a lost season for some of us, it clearly isn't what I expected, but look at what we are witnessing. Think of yourself in your late teens or early twenties and how you would have reacted to the lights, action, and outrageous odds of failure. Then consider the growth and character we are seeing in our guys....and thr effort and commitment of our coaches.

I love winning too, but let's not miss how special this season has become.

Fire away.

Reaction Score
When you shoot 29% against bad teams, shooting 60% against ANYONE is good news.

It's really sad to me to see so many people incapable of taking any pleasure in UConn beating the pants off a conference foe -- horrid or not -- on its home court.

Yes, folks crapping all over on UConn in this thread (and this isn't directed at whaler11 personally), WE GET IT: this UConn team is not good, and USF is worse. You're not more "realistic" than the rest of us by pointing that out. You're just a Debbie Downer.
Yep. There's a group of people here that think if you're not having a tantrum about the season like a 5 year old who had his favorite toy taken away, that means you're "OK" with how the season is going. Seems miserable.

Reaction Score
Kind of like the horrible loss to Tulsa? Vance Jackson pointlessly went off in garbage time and then, uh... never stopped since.
On a good team, Vance Jackson is a very solid, 20-25 min per night type a player. Thats my point. The only good this year has done is it gave valuable minutes to two guys who on a good team, are role players. Sure, it adds to UConn's depth. But, overall, neither Jackson nor Vital will be a key to next year's success. We have no front court. Anyone who takes yesterdays' result and somehow projects that to next year is fooling themselves.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yes, but so is Wagner, and we lost to them, at home, with a complete lineup. Winning by 20 on the road, with six healthy players, is pretty darned good no matter who you play.
Some people just don't get this at all
They complain that UConn loses to Wagner and Northeast because they are "crap teams" and the team was complete. UConn beats a couple of "crap teams" with only 6 players and it still is no good.
I guess some folks just complain because it's in them.
We all know its not the Big East and UConn isn't in a P5 - live with it - that's the cards that were dealt
KO has had to coach through the results of sanctions, the conference BS and the injuries.
I can't wait until KO has his team up and running
Until then, I am going to take the good with the bad

Reaction Score
On a good team, Vance Jackson is a very solid, 20-25 min per night type a player. Thats my point. The only good this year has done is it gave valuable minutes to two guys who on a good team, are role players. Sure, it adds to UConn's depth. But, overall, neither Jackson nor Vital will be a key to next year's success. We have no front court. Anyone who takes yesterdays' result and somehow projects that to next year is fooling themselves.
We see great teams like SMU this year or Dayton the past few years with basically no frontcourt at all. Duke usually only has one big on the court and it's a lanky power forward playing the 5. College ball is guard dominated. I'm glad we have the young skilled players we do even if we lack a great young big man as of right now.

Next year we'll be using 2 SFs the majority of the time in Larrier and Jackson. Vance is going to be a huge part of the team. And honestly, even though we will miss the rim protection we have this year, our offense will likely be a ton better with 4 of Adams, Larrier, Jackson, Gilbert, Vital, and Ashton-Langford on the court most of the time. The spacing and ball movement should be much better and it will allow us to play with much better pace.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
You don't have points, you have opinions. Don't confuse the two. I see nothing in your last two posts that resembles a real point, just a lot of angsty, emo irrationality.

Forgive me if I put no credence in the opinions expressed in such posts. I've found it's good practice to categorically dismiss opinions driven by such unchecked negativity. Nothing personal.

Reaction Score

Vital and Jackson won't be key to UConn's success next year?

Reaction Score
Rodney appears to be realizing that less means more for him.

Rodney has been trying to do more often because there is literally no one else able at that time to do it. When I watched the Rodney highlight video a couple weeks ago, it was amazing to hear the crowd counting down the play clock as he hauled up another missed 3, over and over again.

I agree with you in general that he is now more effective, but I wonder how much was on his shoulders from the lack of alternatives on the perimeter.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm glad the people who really count are not like the debbie downers. And no I'm not talking about the fans who are taking the opposite position. I'm talking about the players and coaches.

I honestly expected this team to quit after the Ohio State game. And then the Auburn game. And certainly after the Georgetown game. But they haven't. I'm giving kudos to KO, the rest of the staff and the players who continue to gut it out on the court game after game with all the adversity they've had to deal with.

They have the most at stake in the outcome of games, in the direction of the program. Yet I'm not seeing them be as negative over this season as people whose only contribution to success is? Yep nothing.

If the coaches and players got together and said "this is a lost season", "we've got nothing to play for", what would be our reaction? If they started yelling and screaming at each other do people really think that helps?

I'm hoping the players are trying to get better every game, and bounce back if they don't. I'm hoping the team continues to develop and have each others back. I'm hoping they treat each other with respect and not throw their team mates under the bus because a player's play was not up to a standard. I hope they don't discard the guys who are gone after this season. Give me these attitudes over any season's record.

Reaction Score
Vital and Jackson won't be key to UConn's success next year?
Assuming everyone is healthy, Vital is our 4th option at guard and Jackson(assuming we start 3 front court players) is 4th or 5th in the rotation. So yeah, they are role players on a good team.

Reaction Score
You don't have points, you have opinions. Don't confuse the two. I see nothing in your last two posts that resembles a real point, just a lot of angsty, emo irrationality.

Forgive me if I put no credence in the opinions expressed in such posts. I've found it's good practice to categorically dismiss opinions driven by such unchecked negativity. Nothing personal.
Yeah, its totally good practice to put no credence in opinions that differ from yours. Guess we know who you voted for President.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Assuming everyone is healthy, Vital is our 4th option at guard and Jackson(assuming we start 3 front court players) is 4th or 5th in the rotation. So yeah, they are role players on a good team.
I bet Vital starts at SG next year, with Alterique & MAL as off-the-bench options. And I bet that Vance & Terry are our starting forwards.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We see great teams like SMU this year or Dayton the past few years with basically no frontcourt at all. Duke usually only has one big on the court and it's a lanky power forward playing the 5. College ball is guard dominated. I'm glad we have the young skilled players we do even if we lack a great young big man as of right now.

Next year we'll be using 2 SFs the majority of the time in Larrier and Jackson. Vance is going to be a huge part of the team. And honestly, even though we will miss the rim protection we have this year, our offense will likely be a ton better with 4 of Adams, Larrier, Jackson, Gilbert, Vital, and Ashton-Langford on the court most of the time. The spacing and ball movement should be much better and it will allow us to play with much better pace.
If we can rebound at all next year it will be off to the races with those guards and Larrier. Was looking for some of that this year but with the injuries will have to wait for next year. In the meantime, tons of minutes and experience for CV and VJ. Future does look bright from here.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I bet Vital starts at SG next year, with Alterique & MAL as off-the-bench options. And I bet that Vance & Terry are our starting forwards.
Not sure I agree on the Vital part. Adams and Gilbert are sure fire starters. MAL and Vital will come off the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom