This is what rock bottom looks like | Page 4 | The Boneyard

This is what rock bottom looks like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rock bottom for me was non-competitive blowouts to UCF and Cinci last year with a demoralized team. It was brutal how bad we were. Casey gave us some hope that we would field a real college offense this year that would give us a chance to win games when we didn't hold the opponent to 17 points or less. We need a QB that can make the plays to win. It is on Whitmer and we will know quickly (within 2 games) if it is on to Boyle. Bright spots so far this year are we have replaced our kicker and punter with young guys that look up to the task. It is too early to tell if the O-line is going to pan out. The RB's should be better once they stop fumbling. The defense with quite a few new players getting time get's a big test this week. They have some things to improve on but have potential. What troubles me the most is the attendance decline starting with Rutgers last year. I think the team is on the way up, not sure about the fanbase.

UCF on the road last season was the very worst I can ever recall. The team should never have gotten off the bus. Never mind, that should never have left their dorm rooms and gone to the airport.

We have come light years from that point, and I don't ever want to be back there again.

Reaction Score
Rock bottom was 41-12 against Buffalo last season.

If that wasn't rock bottom, you're all welcome to come to my house for the funeral.

We can drink bourbon and watch my apple trees die of blight or whatever the hell is killing them.
I'd join you but I'll be watching my eastern hemlocks die of wooly adelgid.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Rock bottom was 41-12 against Buffalo last season.

If that wasn't rock bottom, you're all welcome to come to my house for the funeral.

We can drink bourbon and watch my apple trees die of blight or whatever the hell is killing them.

Was it the Kemba winning runner vs. nova game in 2011 where P addressed the crowd at Gampel? It was excruciating. It was already clear he was a terrible hire. I'd call that the top.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Rock bottom is going to be when Cincinnati and Central Florida are snatched up by P5 conferences and we're left all alone.
Yep. BIG12 for them. crAAC for us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You call the bottom and a few hours later the coach is begging people to come to game. See not rock bottom yet.

Reaction Score
I just gotta wonder what kind of person wants to know what rock bottom is and identify it. you got to go up, not down. The only failure, big time, in game 2 was diaco's and it came after the game. We got the win, and that is always, the ultimate mark of success, did you get the W or not?

The failure is that he didn't just say things like they are to boneyard die hard fans, which like it or not, represent the majority of UCONN football fans out there now. He's got to realize that, until the program starts winning and gets back to where it was, he's not going to have the ear, eye, and attention of the 'casual' UConn football fan. They aren't interested right now. That's what the past 3 seasons did.

Tell it like if frigging is, to the people that care about the program right now, when we suck. We sucked ass, but we managed to win. We'll get better. That flies a lot farther. We played better against BYU I think, much better, and the worry, in my mind, is that the trend of playing to the level of the opponent, continues. That's something that hopefully gets squared away quick, as we transition into phase 2 of the plan for this season.

Reaction Score
You call the bottom and a few hours later the coach is begging people to come to game. See not rock bottom yet.

Another jerk post from degenerate Whaler. Still mad the coach didn't play to cover the spread in week one?

but Nelson liked your post, it will be so freaking enjoyable watching you two jerks give each other reach arounds the rest of this football season.

Last edited:

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I had posted this as a hypothetical in a different thread, but IF some other conference a few months back were to have said : show us that the P era was a temporary setback, show us that UConn football has a pulse, show us Diaco can turn this around, show us that your fans support your team... And let's talk after the season.

IF that were said, then we are in a world of hurt. Ok even if that wasn't said, but more so if it was.

So is it rock bottom watching our demise in person week to week? No one game seals our fate of course... But for the love of god we need to give fans, non-fans, conferences a reason to believe. So far we haven't and it kills me. Diaco will get us there eventually but will it be too late? That's why barely eeking out a W against SB is unacceptable... There are larger issues at play than simply boiling it down to "a win is a win".

I can only assume the posters to this thread follow only UConn and not CFB generally.

See the long, glorious athletics history of THE State University of NJ @ Piscataway.

Grow a pair and learn how to spell patience.

UConn's time WILL come.

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Reaction Score
We have balis. The team is stronger than it has been in a while. The kids are learning a completely new system. We have been stronger inn the second half. There is no quit in this team and there is heart. We will be fine. Bring on the Broncos. let s punch them in the mouth doggie style

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Another jerk post from degenerate Whaler. Still mad the coach didn't play to cover the spread in week one?

but Nelson liked your post, it will be so freaking enjoyable watching you two jerks give each other reach arounds the rest of this football season.

LOL it's sort of like the head of the bake sale liking yours.

Maybe you guys can cut up some oranges for the intermission so UConn can win the halftime.

Sorry if I don't find it becoming to have the coach begging people to come to the games 2 weeks into his career. I can promise you it won't work - it's about entertaining people, not making it an obligation.

But Diaco fits right in - UConn is completely clueless on these topics.

Reaction Score
reading this thread is nothing more than an instruction manual on how to lose or to be a loser. I had it in mind that I wanted us to get back to where PP was in his second year - 5 wins. I still think this is possible. But I will not go on a diatribe in this thread about how we suck, I have half the boneyard that can do that for me and I can read their leader Nelsonmunts . This is absolutely the most pathetic thing I have yet read on the Boneyard. BooHoo we suck, we are stuck in the AAC, wah wah, sounds like the baby needs their bottle. Suck it up, man up, go the games and be happy that we are FBS! Hell, in 1986 when I was in FL I rooted for the Patriots against the Bears. The flak I took!!! When did you guys support the Patriots or the NY Giants for that matter....and any Jets Fans???? you want sad, pathetic, guess what being a fan of your team means you are never going to win more than you lose. NY Yankees won more championships than any other pro sports team but guess what in the schemes of things they make it the championship game far less than they get to go! The Patriots lost to the Dolphins! Quick the sky is falling, Eli Manning, QB NY Giants, won two super bowls more than his brother yet most fans wish they had Patton??? We are in an area of the country spoiled because even when we win, we need to win with such dominance that the other team thinks they just witnessed DEATH! Take a win, its Diaco's first, maybe just maybe it will be contagious! And last year PP winless! I like this coach and will give him a shot, he is young energized, motivated, and does not need us armchair coaching on how to run a deficient team. This team has injuries, this team lacks mental toughness, so heck lets kick CW in the head with our words. Wah Wah Wah... Get a life, post something positive or just STFU!

Reaction Score
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...The tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

What the fluck happened to the Boneyard I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? ...
I didn't know that the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Reaction Score
The only way I am wrong about this being rock bottom is if it continues to get worse. I don't see that as possible, and I also hope it isn't possible because worse really is "shut the football program down" time. So let's go with this being rock bottom.

It really comes down to Diaco. He is the program's last chance, because by the time we would pull the plug on him being a failure, the program would be already dead. So he has to succeed. He has not looked good early, but it is way to early to tell if he will figure it out or not.

I truly don't get it. What an awful place to be in..........

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I remember when rock bottom occurred somewhere between losing to a bad Yale team in the second game of the season and having our two best players (Cliff Robinson & Phil Gamble) declared academically ineligible about six weeks later.

Rock bottom doesn't scare me. The reality is that you need to build your foundation on something solid.

Best post in the thread.

I have experienced "rock bottom" many times only to discover that there's always further to fall. When doubt and giving up were swirling in my mind all I had to hold onto was the fact that I wasn't dead yet. "Rock bottom" is death, the end of existence. Nothing more, nothing less. I am now on the verge of a huge improvement in my personal, financial and professional lives. I feel like I just hit the lottery. "Not dead yet" is my mantra.

As it relates to UConn football, WE'RE NOT DEAD YET. Far from it. "Death" for UConn football looks to me like the following: when the payout money runs out, IF we're really completely locked out of competition with P5 programs, IF we aren't regularly dominating our conference, and IF a conference upgrade really becomes a practical impossibility (barring unforeseen/unlikely events; nobody knows the future), then the continued existence of UConn football as a competitive FBS program becomes doubtful. Until that moment, the use of "rock bottom" in the context of UConn football is just melodrama.

I'm with you Fairfield. I don't fear rock bottom because we're not dead yet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
passed-out-drunk.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member