This Is What They Do | The Boneyard

This Is What They Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
1543849442592.png

Clearly tugging on Superwoman's cape here. If you watch the game without following the ball necessarily you will find a fair amount of jersy tugging and arm entangling from a slower ND team.

Reaction Score
This may have been the bucket where I thought to myself.. jeez.. that's as high as she can jump? That would explain it. :D Stuff like this doesn't bother me though.. that's just gamesmanship and if it gets called it gets called. If not.. that sucks and hopefully the next one does. The hip check under cuts and malicious plays are what need to be addressed.

Reaction Score
Well they still just drive into the defender dropping their shoulders and get bogus calls. Funniest was when Mabrey tried and just fell over as she is not quick enough to make it to the defender but still throws her arms up whining for a foul.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Shepard is absolutely the last player I would criticize. I'd like to see the whole sequence but she's a classy kid and player.

The piling on is getting ridiculous. Didn't UConn win last night? Why do we keep looking for grievances?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
You can see the ref has a clear shot of the foul. With the talent on that team there is no reason for the dirty play.

Reaction Score
This may have been the bucket where I thought to myself.. jeez.. that's as high as she can jump? That would explain it. :D Stuff like this doesn't bother me though.. that's just gamesmanship and if it gets called it gets called. If not.. that sucks and hopefully the next one does. The hip check under cuts and malicious plays are what need to be addressed.
While I don't mind the minor pushes and shirt tugs, in the playoffs it has always appeared that ND ramps up their physical play on both offense and defense and typically gets away with it. Like most sports, you need to play to the level the refs allow, so on one hand, you have to give ND kudos. On the other hand, at times when they undercut the shooter or push bodies over, gets dangerous.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Shepard's stock certainly went up with me after watching her in the handshake line. I also admire her obvious effort in approving her conditioning.

If she was holding on to a UConn player's jersey while the player was attempting a shot - so what? If she makes the shooter miss, good for her. If the ref calls it, also good for her. Better 2 shots from the foul line than a bunny under the basket. What it isn't is "dirty play."

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
View attachment 37009

Clearly tugging on Superwoman's cape here. If you watch the game without following the ball necessarily you will find a fair amount of jersy tugging and arm entangling from a slower ND team.
I see stuff like this in nearly every game, form many different players. Shepard, Young,and Turner are just playing the game. Sorta like ONO blocking and "hitting" Mabrey. There are two ND players that are too aggressive. I'm out!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I'm sure this came up elsewhere but... I loved the O-board, loved the put back, but Megan shaking off Mabrey's attempted pull-down and leaving her flat on her back without even looking back, was indescribably delicious.

Another unnecessary, chippy play by ND in a quarter filled with them.

It's in the highlight package.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I loved the O-board, loved the put back, but Megan shaking off Mabrey's attempted pull-down and leaving her flat on her back without even looking back, was indescribably delicious. Another unnecessary, chippy play by ND in a quarter filled with them.

It's in the highlight package.

That was discussed in another thread. But it's worth seeing again.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and another excuse to replay the highlights. Probably lose my job but small price to pay. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I remember that Stef typically had bloody arms from all the fingernail scratching in N.D. games.

Thank you. I was straining my small brain for that this morning with no success.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Shepard's stock certainly went up with me after watching her in the handshake line. I also admire her obvious effort in approving her conditioning.

If she was holding on to a UConn player's jersey while the player was attempting a shot - so what? If she makes the shooter miss, good for her. If the ref calls it, also good for her. Better 2 shots from the foul line than a bunny under the basket. What it isn't is "dirty play."
By focusing on Shepard or even this play specifically you maybe missing @RockyMTblue2 main point. This was an example and typical of ND's played throughout the game-grabbing and tugging that was not called.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Shepard is absolutely the last player I would criticize. I'd like to see the whole sequence but she's a classy kid and player.

The piling on is getting ridiculous. Didn't UConn win last night? Why do we keep looking for grievances?

Well, we are nearing Festivus. I'm looking forward to the Feats of Strength personally.

after-we-have-the-airing-of-grievances-lets-meet-by-the-festivus-pole-for-the-feats-of-strength-78626.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tugging on jerseys goes on all the time. It’s not unique to ND
Similar to an argument I had a few years ago with @Orangutan regarding Madison cable- you are what you repeatedly do. In Madison's case she would repeatedly move under a player after the player has left their feet. Tugging on a player after they go up for a shot is both wrong and dangerous. It becomes worse if someone (coach or referee) doesn't point out that this is wrong. When you have a whole team doing it unchecked got think the coach is OK with it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Similar to an argument I had a few years ago with @Orangutan regarding Madison cable- you are what you repeatedly do. In Madison's case she would repeatedly move under a player after the player has left their feet. Tugging on a player after they go up for a shot is both wrong and dangerous. It becomes worse if someone (coach or referee) doesn't point out that this is wrong. When you have a whole team doing it unchecked got think the coach is OK with it.
I’m now on my iPad and was able to enlarge the picture in the OP above. Shepard isn’t grabbing the jersey, she’s got her hand on Liv’s hip but doesn’t appear to be pushing her.

This whole thing about ND trying to hurt people is absolutely absurd and our continuing to go on about this stuff ungracious on our part. I am, honestly, disgusted by UConn fans’ whining

arch

Reaction Score
I’m now on my iPad and was able to enlarge the picture in the OP above. Shepard isn’t grabbing the jersey, she’s got her hand on Liv’s hip but doesn’t appear to be pushing her.

This whole thing about ND trying to hurt people is absolutely absurd and our continuing to go on about this stuff ungracious on our part. I am, honestly, disgusted by UConn fans’ whining

While disagreeing with your characterization of some UConn posters I would point to 1:12 of the highlights. Might that moment have precipitated the “ungracious” behavior that followed.

P.S. How would it “appear to be pushing her” look?
P.P.S. The uniform top appears to be being pulled towards the hand that appears to be pulling, no? Maybe not.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This particular whine of mine is admittedly a well aged one. I'm am very much a UCONN fan but that whine is not specific to UCONN or ND. I despise that style of play, in rec league , in cyo, in my over 50 league.
We saw it from ND last night. It is when a team begins to feel like they are beaten and resort to thuggin it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom