OT: - This is reason why you never leave a close game early | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: This is reason why you never leave a close game early

Reaction Score
As an A&M alumni, I approve of this message..........

Sigh......hoping that Jimbo Fisher doesn't turn out to be an 800 million dollar pork chop, but it's looking that way......

Reaction Score
What’s the matter? Can’t take a joke? But I disagree. A prevent defense is used in a variety of situations, such as preventing conversion of a third and long or giving the offense the center of the field to keep the clock running. The Hail Mary at the end of a game when the offense is behind by more than three points is one situation where a prevent defense is employed. In general terms any defense with five or more defensive backs is a prevent defense. In the play under discussion there were seven defensive backs, one linebacker and three defensive linemen in what is referred to as the quarter defensive formation and it is one type of a prevent defense.

All I can say about prevent defense is that in 50+ years of watching sports I have never seen one work as intended. Not once, whether it was football, baseball (intentionally walking a batter is a prevent defense), hockey, whatever. Teams should just keep doing what got them to the point where they're winning or are within striking distance of winning the game. No need to overthink things.

Reaction Score
All I can say about prevent defense is that in 50+ years of watching sports I have never seen one work as intended. Not once, whether it was football, baseball (intentionally walking a batter is a prevent defense), hockey, whatever. Teams should just keep doing what got them to the point where they're winning or are within striking distance of winning the game. No need to overthink things.
Yup, ask Jason Garrett (ex coach of Dallas Cowboys.) Watching the playoffs in amazement as he tried prevent defense against the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers. #Fail. Yet he would try it over and over again, solidifying the definition of insanity as he somehow expected a different result. Just baffling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro
Top Bottom