OT: - This is reason why you never leave a close game early | The Boneyard

OT: This is reason why you never leave a close game early

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If a game is a blowout... maybe.... but if its a close game I don't see why people leave a basketball or football game until the clock hits zero..... just in case something like this happens. This afternooon, up in the NC mountains... This gotta be one of the all time classic radio calls (turn down the volume a bit)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice but just one of 4 or 5 Hail Mary's this season where defenders continue to try to catch the ball instead of batting it down.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And to the east, in Winston-Salem, another terrific ending in the Liberty at Wake Forest game.

Reaction Score
Kind of reminded me of Doug Flutie's Hail Mary to Gerard Phelan back in the day, except the receiver wasn't already in the end zone when he caught it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'll take that great play, but I'll leave those announcers. Lots of last minute heroics in the NFL this year as well.

Reaction Score
It’s called a prevent defense because it prevents the defense from winning. The clip and radio call were outstanding. Thanks for the post

That was not a prevent defense. On the final play, every team at every level plays exactly like that, except that you have to account for every player in case the ball is tipped.

Reaction Score
That was not a prevent defense. On the final play, every team at every level plays exactly like that, except that you have to account for every player in case the ball is tipped.
What’s the matter? Can’t take a joke? But I disagree. A prevent defense is used in a variety of situations, such as preventing conversion of a third and long or giving the offense the center of the field to keep the clock running. The Hail Mary at the end of a game when the offense is behind by more than three points is one situation where a prevent defense is employed. In general terms any defense with five or more defensive backs is a prevent defense. In the play under discussion there were seven defensive backs, one linebacker and three defensive linemen in what is referred to as the quarter defensive formation and it is one type of a prevent defense.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Yes. For 1 week
From my vantage the Jets did something yesterday that no other team had ever done. That is, score two touchdowns with less than two minutes to win the game when they had no timeouts remaining! With 22 second to spare! So many Browns fans left when it was 30-17 and were in the parking lot that the few Jet fans were surfing on their tears. Hanging ten baby.

Reaction Score
From my vantage the Jets did something yesterday that no other team had ever done. That is, score two touchdowns with less than two minutes to win the game when they had no timeouts remaining! With 22 second to spare! So many Browns fans left when it was 30-17 and were in the parking lot that the few Jet fans were surfing on their tears. Hanging ten baby.
Close, but I think New England beats them by a sliver. The infamous MNF meltdown of Buffalo versus the Pats in 2009 had the Pats scoring 2 TDs to beat the Bills in the final minutes of that game.

"McKelvin's fumble at Buffalo's 31 led to the Patriots scoring their second touchdown in a span of 76 seconds, and capped a rally in which they overcame an 11-point deficit in the final 2:06."

JordyG

Reaction Score
Close, but I think New England beats them by a sliver. The infamous MNF meltdown of Buffalo versus the Pats in 2009 had the Pats scoring 2 TDs to beat the Bills in the final minutes of that game.

"McKelvin's fumble at Buffalo's 31 led to the Patriots scoring their second touchdown in a span of 76 seconds, and capped a rally in which they overcame an 11-point deficit in the final 2:06."

And how many TO's did NE have? How much time remained on the clock giving the other team a chance to win the game? Which of the teams you mentioned did it with a 37 year old QB that most people didn't even know was still in the league? Finally, which of those teams had their primary receiver who, as a rookie, scored the winning TD? Even without the TO factor, what the Jets did hadn't been done in 21 years. IMO it ain't close.

Reaction Score
And how many TO's did NE have? How much time remained on the clock giving the other team a chance to win the game? Which of the teams you mentioned did it with a 37 year old QB that most people didn't even know was still in the league? Finally, which of those teams had their primary receiver who, as a rookie, scored the winning TD? Even without the TO factor, what the Jets did hadn't been done in 21 years. IMO it ain't close.
You're including details that weren't in the post I responded to, however I remember NE having quite a few turnovers in that game. You noted the timespan for the Jets to make their comeback. The MNF game example was for comparison. You don't think it's close, then we'll agree to disagree.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You're including details that weren't in the post I responded to, however I remember NE having quite a few turnovers in that game. You noted the timespan for the Jets to make their comeback. The MNF game example was for comparison. You don't think it's close, then we'll agree to disagree.
Not turnovers, but timeouts. The Jets stated their comeback with 1:55 left, 13 points down, and no timeouts remaining. They actually did it all in 93 seconds. That, as far as I know, is unprecedented.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I learned not to leave a close game early back in high school. I was at a playoff football game, and the team we were playing had eliminated us three years in a row. As time wound down, we turned the ball over on downs. As a lot of people headed to the exits, I stuck around til the bitter end. As the opponent attempted to run out the clock, the running back fumbled and we recovered. A few plays later, we scored the game winning TD.

Anyway, this is a funny tweet.

Reaction Score
Here is a women's relay race 4x400 in Europe (England?)-
watch the last lap, what a comeback!

This is the most incredible race! I won't give you a spoiler, but
I had to watch it TWICE to appreciate the determination of these
ladie! ENJOY Z

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics