This is not good. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This is not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Again, the OP is just being playful. Hence the reference to loss of ad revenue, mods losing out on their big monthly checks, and Nan having to unretire. None of that is meant to be serious. The post refers to Debbie Downers (as in "this is the worse UConn team ever" or "a mediocre high school team could beat Tulsa"), not to thoughtful disagreements about strategy.
I may have moved to Florida but I didn’t retire. I’m actually working a lot more here than I did in Connecticut. That’s why there are no news links - I’m at work by 6:00 am

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Did someone give you a wedgie and hurt your feelings ? Grow up!
Oh I'm sure I got a wedgie at some time in life. But not recently. And as you should probably already know, I don't have feelings.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Oh boy. Now what are the Debbie Downers @Big Mick @eebmg @BostonBay @tower1 @Alydar @msf22b gonna whine and complain about???

Although I'm sure they'll find something to whine about, they probably won't be posting near as much. Which is gonna lower the traffic on the BY. Ads are gonna take a hit. No more big checks at the end of the month for the Mods. Heck they may have to un-retire and find a job.

This is not good. :(

Good to see you doing your part to make up for the lost traffic by starting this thread and stirring things up. Let’s all pat ourselves on the back for chiming in to shame the Evil Naysayers....Hooray!

Will you be handing out badges and deputizing your favorites next time? (Yours is prominently displayed but I’m betting there are some extras laying around somewhere.)

Reaction Score
I may have moved to Florida but I didn’t retire. I’m actually working a lot more here than I did in Connecticut. That’s why there are no news links - I’m at work by 6:00 am
Picking fruit is tough.

Reaction Score
Yikes! That is a waste of all that sunshine. Plus 6:00 a.m. is much too early a start time for anyone who does not milk cows or fetch eggs from chickens. But perhaps I am making another erroneous assumption, and you in fact are a farmer.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good to see you doing your part to make up for the lost traffic by starting this thread and stirring things up. Let’s all pat ourselves on the back for chiming in to shame the Evil Naysayers....Hooray!
Just doing my small part.

Will you be handing out badges and deputizing your favorites next time? (Yours is prominently displayed but I’m betting there are some extras laying around somewhere.)
badgesh-we-dont-need-no-stinking-badges-memecrunch-com-badges-51990180.png

Reaction Score
It means you take risks, even if the strategies or tactics fail and the failures have consequences. Which is the definition of a risk.
There's indisputable evidence that Geno's players leave UConn as the best players they could be at that point of their development. I saw Lisa Leslie say that when she played on international teams with UConn players, they always knew the game better than anyone else. But I want Aubrey to be a key performer right now and I think he can do that if he can open the floor up. I welcome the so call shredding which may imply that one person knows more than another person. I think it's more fun and fair if it is assumed that everyone has their own opinion.
Have you ever gone for a par 5 in two, when coming up short means a bogey or double-bogey? But at the end of the day, with everything on the line, you know what you can do in that situation. If you didn't try it, you'd never know. Plus it's more fun!

You mention about wanting to have discussions- so can we be blunt here? I think how you look at the game is all wrong. How else can I say this without sounding mean? I do no want to be mean. But to start with, smart coaches take risks that make sense. What if your ideas are wrong? Then you just accuse the "old coach" of unwilling to take risks, right?. That's your fall-back and it's wrong imo. I'll explain shortly about the press. But to further the point of some of us posting past UCONN records - it has to be done sometimes. Because some posters want to bury their heads in the sand regarding these facts like the poster bostonbay who recently said the last 4 years have been "less than stellar." And went on further to say to para "UCONN didn't have any big wins." Two years of 36-1 and within those numbers yet we didn't have any big wins????? Maybe you and/or the other posters sometimes need to be reminded of this? Otherwise how can anyone say that about 36-1 teams? So while you imply "please don't show those stats" - I on the other hand encourage posters to remind others of these stats.

Now in regards to the press- keep in mind it's not one thing-- it's a multitude of factors combined.
1-- when you press you have a risk of foul trouble. UCONN has three legit A/A's that they can't risk sitting on the bench during long stretches vs good teams. There is too big of a dropoff when they are replaced. In big games you need them to play 36-40 minutes. Too many chances for touch fouls and bad refs when you press. Some teams vs other teams it can work but there are big limitations. More on that.

2-- Good teams are going to scout the press. If they can't get the ball in the middle at times, then they have other places to look. For example, Dangerfield is too short. When you press she has to cover a wide range of area or she traps. When she traps it is easier to see the floor over her and throw over her. And when you need a pass - if she isn't trapping - then it's easy for a big to be an easy safety valve (throw it high enough she can't get to it.). In the press you need at least 4 players to create havoc (unless you are pressing to slow down the game). It doesn't sound like though you are talking of slowing down the game using a press.

3-- Anna and Kyla are slow for pressing too. I expect Anna year over year to improve with both quickness in some manner and awareness. Anna isn't bad but still she is slow. Add that to Danger being short - you don't have near the press you think you have.

4-- For those of you who don't think much of Kyla-- it means then you have just 6 players on the press. So the whole season UCONN is supposed to be practicing pressure for a team with a 6 player capable press vs the good teams? There isn't enough pressing type players to be a major pressing team. And if you use Molly Bent then as i mentioned above you have a huge dropoff if you're taking out one of your guards. Maybe you can go with all 3 guards of CD, CW and MB - but then you are going very small.

5--- For those of you that have followed men's basketball a long time - I'll ask you to try to remember the NCAA Tourney game in which UCONN beat Washington by a buzzer beater from Rip Hamilton in 1998. You can google and pull an article and it will explain how Washington got a lot of points in the 1st half in the paint. Further you can read how it was actually UCONN that got worn down when they thought they could wear the bigger team down. Calhoun even remarked afterwards that it appeared his team was worn down. Meaning even though you are faster and quicker doesn't mean you are going to wear down the bigger team. Further, by opening the floor, you are also allowing that team to expose you for easy baskets if they can use their size effectively against your press. Yet UCONN has flaws as I've mentioned above using pressure. With only 6 players you are more likely to wear down. You give too much of an opportunity for teams to get easy baskets also because of the flaws I've mentioned. IMO its better to force the big teams to take outside shots.

6-- Why do you think UCONN gets the number 1 ranked H/S recruits so often? Why do you think UCONN gets the number 1 ranked H/S recruits so often? Why do you think UCONN gets the number 1 ranked H/S recruits so often? I repeated the question several times to make a point. The offense from UCONN is beautiful. The coach preaches it hardline too. Now go and look back at the 2011-2012 game between UCONN and Baylor. At halftime Geno was interviewed and asked his thoughts of the game and to paraphrase he said the team that can execute offensively the best would win. When Kim came back from the tunnel and was asked her thoughts while she was told of Geno's comments - basically to paraphrase she didn't agree and thought the game would be won defensively. They have different philosophies. It seems yours is more in-line with Kim's regarding how you want to play Aubrey and you mentioned previously you want more pressing. Yet I think Geno's teams over the next 5 years will be better than Kim's and has been in the past 5. He values the flow of offense -- A LOT.

While both coaches are right to some extent-- imo more of the number 1 recruits sees Geno's super offensive flow. You on the other hand are highlighting "Aubrey Griffin." IMO you and posters like mick and bostonbay are sold out too much on defense and athletes, and have little appreciation for passing, shooting and picks. I think your philosophy is all wrong over the long haul of several years. A great offensive player has an advantage over the great defender. As a fundamental in basketball called the triple-threat on offense (face the basket and are a threat to pass, shoot or dribble) -- Aubrey can't shoot. Her passing off the dribble is suspect. Yet you are highlighting change our style, change the past way this team has been successful because YOU think a press can be better. Some years it can be. VS crummy teams -- sure. But if you can't do it well vs the good teams why should Aubrey get a lot of minutes rather than some minutes?

Next year definitely press. More elite players. More elite upperclassmen. More team quickness. More "quality" team size. Losing one star player to foul trouble not as big of a deal vs.this year.

Reaction Score
You mention about wanting to have discussions- so can we be blunt here? I think how you look at the game is all wrong. How else can I say this without sounding mean? I do no want to be mean. But to start with, smart coaches take risks that make sense. What if your ideas are wrong? Then you just accuse the "old coach" of unwilling to take risks, right?. That's your fall-back and it's wrong imo. I'll explain shortly about the press. But to further the point of some of us posting past UCONN records - it has to be done sometimes. Because some posters want to bury their heads in the sand regarding these facts like the poster bostonbay who recently said the last 4 years have been "less than stellar." And went on further to say to para "UCONN didn't have any big wins." Two years of 36-1 and within those numbers yet we didn't have any big wins????? Maybe you and/or the other posters sometimes need to be reminded of this? Otherwise how can anyone say that about 36-1 teams? So while you imply "please don't show those stats" - I on the other hand encourage posters to remind others of these stats.

Now in regards to the press- keep in mind it's not one thing-- it's a multitude of factors combined.
1-- when you press you have a risk of foul trouble. UCONN has three legit A/A's that they can't risk sitting on the bench during long stretches vs good teams. There is too big of a dropoff when they are replaced. In big games you need them to play 36-40 minutes. Too many chances for touch fouls and bad refs when you press. Some teams vs other teams it can work but there are big limitations. More on that.

2-- Good teams are going to scout the press. If they can't get the ball in the middle at times, then they have other places to look. For example, Dangerfield is too short. When you press she has to cover a wide range of area or she traps. When she traps it is easier to see the floor over her and throw over her. And when you need a pass - if she isn't trapping - then it's easy for a big to be an easy safety valve (throw it high enough she can't get to it.). In the press you need at least 4 players to create havoc (unless you are pressing to slow down the game). It doesn't sound like though you are talking of slowing down the game using a press.

3-- Anna and Kyla are slow for pressing too. I expect Anna year over year to improve with both quickness in some manner and awareness. Anna isn't bad but still she is slow. Add that to Danger being short - you don't have near the press you think you have.

4-- For those of you who don't think much of Kyla-- it means then you have just 6 players on the press. So the whole season UCONN is supposed to be practicing pressure for a team with a 6 player capable press vs the good teams? There isn't enough pressing type players to be a major pressing team. And if you use Molly Bent then as i mentioned above you have a huge dropoff if you're taking out one of your guards. Maybe you can go with all 3 guards of CD, CW and MB - but then you are going very small.

5--- For those of you that have followed men's basketball a long time - I'll ask you to try to remember the NCAA Tourney game in which UCONN beat Washington by a buzzer beater from Rip Hamilton in 1998. You can google and pull an article and it will explain how Washington got a lot of points in the 1st half in the paint. Further you can read how it was actually UCONN that got worn down when they thought they could wear the bigger team down. Calhoun even remarked afterwards that it appeared his team was worn down. Meaning even though you are faster and quicker doesn't mean you are going to wear down the bigger team. Further, by opening the floor, you are also allowing that team to expose you for easy baskets if they can use their size effectively against your press. Yet UCONN has flaws as I've mentioned above using pressure. With only 6 players you are more likely to wear down. You give too much of an opportunity for teams to get easy baskets also because of the flaws I've mentioned. IMO its better to force the big teams to take outside shots.

6-- Why do you think UCONN gets the number 1 ranked H/S recruits so often? Why do you think UCONN gets the number 1 ranked H/S recruits so often? Why do you think UCONN gets the number 1 ranked H/S recruits so often? I repeated the question several times to make a point. The offense from UCONN is beautiful. The coach preaches it hardline too. Now go and look back at the 2011-2012 game between UCONN and Baylor. At halftime Geno was interviewed and asked his thoughts of the game and to paraphrase he said the team that can execute offensively the best would win. When Kim came back from the tunnel and was asked her thoughts while she was told of Geno's comments - basically to paraphrase she didn't agree and thought the game would be won defensively. They have different philosophies. It seems yours is more in-line with Kim's regarding how you want to play Aubrey and you mentioned previously you want more pressing. Yet I think Geno's teams over the next 5 years will be better than Kim's and has been in the past 5. He values the flow of offense -- A LOT.

While both coaches are right to some extent-- imo more of the number 1 recruits sees Geno's super offensive flow. You on the other hand are highlighting "Aubrey Griffin." IMO you and posters like mick and bostonbay are sold out too much on defense and athletes, and have little appreciation for passing, shooting and picks. I think your philosophy is all wrong over the long haul of several years. A great offensive player has an advantage over the great defender. As a fundamental in basketball called the triple-threat on offense (face the basket and are a threat to pass, shoot or dribble) -- Aubrey can't shoot. Her passing off the dribble is suspect. Yet you are highlighting change our style, change the past way this team has been successful because YOU think a press can be better. Some years it can be. VS crummy teams -- sure. But if you can't do it well vs the good teams why should Aubrey get a lot of minutes rather than some minutes?

Next year definitely press. More elite players. More elite upperclassmen. More team quickness. More "quality" team size. Losing one star player to foul trouble not as big of a deal vs.this year.
I appreciate your post a lot.
Pressing is more akin to Baskin and Robbins 31 flavors, rather than chocolate and vanilla like you are intimating. I'm not going to go into the annals and mention the great college basketball teams historically that pressed. And with a variety of types of players. Crystal would be wonderful in a press. She can get into passing lanes, pressure ball handlers, and trap, even at her diminutive size. Anna is tall, rangy, and she has the basketball sense to anticipate. Yes I do think enough of Aubrey that a change could help her and the team. Do you think she's going to be a star? I do and I want to see her unleashed.
The court is 92 feet and I would like to see us utilize the whole court to our advantage. Remember UConn players traditionally are smart and savvy.
Back to the many flavors: Pressing does not by definition give up layups. The tactic can be used just to speed up the other team. Baylor- yes, they need to be sped up.
BTW Don't tell me you're right and I'm wrong. That's the stuff I'm talking about. You have an opinion and I have an opinion. I do not need a lecture about the historical success of UConn. I've been an avid fan since D. I think UConn women's basketball is one of the wonders of the world. I'd also like to see them press some. Out

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Pressing is more akin to Baskin and Robbins 31 flavors, rather than chocolate and vanilla like you are intimating. I'm not going to go into the annals and mention the great college basketball teams historically that pressed. And with a variety of types of players. Crystal would be wonderful in a press. She can get into passing lanes, pressure ball handlers, and trap, even at her diminutive size. Anna is tall, rangy, and she has the basketball sense to anticipate. Yes I do think enough of Aubrey that a change could help her and the team. Do you think she's going to be a star? I do and I want to see her unleashed.
The court is 92 feet and I would like to see us utilize the whole court to our advantage. Remember UConn players traditionally are smart and savvy.
Back to the many flavors: Pressing does not by definition give up layups. The tactic can be used just to speed up the other team. Baylor- yes, they need to be sped up.
BTW Don't tell me you're right and I'm wrong. That's the stuff I'm talking about. You have an opinion and I have an opinion. I do not need a lecture about the historical success of UConn. I've been an avid fan since D. I think UConn women's basketball is one of the wonders of the world. I'd also like to see them press some. Out

I do not see us being a truly effective pressing team against really good teams. Yes, we can pressure AAC teams but except for Aubrey and Liv patrolling the backend, I do not think we have any elite ball hawks like a Moriah or Kia to pressure the ball full court.

Our best defense is position / helping defense with better understanding and communication. This is where our players can excel.

... and get Aubrey into the game when we need defensive energy ala Gabby

Reaction Score
Relax. The OP is just being playful. And by the way, he did not say "Geno has 1000+ wins" etc. Also, there are many posters who are neither diehard UConn fans nor trolls, and they enrich the conversation.

Re your on court preferences, I am mystified by the suggestion that we should "utilize our length." What length? Also I don't know how we can press much more than we do without a longer and more athletic bench.
What length? Probably talking about Crystal. She's (suposedly) 5'5" but she's a long five-five.

Reaction Score
I do not see us being a truly effective pressing team against really good teams. Yes, we can pressure AAC teams but except for Aubrey and Liv patrolling the backend, I do not think we have any elite ball hawks like a Moriah or Kia to pressure the ball full court.

Our best defense is position / helping defense with better understanding and communication. This is where our players can excel.

... and get Aubrey into the game when we need defensive energy ala Gabby
Nice Job!
Sorry- Boxing analogy- can we stand toe-to-toe in the center of the ring and slug it out against the top teams, especially Baylor? Or should we use the whole ring to our advantage, in order to disrupt tempo, and dictate how the bout is going to be fought.
Some teams, such as a bunch of UConn teams (11?) can play any way they want to. They're just flat out better than everyone else.

Reaction Score
What length? Probably talking about Crystal. She's (suposedly) 5'5" but she's a long five-five.
Nice comeback Potsy!
No pressing BY. We've got a short point guard. Last I looked, she's one of the best point guards in America, possible 1st team AA, and she's one of the quickest guards in America and certainly one of the smartest, an absolute court general. What are you guys thinking? Rick Pitino actually tried to press when he coached the Celtics- 82 games. It was impossible, but incredibly entertaining, and sometimes super effective. One of the best coaches all-time.

Reaction Score
Nice comeback Potsy!
No pressing BY. We've got a short point guard. Last I looked, she's one of the best point guards in America, possible 1st team AA, and she's one of the quickest guards in America and certainly one of the smartest, an absolute court general. What are you guys thinking? Rick Pitino actually tried to press when he coached the Celtics- 82 games. It was impossible, but incredibly entertaining, and sometimes super effective. One of the best coaches all-time.
1st note to self: Don't expect others to get my jokes.

2nd note to self: Find out what "Potsy" means. Could be a compliment.

Reaction Score
Nice comeback Potsy!
Rick Pitino coached the Celtics a total of 248 games during three and a half seasons. The Celtics record was 102 and 146 during his tenure and, in no season under him, did the Celtics win more games than they lost.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Just doing my small part.

badgesh-we-dont-need-no-stinking-badges-memecrunch-com-badges-51990180.png
Not to be a stickler, but the line comes from The Secret of the Sierra Madre, not Blazing Saddles. Although Blazing Saddles may be one of the top 3 movies ever made. They just couldn't make that one today.

Reaction Score
Rick Pitino coached the Celtics a total of 248 games during three and a half seasons. The Celtics record was 102 and 146 during his tenure and, in no season under him, did the Celtics win more games than they lost.
100% maybe a bad example but I was just exaggerating the idea that pressing is not such a radical idea.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not to be a stickler, but the line comes from The Secret of the Sierra Madre, not Blazing Saddles. Although Blazing Saddles may be one of the top 3 movies ever made. They just couldn't make that one today.
Yea I know. It's just funnier when Brooks does it.

1579539994646.jpeg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
100% maybe a bad example but I was just exaggerating the idea that pressing is not such a radical idea.
It's not radical. Just probably not a good idea for this team. Other than using it here and there. But not as the main system of play. Not only do we probably not have the "right" bodies, we definitely don't have enough bodies.

Reaction Score
Actually from The Treasure of Sierra Madre but your point is well taken both on the original quote and Blazing Saddles.

Reaction Score

I'm replying to two parts of your post. This is the 1st post. A non-basketball reply. This a reply directed more toward your non-basketball posts which I disagree with just as much as your view of the game. OFC you have the right to express - but so do I.

First off I’m confused. You said you appreciated my post but then went on to rip me about right or wrong? Well 1st off let me say I disagree with nearly everything you’ve said. I’m not angry when I say it. That’s okay we disagree, right? But I mean --- everything—though- other than very minor points. Even the non-basketball above in bold which a lot of this 1st post pertains to.

Now when it comes to posting I like to post using examples, stats and data among other things. And if we don’t agree on an opinion – then you are “telling me” in-a-manner-of-speak that my opinion is wrong even if you don’t say it. Someone is right here and someone is wrong. I think/ my opinion is that your pov on basketball is wrong. I gave prior examples and points why I think the press won’t work. You bring up Danger and Anna how they can do well in the press. So you disagree which is fine. But one of us is right. So ofc I’m going to mention that I’m right. IMO I am. I told you I was going to be blunt and I don't feel I was being mean or demeaning.

Further if you or bostonbay or anyone else makes posts such as implying that UCONN has been “less than stellar” over the past 4 years—you are going to get a reminder that UCONN was 36-1. I and others aren’t going to stop posting this "reminder" which you call a “lecture.” Because we don’t understand how anyone could logically believe such an amazing season as 36-1 is- could somehow be “less than stellar” without “winning any big games.”

So the reply isn’t just between one poster and another. For example a young kid could be reading ro someone being new as a fan or someone not a UCONN fan that doesn't know some of the history. IMO they need to see or can see the separation between some of us fans. For example, if you think 36-1 is “less than stellar,” or if you think “the team isn’t trying hard,” or if you think “Geno needs to change his current recruiting” or “change his coaching style by not screaming,” then others who read this and don’t follow UCONN as much or younger kids who might be reading this – they should be able to read at alternate pov using data presented that you might know but they might not and be allowed to make up their own minds. And I’ll say again that some posters on here need to be reminded too.

For me I'm not going to stop bringing up past data because I feel it is relevant. and if others feel it is relevant I hope they will bring up too. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean I (or they) have to change. I won't unless the mods say "Stop."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom