This Is What They Do | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This Is What They Do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
View attachment 37009

Clearly tugging on Superwoman's cape here. If you watch the game without following the ball necessarily you will find a fair amount of jersy tugging and arm entangling from a slower ND team.
The arm entanglement is old hat with ND, remember the number games Steff had fouls called on her for getting a forearm to the throat or arm wrapped around hers??
The tugging is one thing the pushing her out of bounds clearly another.

I dislike the color of the Uconn Uniforms, fit was excellent. However, I must insist Uconn keep these uniforms for every away game. No point in changing the Mojo.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Thinking that Nan is right, at least in part. But attempts to injure opponents is beyond the pale, and it is being called out (by others) as being such. As far as I’m concerned, it is now time for the coaches and AD’s to do (or refuse to do) the right things. Fan outrage duly noted. I’m moving on.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I’m now on my iPad and was able to enlarge the picture in the OP above. Shepard isn’t grabbing the jersey, she’s got her hand on Liv’s hip but doesn’t appear to be pushing her.

This whole thing about ND trying to hurt people is absolutely absurd and our continuing to go on about this stuff ungracious on our part. I am, honestly, disgusted by UConn fans’ whining

Nan, ONO's jersey has "drag marks" matching the player's clawed hand up to her chest. She's clearly pulling the jersey. Maybe you have to lighten up your contrast. Or try this from the original article:

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.tow...e37-ae16-f3730de8a42f/5c0487404d429.image.jpg

She's pulling the jersey and the hand check went out a few years ago too. If she had her hand on ONO's arm would it be a foul?

The article: NOTRE DAME WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: No. 1 Irish clipped by No. 2 Huskies

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thinking that Nan is right, at least in part. But attempts to injure opponents is beyond the pale, and it is being called out (by others) as being such. As far as I’m concerned, it is now time for the coaches and AD’s to do (or refuse to do) the right things. Fan outrage duly noted. I’m moving on.
I’m not talking about the intentional fouls, I’m talking about UConn fans scouring pictures looking for something to complain about. There are numerous threads and posts devoted to AO’s play; why go looking for other stuff to complain about?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Me too. But for 2 decades we have watched ND engage in things that plenty of teams do, just turning it into a practiced art form. They finally got so blatant about the flop that it had to fall out of their arsenal, but much lingers on.

Reaction Score
Shepard is absolutely the last player I would criticize. I'd like to see the whole sequence but she's a classy kid and player.

The piling on is getting ridiculous. Didn't UConn win last night? Why do we keep looking for grievances?
Not for grievances, but for sportsmanship. If somebody picks up a foul by honestly trying to make a play on the ball, that’s one thing. But if someone is pull jerseys, tripping, elbowing, shouldering, etc. then it’s not longer acceptable. That puts players in danger and the last thing anyone should want is to see player get injured. Intentional fouls that could legitimately lead to injury should be automatic technicals in my opinion. Undercutting and elbowing to name a couple of the fouls that are heinous and unacceptable.

Reaction Score
I’m not talking about the intentional fouls, I’m talking about UConn fans scouring pictures looking for something to complain about. There are numerous threads and posts devoted to AO’s play; why go looking for other stuff to complain about?
Because a lot happened in that game that shouldn’t have. Not saying UConn is perfect and always the victim, but there is no need to trip a player or play excessively dirty.

Reaction Score
Nan, ONO's jersey has "drag marks" matching the player's clawed hand up to her chest. She's clearly pulling the jersey. Maybe you have to lighten up your contrast. Or try this from the original article:

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.tow...e37-ae16-f3730de8a42f/5c0487404d429.image.jpg

She's pulling the jersey and the hand check went out a few years ago too. If she had her hand on ONO's arm would it be a foul?

The article: NOTRE DAME WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: No. 1 Irish clipped by No. 2 Huskies
I believe most of these posts are not so much focused on one particular jersey pull but the tendency throughout game to go beyond common physical play. Williams legs cut from under her on drive, Crystal's head nearly taken off several times running down court, several players taking elbows to face, etc. are examples. Even a hand check to a jumping player often results in a awkward landing and knee/ankle injuries.

Reaction Score
CoCo Husky makes some good points. First, I do not see UConn grabbing, pulling, etc. like ND does. Is it part of the game? It depends. However, my beef is that ND DOES NOT typically get called for all the grabbing, pulling, etc. In addition, (other posters mentioned this too) ND drives in and more times than not initiates hard contact. It's a smart play. However, (check the film at 1:06 left in the game when the ND player bends over and drives her shoulder into Lou's mid section. Guess What? No call against ND. I have been watching BB for 50 years and WBB for almost 30. ND does more of its share of grabbing, etc. ( not dirty), but they do not get called for it at the rate of them committing it. UConn gets called for more ticky tack touches and it can sway a game. That is not a grievance. It is a visible fact.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This may have been the bucket where I thought to myself.. jeez.. that's as high as she can jump? That would explain it. :D Stuff like this doesn't bother me though.. that's just gamesmanship and if it gets called it gets called. If not.. that sucks and hopefully the next one does.
Agree. Tuck used to use the the hook on almost all her baseline moves.

The hip check under cuts and malicious plays are what need to be addressed.
Yea, that one (Ogunbowale on Williams) was really bad. Luckily she got the &1.

Reaction Score
Shepard's stock certainly went up with me after watching her in the handshake line. I also admire her obvious effort in approving her conditioning.

If she was holding on to a UConn player's jersey while the player was attempting a shot - so what? If she makes the shooter miss, good for her. If the ref calls it, also good for her. Better 2 shots from the foul line than a bunny under the basket. What it isn't is "dirty play."

Oh really. This board is great at quoting the rule book. Where does it say this is allowed?
The women’s game is currently much more fluid than the men’s game. Please let us not let the women’s game be a tug of war like the Men’s game. Naismith has already turned over in his grave.

Reaction Score
When I was young I was actually coached to grap a players shorts when he was going to jump for a rebound as it would tend to keep him down or even to stand on his foot! I never liked that coach and he was eventually dismissed for it. I don't see that as bad as undercutting which MUST be called before someone is injured. It can happen accidentally but is still a bad foul. All teams foul on layups (see Crystals hard slap near beginning of game) and is usually called. I just want to see the intentional, dangerous, injury inviting things get severely punished and removed from the game. For everyone. I know the NCAA had reviewed football games for that stuff - do they ever review women's sports for it?

Reaction Score
The BY is the End Zone where Husky posters come to spike the ball after wins, especially one over a "hated" rival. If Geno gets hot over the abuse of one of his players and draws a foul, we say he's only protecting his players. I think that's what most folks here are saying: fouling is one thing, causing bodily harm is another. However, if the celebrating becomes egregiously unsportsmanlike, toss that Moderator's Yellow Hanky.
And, yes, Jessica Shepherd is no villain.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Agree. Tuck used to use the the hook on almost all her baseline moves.

Yea, that one (Ogunbowale on Williams) was really bad. Luckily she got the &1.
I just saw that watching the highlights a moment ago. That's at least three "plays" trying to hurt an opposing player. But the one that bothers me the most is grabbing a player's hair from behind and jerking her head back. To me that should be subject to review and at least a Flagrant I.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The BY is the End Zone where Husky posters come to spike the ball after wins, especially one over a "hated" rival. If Geno gets hot over the abuse of one of his players and draws a foul, we say he's only protecting his players. I think that's what most folks here are saying: fouling is one thing, causing bodily harm is another. However, if the celebrating becomes egregiously unsportsmanlike, toss that Moderator's Yellow Hanky.
And, yes, Jessica Shepherd is no villain.
It looked to me as if she told Geno in the line to ignore Arike's refusal to shake his hand. That to me was impressive and indicated she believed Arike was wrong for the snub.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
The ND team has some high-character players on it, namely: Jackie Young, Jessica Shepard and Brianna Turner. I also love the competitive spirit of Mabry and Arike and think they are really good and exciting players who often deliver in big games. That said, it seems that Arike is trying to establish herself as the team's enforcer and perhaps its "UConn Killer" (if there is such a thing). Perhaps she thinks she can scare and intimidate the opposition enough that it will give her and the team a slight competitive edge in games against key rivals. But I think this "enforcer" attitude makes her the latent Achilles heel of her team. How this will all end remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
By focusing on Shepard or even this play specifically you maybe missing @RockyMTblue2 main point. This was an example and typical of ND's played throughout the game-grabbing and tugging that was not called.
But better than the flopping drills that were typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom