This is not a game to be missed, underestimated or discounted in any way. | The Boneyard

This is not a game to be missed, underestimated or discounted in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
This is essentially last year's national championship with a major substitution...Kelsey Bone for Danielle Adams. A big 6'6" girl who is in some ways more mobile but with not as good a touch around the basket. Essentially the same team. This is the game we were supposed to play in the finals had we not lost to Notre Dame. Had not Dolson got in foul trouble. Sure the landscape has changed...Baylor is better...we lost Maya...they lost Danielle...but make no mistake this game is a marker game, it is an essential game that will tell us exactly where we are at this time in the season. And, most assuredly this is going to be an entertaining game. I think it is going to be a nail-biter. So if you miss this one you are missing a dandy of a game. JMHO

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Don't forget, this game will be played on UConn's home court, and not on a neutral site. When we play Baylor in Texas, you may see a different result from last year. Home court makes a big difference.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
So the loss of Colson is trivial? Sounds like someone either did not see the Purdue game or did not consider the difference in point guard play in that game vs. Last year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This is essentially last year's national championship with a major substitution...Kelsey Bone for Danielle Adams. A big 6'6" girl who is in some ways more mobile but with not as good a touch around the basket. Essentially the same team. This is the game we were supposed to play in the finals had we not lost to Notre Dame. Had not Dolson got in foul trouble. Sure the landscape has changed...Baylor is better...we lost Maya...thy lost Danielle...but make no mistake this game is a marker game, it is an essential game that will tell us exactly where we are at this time in the season. And, most assuredly this is going to be an entertaining game. I think it is going to be a nail-biter. So if you miss this one you are missing a dandy of a game. JMHO
I'm not sure anyone is discounting or underestimating this game at all. I think with THIS years A&M team and THIS years UConn team, you can come to some conclusions based on performance to date. I won't repeat what I think as I already have a post on that.

I will say that so think that a player that had a year off as Bone did and expect them to replace Adams is incorrect. Same with Lewis replacing Moore, it's not going to happen.

Losing your point guard that had 200+ assists is difficult to overcome. Pratcher is a nice player, but doesn't have the impact that Colson had last year.

I'm hoping for an entertaining game but I just can't see it being a nail-biter.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
ooops...forgot all about Colson...and you are right I did miss the A & M vs Purdue game as I was out of the country in Chile and just returned Monday night. Well...losing a point guard can certainly have a monumental influence on how a team plays. The same can be said for losing the game directly before playing us. Either the players use it to motivate themselves to play better and respond positively which doesn't help UConn or, they go into a downward spiral type of funk and need a few games to rebound out of it...for Blair's sake I hope this isn't the case. I still expect an entertaining game but now I will have to rethink the nail-biter comment as I think that will depend on how well the new point guard responds to the pressure that UConn is sure to bring in it's full court press. It is apparent that UConn has been working hard on its full court press and it has been giving teams fits, albeit teams of lesser ability and talent than Texas A & M.

Finally, I fully agree with the comments made regarding home court advantage...Playing Stamford and Texas A & M at home is a big plus and playing Baylor away will be a mountain of a challenge.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
ooops...forgot all about Colson...and you are right I did miss the A & M vs Purdue game as I was out of the country in Chile and just returned Monday night. Well...losing a point guard can certainly have a monumental influence on how a team plays. The same can be said for losing the game directly before playing us. Either the players use it to motivate themselves to play better and respond positively which doesn't help UConn or, they go into a downward spiral type of funk and need a few games to rebound out of it...for Blair's sake I hope this isn't the case. I still expect an entertaining game but now I will have to rethink the nail-biter comment as I think that will depend on how well the new point guard responds to the pressure that UConn is sure to bring in it's full court press. It is apparent that UConn has been working hard on its full court press and it has been giving teams fits, albeit teams of lesser ability and talent than Texas A & M.

Finally, I fully agree with the comments made regarding home court advantage...Playing Stamford and Texas A & M at home is a big plus and playing Baylor away will be a mountain of a challenge.
Hope you had a good time in Chile!

Yeah, Colson graduating is huge. Based on what I saw against Purdue when they pressed, A&M will struggle. TO's could get ugly. They have to be a little tired and out of sorts with the travel and tough loss only 2 days ago.

Now, of course, they will shock us all and make a game of it...lol.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Colson was missed against Purdue, but she's really been missed yesterday, I bet. She was a strong emotional presence on A&M's team and could be critical in keeping everyone's spirits up after an unexpected loss.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Losing your point guard is huge for any team however losing your go to player too..well thats really tuff to overcome. UConn last season dependent on Maya. This season UConn has alot more scoring balance, depth, height and their nucleaus of players back. Uconn is going to be very tuff to beat this season. Griner could be the difference in Waco but imo if UConn plays their game they win that game too. ND lacks height again this season, so Im picking UConn in this one too. Tonight will tell us alot as will the Baylor game next week. If UCOnn beats TAM tonight, and loses to Baylor UConn has already beat Stanford and TAM and there is no other team that could take over number 2 in the polls. Just something to think about.

Reaction Score
Losing your point guard that had 200+ assists is difficult to overcome. Pratcher is a nice player, but doesn't have the impact that Colson had last year.

I'm hoping for an entertaining game but I just can't see it being a nail-biter.

+1

Reaction Score
So the loss of Colson is trivial? Sounds like someone either did not see the Purdue game or did not consider the difference in point guard play in that game vs. Last year.
Exactly my thoughts too!

Reaction Score
This season UConn has alot more scoring balance, depth, height and their nucleaus of players back. Uconn is going to be very tuff to beat this season. Griner could be the difference in Waco but imo if UConn plays their game they win that game too. ND lacks height again this season, so Im picking UConn in this one too. Tonight will tell us alot as will the Baylor game next week. If UCOnn beats TAM tonight, and loses to Baylor UConn has already beat Stanford and TAM and there is no other team that could take over number 2 in the polls. Just something to think about.
Love your optimism, Tony! I hope you're right.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If UCOnn beats TAM tonight, and loses to Baylor UConn has already beat Stanford and TAM and there is no other team that could take over number 2 in the polls. Just something to think about.
While i would generally agree with this, if UCONN loses to Baylor, most likely they wouuld drop below ND, unless it's a real nail biter and super close. there are so many top 10 teams playing each other, the pollsters may need to take the resume into account when ranking them, not just the most recent win or loss. i think that's one reason tennessee did not drop further - how do you drop them below Miami who they whalloped, even tho they lost to unranked UVA and then to Baylor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom