This is what UConn football has become? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This is what UConn football has become?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Somebody cited some southern recruits, but those are low caliber players. We need a couple solid recruits to boost the program, not the scraps from the ACC, Big10, SEC, and Big12.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So because he doesn't have any HC experience you don't give him the opportunity to be one?

If we are going to go by that logic, then I would have much rather we made Hank Hughes the head coach than McGee. He has proven himself as a coordinator, he understood our system at the time, and he understood our players at the time. McGee still wouldn't have been my first coach by that criteria...

Reaction Score
If O Line is our weakness, then passing and running will suffer. And it has. I think our weakness is our current talent level on offense, personally.

Are you serious??? We have plenty of talent here... Do you know anything about football? every post you write seems like you lack football IQ... The coaches job is to utilize the talent and put them in the position to execute... DeLeone hasn't done that...

The O-Line is talented, but DeLeone system is to complex for the O-Line

Look at ULM we have better talent than them, but there coach has put them in a position to execute... They did pretty good against SEC teams and Baylor with ok talent

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Somebody cited some southern recruits, but those are low caliber players. We need a couple solid recruits to boost the program, not the scraps from the ACC, Big10, SEC, and Big12.

That was me. Feel free to respond to this post when I ask you which big-time southern recruits you think we were in the mix for and should have had? I'll wait...

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
That was me. Feel free to respond to this post when I ask you which big-time southern recruits you think we were in the mix for and should have had? I'll wait...

We won't get a big-time recruit (even if they live in Europe or Asia) unless we start producing results on the field.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
We won't get a big-time recruit (even if they live in Europe or Asia) unless we start producing results on the field.

So you are saying that our lack of performance on the field is due to our lack of recruits, and our problem in recruiting is due to the lack of performance on the field? GENIUS!!! Why didn't anyone esle think of that???

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
So you are saying that our lack of performance on the field are due to our lack of recruits, and our problem in recruiting is due to the lack of performance on the field? GENIUS!!! Why didn't anyone esle think of that???

There's no need to be brazen. Once we start winning bowl games year in and year out, recruits will consider us more.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
There's no need to be brazen. Once we start winning bowl games year in and year out, recruits will consider us more.

My brazen post was more due to the confusion of not knowing what you are complaining about. You say we aren't recruiting well, but then you say that we can't recruit until we start winning. So essentially, I'm asking you what you are specifically complaining about. It's always easy to say, "Let's get the best players and then win games with them!" I just don't understand what you think we should be doing differently...

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
My brazen post was more due to the confusion of not knowing what you are complaining about. You say we aren't recruiting well, but then you say that we can't recruit until we start winning. So essentially, I'm asking you what you are specifically complaining about. It's always easy to say, "Let's get the best players and then win games with them!" I just don't understand what you think we should be doing differently...

Well you necessarily don't need the best recruits, but decent recruiting will do wonders with great coaching. Calhoun did it in basketball from 1986-2012.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Mike Leach ended up at Washington State of all places. He would absolutely consider Uconn.

Randy Edsell will be looking for work shortly.

Or as long as we're talking Maryland, what about the fat guy they fired for no particular reason? He's a pretty solid coach.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Just absolutely pathetic. This has to be another of too many low points. PP is tired and old and has to go. Warde Manuel from the powerhouse Buffalo ain't the key to bringing us to the next level and is another half ass hire along with the other clown over her head, Herbst. UConn is just not serious about this program and it shows. Small thinkers, hiring small people, accepting mediocrity. Totally sick of this crap.

I'd like to highlight this post as being almost the perfect combination of arrogance and ignorance. We have a Head Coach, a AD and a President but of course we were destined for greatness if we had only followed your plan for success. Well done sir. You are the winner.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Gus Malzahn? My only concern about him is how well our defense would hold up under him. Defense is a tradition of ours.
That and his wife is batsh!t crazy.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well you necessarily don't need the best recruits, but decent recruiting will do wonders with great coaching. Calhoun did it in basketball from 1986-2012.

Right. So again, I'm going to ask you the question I asked before, which is, "What recruits do you think we missed on that we should have landed?" Because your post is suggesting that we don't have the talent in the clubhouse currently to beat Western Michigan. I don't happen to believe that, personally, so I'd just like to hear who you think we should have had instead.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
By the way, Calhoun did it with players like Phil Gamble, Cliff Robinson, Tate George, etc. It wasn't even until Chris Smith that we landed a recruit that was coveted by other big squads (he chose to stay home in CT), and we had already won the NIT by then. In fact, if you really want to look at it fairly, Donyell Marshall was probably our first true big-time recruit, and that was 6 years after Calhoun took the job!!

Reaction Score
Are you serious??? We have plenty of talent here... Do you know anything about football? every post you write seems like you lack football IQ... The coaches job is to utilize the talent and put them in the position to execute... DeLeone hasn't done that...

The O-Line is talented, but DeLeone system is to complex for the O-Line

Look at ULM we have better talent than them, but there coach has put them in a position to execute... They did pretty good against SEC teams and Baylor with ok talent

No, I know nothing about football. Read my posts, I am clueless. I am actually a big cricket fan. But the cricket boards aren't really interesting, so I come to this board to post about a sport I know nothing about. I just found out yesterday that there are 3 point scores in this game. When did that happen? Field goals? Interesting stuff.

You obviously know a ton about football. Probably the most intelligent poster on this board. My new plan is just to read your posts so that I can catch up on this new, wonderful sport. You seem to have a realistic view of this team, and your suggestions for benching and promotions should be pinned to the top of the board. Many would say suggesting a freshman all american running back get less playing time would be crazy talk, but I am going with you there. Oh, and wanting a coach who is currently 0-3 for a Conference USA team? Some might think that is odd. Me? Smartest thing I have read on the internet.

I promise you, I will think long and hard before I offer my opinions on what I see on the field and in the offseason. I don't want anyone here to be turned off by my woeful lack of understanding of the game.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
By the way, Calhoun did it with players like Phil Gamble, Cliff Robinson, Tate George, etc. It wasn't even until Chris Smith that we landed a recruit that was coveted by other big squads (he chose to stay home in CT), and we had already won the NIT by then. In fact, if you really want to look at it fairly, Donyell Marshall was probably our first true big-time recruit, and that was 6 years after Calhoun took the job!!

Robinson was already at UConn when Calhoun took the job. But still, Calhoun won the NIT in his 2nd year on the job. He had some good players, yes, but not spectacular (you could debate Cliff). I just don't see PP doing that in football. He doesn't seem to have a connection with his players and he obviously is having trouble moving the ball on offense.

But we can't compare Calhoun to PP. It's like comparing a hot, fresh apple pie to a stale Hostess pastry.

Reaction Score
HCPP couldn't win at cuse but recruited well. Why would Hathaway believe he could coach now. We hired a coach who should be collecting Social Security. I say that understanding coach Calhoun is old but we didn't hire him when he was old. When we hired him did we think he was going to be our coach for the next 10 years.

We have a big problem. We need to get into a major conference. But all this realignment is based off of football. We have no history of big time football and i say that having played 84-88. We suck right now so not even showing we belong today.

We have to show we have the will to be a BCS program. Paying a quality coach what he is worth is what we must do. We went the route of PP because we could get him for the cheap. We didn't want to pay. The administration must show that they will do what it takes to be a decent program worthy of major conference affiliation. That starts with hiring a coach that can coach and recruit and you must pay to get one.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
HCPP couldn't win at cuse but recruited well. Why would Hathaway believe he could coach now. We hired a coach who should be collecting Social Security. I say that understanding coach Calhoun is old but we didn't hire him when he was old. When we hired him did we think he was going to be our coach for the next 10 years.

We have a big problem. We need to get into a major conference. But all this realignment is based off of football. We have no history of big time football and i say that having played 84-88. We suck right now so not even showing we belong today.

We have to show we have the will to be a BCS program. Paying a quality coach what he is worth is what we must do. We went the route of PP because we could get him for the cheap. We didn't want to pay. The administration must show that they will do what it takes to be a decent program worthy of major conference affiliation. That starts with hiring a coach that can coach and recruit and you must pay to get one.

Amen.

Reaction Score
Name them... (and please don't start w/ Mike Leach and R-Rod as they were too radioactive @ the time). Remember the time frame we are talking about.
Precisely why we may have had a chance. Unless,odd course, you're not into winning.

Reaction Score

We have a big problem. We need to get into a major conference. But all this realignment is based off of football. We have no history of big time football and i say that having played
84-88. We suck right now so not even showing we belong today.

That is an absolutely astute post. Either we act big time or go back to the CAA.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
But we can't compare Calhoun to PP.

So then why did you??? And for the record, I'm well aware that Cliff was there. I said Calhoun "did it" with those players...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
HCPP couldn't win at cuse but recruited well.

I think some of the Boneyarders have lost their minds now. I know that was a maddening loss, but let's get real for a second here! The man couldn't win at cuse??? He is the winningest coach in Big East history, and the vast majority of those wins were at cuse!!!

1991 - 10-2 Won Hall of Fame
1992 - 10-2 Won Fiesta
1993 - 6-4-1
1994 - 7-4
1995 - 9-3 Won Gator
1996 - 9-3 Won Liberty
1997 - 9-4 Lost Fiesta
1998 - 8-4 Lost Orange
1999 - 7-5 Won Music City
2000 - 6-5
2001 - 10-3 Won Insight
2002 - 4-8
2003 - 6-6
2004 - 6-6 Lost Champs

Total 107-59-1

And to think that someon said "Amen" to your comment means that the loss today has sent multiple Boneyarders haywire...

Reaction Score
I wonder what people are going to say when we finish the year 10 - 2.....I can't wait, it is going to be hilarious

Reaction Score
Butchy said: ↑
Gus Malzahn? My only concern about him is how well our defense would hold up under him. Defense is a tradition of ours.

Maybe winning should be a tradition of ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom