This is what rock bottom looks like | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This is what rock bottom looks like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This sounds like the heavy drinkers thread. I'm going to change my handle to "Doomed."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Then again, Boyle could be the real deal.

Thanks for that. What a bunch of whiners. The team has been terrible, but the D dominated Stony Brook, despite our obvious mistakes that handed them points and took points away from UConn. That game was definitely not as close as the score, and the BYU game was closer than the score.

The single most disappointing thing for me has been the mistakes. Through the whole PP era, this team constantly fumbled at critical times, missed key kicks, botched special teams when it mattered, took bad sacks and threw interceptions at key moments. It's still freaking doing that. It has to stop.

Stop the mistakes. Give Boyle a shot. At some point the light-bulb is going to appear over Tim's head and he's going to just get it. At that point, we'll have the best QB we've had since Dan O. I am convinced of that fact. If we've fixed the stupid mental errors by that time, this team will be far from rock bottom.

Reaction Score
A blimp could crash into the stadium, the growling dog on 3rd down gets cranked up to 11, they raise the cost of water another $1, more birds poop on the bleachers without a pressure wash, it rains every home game the rest of the way, we lose out, punters foot comes flying off after his 18th punt in a single game, UCF Cincy Houston SMU and East Carolina get invited to a P5 Conference, MAC and CUSA refuse to invite the rest of the AAC..there is still plenty of "bottom" to be found

Wish it weren't so, but the thing I learned with the Big East slowly falling apart is that there always seems to be a new bottom around the corner.

Reaction Score
The first rule of CR is "Thou Shall Kick UCONN In The Sack". There is no doubt in my mind that UCF and Cincinnati are next up on the P5 invite list, likely to the B12 in a few years once they realize that their round robin tournament doesn't generate the cash that other P5 conferences get from CGs. CCSU and Fairfield University will be the replacements.

But not young?? We play 200 guys per game and over half of them are FR. How could this roster get any younger?

It won't. A year from now it will be experienced and better than ever.

Reaction Score
I want every coach spending every extra minute of their time and thought process scouring the earth for offensive lineman. JUCO's, transfers, lumberjacks whatever. Our skill positions that have some talent depend on these guys to develop and produce. It's a good group and we can't afford to waste them.

Reaction Score
It could be worse, SMU's head coach June Jones just resigned.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A blimp could crash into the stadium, the growling dog on 3rd down gets cranked up to 11, they raise the cost of water another $1, more birds poop on the bleachers without a pressure wash, it rains every home game the rest of the way, we lose out, punters foot comes flying off after his 18th punt in a single game, UCF Cincy Houston SMU and East Carolina get invited to a P5 Conference, MAC and CUSA refuse to invite the rest of the AAC..there is still plenty of "bottom" to be found
Well that was...oddly comforting.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The only way I am wrong about this being rock bottom is if it continues to get worse. I don't see that as possible, and I also hope it isn't possible because worse really is "shut the football program down" time. So let's go with this being rock bottom.

It really comes down to Diaco. He is the program's last chance, because by the time we would pull the plug on him being a failure, the program would be already dead. So he has to succeed. He has not looked good early, but it is way to early to tell if he will figure it out or not.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I had posted this as a hypothetical in a different thread, but IF some other conference a few months back were to have said : show us that the P era was a temporary setback, show us that UConn football has a pulse, show us Diaco can turn this around, show us that your fans support your team... And let's talk after the season.

IF that were said, then we are in a world of hurt. Ok even if that wasn't said, but more so if it was.

So is it rock bottom watching our demise in person week to week? No one game seals our fate of course... But for the love of god we need to give fans, non-fans, conferences a reason to believe. So far we haven't and it kills me. Diaco will get us there eventually but will it be too late? That's why barely eeking out a W against SB is unacceptable... There are larger issues at play than simply boiling it down to "a win is a win".

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well, if this is rock bottom, then that means that we can only go up. I'm good with that. I could use a little "going up".

So now, we get ready to punch Boise State in #$%ing mouth! We are going to tap rocks all over the goddamned place, because the "going up" starts now. Thanks for the emotional pickup, Nelson!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
3 wins would be a great year for us this year. There is not much Diaco is going to do to move the needle this season.

That means Ollie needs to make it to the last weekend of the tournament again to keep UConn's profile up. Shouldn't be a problem.

Reaction Score
Well, if this is rock bottom, then that means that we can only go up. I'm good with that. I could use a little "going up".

So now, we get ready to punch Boise State in #$%ing mouth! We are going to tap rocks all over the goddamned place, because the "going up" starts now. Thanks for the emotional pickup, Nelson!

I really do mean this as a compliment: Your ability to see the silver lining in everything UConn football is remarkable.

Reaction Score
I think we can beat Boise. I do. It will really help, get there, if we don't turn the ball over twice again, to start the game.

The 9 game losing streak, which was the worst stretch of losing football in 40 years or something, of UCONN football, was definitely rock bottom as a program. Since then, we are 4-1 in our last five games as a football program.

I'm looking for some improvement this week - because if you want to talk about actually hitting rock bottom, as a team, as a 2014 football roster, the Stony Brook game could be it. That game was played so badly, that it's hard to get a grip on. lots, and lots of room to improve. I expect to see it this week, and it starts with protecting the ball on offense, and moving the chains.

Reaction Score
I really don't get the point of threads like this. Guess I'm just not wired that way. Yeah, it kinda sucks right now, but I will be there on Sat., have a good time at the tailgate and root for the kids to pull off the upset. Constantly stirring the same pile of accomplishes what?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
There was cause for optimism heading into this year, and in August I couldn't figure out how this team would win less than 5 games. Now I know.
Well congratulations, you figured it out. Here's a cookie.
Chocolate-Chip-Cookie.jpg

Reaction Score
I think we can beat Boise. I do. It will really help, get there, if we don't turn the ball over twice again, to start the game.

The 9 game losing streak, which was the worst stretch of losing football in 40 years or something, of UCONN football, was definitely rock bottom as a program. Since then, we are 4-1 in our last five games as a football program.

I'm looking for some improvement this week - because if you want to talk about actually hitting rock bottom, as a team, as a 2014 football roster, the Stony Brook game could be it. That game was played so badly, that it's hard to get a grip on. lots, and lots of room to improve. I expect to see it this week, and it starts with protecting the ball on offense, and moving the chains.

Yeah..Especially when 1 of the turnovers is in the end zone. the other on a ridiculous attempt to throw a pass and forget the ball which led to the field goal. SB only had 1 real drive at the end of the game. they did not outplay us in this game. Having said that, it still will be a tough go unless Whitmer grows up real fast or Boyle turns out to be a shining star. We can all wish.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
3 wins would be a great year for us this year. There is not much Diaco is going to do to move the needle this season.
It sounds like you're saying we haven't hit rock bottom yet.

Reaction Score
Rock bottom for me was non-competitive blowouts to UCF and Cinci last year with a demoralized team. It was brutal how bad we were. Casey gave us some hope that we would field a real college offense this year that would give us a chance to win games when we didn't hold the opponent to 17 points or less. We need a QB that can make the plays to win. It is on Whitmer and we will know quickly (within 2 games) if it is on to Boyle. Bright spots so far this year are we have replaced our kicker and punter with young guys that look up to the task. It is too early to tell if the O-line is going to pan out. The RB's should be better once they stop fumbling. The defense with quite a few new players getting time get's a big test this week. They have some things to improve on but have potential. What troubles me the most is the attendance decline starting with Rutgers last year. I think the team is on the way up, not sure about the fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom