This may not go down as a "great" win but... | The Boneyard

This may not go down as a "great" win but...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The 2nd half was about as entertaining a UCONN performance as I've seen in a long time. Energy, purpose, scoring from everywhere, contributions from everyone... I know this season has been by and large a heaping pile of dog crap, but that 2nd half was fun to see...

Adams was real good of course, but he wasn't the only one who looked good out there. Vital made good decisions. Future looks bright. So glad to see it... positive post. That's all!

Reaction Score
I would have liked to see us control the game from start to finish when considering USF's record. With Kentan having an off night this was not possible so dominating the second half was a positive. Keep improving guys.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
USF is 286th in the Pomeroy ratings. It was nice to make some shots. They put them away. If you bet you UConn you made some money.

USF is so bad they are 20 spots behind 4-12 Tulane.

A road win against a bad team is a road win - cross it off and move onto the next one.

Reaction Score
With 6 players, this was a good win, I don't care that USF is awful.

I thought they played well too. Kentan did not have his best game.

But, the 3 pointers went in. That is the main difference here. At the end of the day.

Then again, up until the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half, I thought USF shot well too.

I saw Jalen and Rodney play tighter defense on the guards. It is still January, but our defensive rotation is still not set. It usually gels around now as UConn starts to close out on 3 point shooters. Maybe the zone is setting UConns D back some.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah I guess a win against the 286th best team in the country who hasn't won in a month and fired their coach in that time frame is something.

It counts as a win in the left column, trying to take anything out of it more than that seems a bit silly. USF is about as good as UNF and both games played out the same way. They were way too close in the second half and they put them away. If they beat Quinnipiac on the road Saturday that would be more impressive - but I guess we need to pretend this was something because it's on the schedule.

Reaction Score
Yeah I guess a win against the 286th best team in the country who hasn't won in a month and fired their coach in that time frame is something.

It counts as a win in the left column, trying to take anything out of it more than that seems a bit silly. USF is about as good as UNF and both games played out the same way. They were way too close in the second half and they put them away. If they beat Quinnipiac on the road Saturday that would be more impressive - but I guess we need to pretend this was something because it's on the schedule.

As you noted 2 posts above, it was a road win. Our second of the year, and it was by a lot more points than the first. Vance, Vital and Jalen all played well. Hopefully they gained confidence from that. If they'd had more confidence against Georgetown, OSU and Tulsa, we'd have 3 more road wins this year.

So maybe this game was nothing more than a mark in the W column, or maybe it helped a young core grow. Either way, it's not about pretending. It's about hoping.

Reaction Score
USF is 286th in the Pomeroy ratings. It was nice to make some shots. They put them away. If you bet you UConn you made some money.

USF is so bad they are 20 spots behind 4-12 Tulane.

A road win against a bad team is a road win - cross it off and move onto the next one.
They might be that terrible, but they were lighting it up from 3 early.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yes it was USF but we did what we were supposed to do; beat them even though shorthanded.

Just glad to see we're taking care of business ON THE ROAD!
I agree... imagine if UConn lost wow

Reaction Score
yeah its more good we didn't lose to a bad team than that we beat it, but beyond that we hit shots. Purvis saw a bunch drop, Jalen had a great game offensively, Vital shot the lights out. Sometimes we miss 8 wide open 3's in a row, so making shots is making shots regardless of the team it comes against

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if anyone ever claimed in the past making shots against Coppin State was the same as making shots against Syracuse, but here we are.
Couldn't agree more. Finding anything - positive or negative - from last nights game is comical. This is a lost season. Not only did it absolve the coaching staff of criticism but it hasn't helped the area we need it most....... Our front court! For Uconn to be much of anything next year, they need major contributions from the likes of Durham, Enoch, Diarra etc. This season has done very little to propel Uconn going forward.

Reaction Score
To borrow a phrase this year has become survive and advance. It was a win against a team we should beat. Take it and move on to the next one. If we had won the games that we should have we'd have 2 more wins this year. So in that sense it was positive but that's about it.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. Finding anything - positive or negative - from last nights game is comical. This is a lost season. Not only did it absolve the coaching staff of criticism but it hasn't helped the area we need it most.. Our front court! For Uconn to be much of anything next year, they need major contributions from the likes of Durham, Enoch, Diarra etc. This season has done very little to propel Uconn going forward.
Vance might end up playing the 4 a decent amount next yr once Larrier comes back. Any minutes he gets is a positive for next yr. His jump shot is back. Kid looks locked in and way more confident. 3's, mid-range, FT's....all looked great. He also isn't afraid to drive. Love it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. Finding anything - positive or negative - from last nights game is comical. This is a lost season. Not only did it absolve the coaching staff of criticism but it hasn't helped the area we need it most.. Our front court! For Uconn to be much of anything next year, they need major contributions from the likes of Durham, Enoch, Diarra etc. This season has done very little to propel Uconn going forward.
SMH
Take the blinders off will ya

Reaction Score
This three game span regardless of wins and loses is a strong reminder of how far UConn has fallen from Big East to AAC. ECU, USF, and Tulane, this is stretch to even be a mid-major schedule.

No way you can return to a elite program in this conference. How does UConn get out of the AAC????

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
There is plenty to be gained from a game like last night. Vital has strung a few good games together. Jackson is miles ahead of where he was a month ago and is actually rebounding now. Jaylen is getting more efficient. And we haven't been banned for the NCAA tournament. So, we are playing for seeding and then let's see how we react to the AAC tournament in Hartford.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Saw some good things but again it's against USF. Take a peak at their schedule/results, they are beyond awful.

Yes, but so is Wagner, and we lost to them, at home, with a complete lineup. Winning by 20 on the road, with six healthy players, is pretty darned good no matter who you play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom