This is looking like a vendetta by the NCAA. | The Boneyard

This is looking like a vendetta by the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Remember Boatright being suspended for six games for no infraction? This was done just as he was about to play a game near his Chicago home (ND). The NCAA found nothing was improper. But UConn suffered the consequences immediately.

Remember Purvis being suspended for playing in a summer league game. Very petty and often non-enforced rule.

Nate Miles, the NCAA found that the recruitment of one player was enough to charge JC and the program "failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance and failed to monitor the program regarding phone calls, text messages and inducements provided by the booster." In short, someone outside the university committed the infractions.

And there's the double penalty for making kids go to class where they performed poorly. The low APR cost them 2 scholarships, then the same low APR score cost the Huskies a post-season ban a couple of years later. That's double jeopardy, prosecuting twice for the same offense. The crime was making the players actually go to real classes and giving them their real grades.

Given the bizarre inconsistencies of NCAA enforcement, this is a bunch of small fry stuff that results in maximum penalties. Hell, the Boatright thing was an outright travesty. For contrast, did I mention that Duke had a player paid by an agent for the entire time he was at the university, the NCAA found out, and let Duke off with no penalty because they said Duke didn't know their player was being paid. His name was Corey McGettie.

Can't wait to see the huge crimes we have committed this time.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Never could have imagined this full circle. Ollie becomes our coach during a mess & then leaves it the same way. Unreal.

Reaction Score
That is what I was saying in another thread, but you have complied it all here and in much more detail.

I think this "vendetta" is headed by emmert. He does not care who he impacts either, including the kids, which leads me to believe some very negative things about the person. Uconn fans should be out in full force calling out the ncaa and emmert. Even if the hammer comes down, do not go down without a fight, call out the ncaa for their lack of coherence.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Never could have imagined this full circle. Ollie becomes our coach during a mess & then leaves it the same way. Unreal.
Somehow it's not quite as bad if you play this soundtrack in your head.

Someone needs to photoshop Hurley's head onto the lion cub at the end though...
circle-of-life.jpg

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Truth. If there is an allegation then state what it is. These are not hard things to prove or disprove once you identify them.

It's as if they want to drag it out.

Rip 'n band aid off. If we were bidding on one of the Adidas kids, then say so. If this is about fake classes at St John, then say so. It this is a minor violation then say so. At this point, 8t is to our advantage to expose the hypocrisy that is the NCAA at every opportunity.

Reaction Score
Let's wait and see what it is first. "100 hours of taped interviews," if true, means one of two things. They needed 100 hours because they can't find any concrete evidence of anything or that there's a lot going on.

Reaction Score
Let's wait and see what it is first. "100 hours of taped interviews," if true, means one of two things. They needed 100 hours because they can't find any concrete evidence of anything or that there's a lot going on.
100 hours of taped interviews doesn't look good, but you'd figure by now, there would be more information out there about the allegations than just "three recruits who may or may not have ended up at UConn." Especially considering the fact that this wasn't self-reported and came from somebody outside of the UConn AD.

Also, I was listening to the CBS college basketball podcast with Parrish and Norlander. Norlander said that usually you hear rumblings about an NCAA investigation prior to it becoming public. He said that the NCAA investigation into UConn took him by complete surprise, so maybe that's a good thing?

Reaction Score
100 hours of taped interviews doesn't look good, but you'd figure by now, there would be more information out there about the allegations than just "three recruits who may or may not have ended up at UConn." Especially considering the fact that this wasn't self-reported and came from somebody outside of the UConn AD.

Also, I was listening to the CBS college basketball podcast with Parrish and Norlander. Norlander said that usually you hear rumblings about an NCAA investigation prior to it becoming public. He said that the NCAA investigation into UConn took him by complete surprise, so maybe that's a good thing?
Yeah honestly I don't know what to make of it. Regardless of what it is, I hope it's made public soon. The wait and see will likely be more harmful than whatever the outcome of the investigation is.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Remember Boatright being suspended for six games for no infraction? This was done just as he was about to play a game near his Chicago home (ND). The NCAA found nothing was improper. But UConn suffered the consequences immediately.

Remember Purvis being suspended for playing in a summer league game. Very petty and often non-enforced rule.

Nate Miles, the NCAA found that the recruitment of one player was enough to charge JC and the program "failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance and failed to monitor the program regarding phone calls, text messages and inducements provided by the booster." In short, someone outside the university committed the infractions.

And there's the double penalty for making kids go to class where they performed poorly. The low APR cost them 2 scholarships, then the same low APR score cost the Huskies a post-season ban a couple of years later. That's double jeopardy, prosecuting twice for the same offense. The crime was making the players actually go to real classes and giving them their real grades.

Given the bizarre inconsistencies of NCAA enforcement, this is a bunch of small fry stuff that results in maximum penalties. Hell, the Boatright thing was an outright travesty. For contrast, did I mention that Duke had a player paid by an agent for the entire time he was at the university, the NCAA found out, and let Duke off with no penalty because they said Duke didn't know their player was being paid. His name was Corey McGettie.

Can't wait to see the huge crimes we have committed this time.
Just to throw out there - Geno was hit with a secondary violation for calling the girl that threw the no-hitter in the (boys) World Series game to congratulate her. Apparently, the kid plays basketball as well as baseball so Geno got his hand slapped for a recruiting violation.

Reaction Score

Who did they interview?
ESPN reported during Temple game that no one from uconn coaching staff was interviewed. Unless I heard wrong.

Reaction Score
Who did they interview?
ESPN reported during Temple game that no one from uconn coaching staff was interviewed. Unless I heard wrong.
The Courant initially reported the following (I copied and pasted this back on Friday):
UConn Confirms Investigation Of Men's Basketball Team Following Allegations
Sources told The Courant the NCAA has already conducted roughly 100 hours of interviews with coaches, players and staffers, past and present, and other outside individuals. Those interviews have picked up in pace over the last week or so, and the inquiry includes the recruitment of at least three players, though not necessarily players who eventually came to UConn. The NCAA, which has not responded to a request for comment, compels interviewees not to comment.
But now they are saying the following:
Details of the NCAA inquiry emerged Saturday. It is focused on recruiting, and includes interaction with several players, not necessarily players who came to UConn. The NCAA has been conducting interviews for several months, though it is not clear whether current coaches or staffers have been interviewed yet.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The NCAA madated every school do an internal audit after the Louisville scandal. 100 hours of audio is not a lot if you interview everyone connected to the major programs.

If UConn can't tell us, then it's probably nothing. If they won't, well...

Reaction Score
The Courant initially reported the following (I copied and pasted this back on Friday):

But now they are saying the following:
Details of the NCAA inquiry emerged Saturday. It is focused on recruiting, and includes interaction with several players, not necessarily players who came to UConn. The NCAA has been conducting interviews for several months, though it is not clear whether current coaches or staffers have been interviewed yet.

I so can't wait to be punished for not paying Diallo/Waters/Heron enough money to get them to come to UConn while they and the schools they went to are not punished for anything.

Is it likely its guys like Rodney/Sterling Gibbs/Shonn Miller/Larrier regarding transfers? I would definitely think its more likely we contacted guys 'too early' to let them know we were interested than us paying guys, giving them free stuff, hookers, etc. Regardless I still can't believe we'd be doing anything as bad or worse than other teams out there, so when we burn for minor crap while we know kids are being paid out there and not being punished, I really wont know how to react. What can you do other than speak out about it?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yeah honestly I don't know what to make of it. Regardless of what it is, I hope it's made public soon. The wait and see will likely be more harmful than whatever the outcome of the investigation is.

That's right, and with Emmert in charge, I have no doubt it will get dragged out for as long as possible, creating as much long term damage as he possibly can. I sincerely hope the women's team wins title No. 12 this season. Nothing would please me more than watching that arrogant jerkwad have to stand on the stage at the Final Four and be forced to hand over another championship trophy to UCONN.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The lawyer in me thinks 100 hours of taped interviews sounds like a fishing expedition. Like the NCAA has nothing and is digging and digging to find something and failing. You don't need all of that if you have some solid evidence of an infraction. At some point the NCAA needs to self police or the courts need to recognize it as quasi-government and require it to apply due process.

Reaction Score
The lawyer in me thinks 100 hours of taped interviews sounds like a fishing expedition. Like the NCAA has nothing and is digging and digging to find something and failing. You don't need all of that if you have some solid evidence of an infraction. At some point the NCAA needs to self police or the courts need to recognize it as quasi-government and require it to apply due process.
I was gonna say for all we know they just talked to 200 people total surrounding the three or so recruits averaging a half hour or so with each person. Family, high school coaches and team mates, current coaches and staff and team mates, AD staff...

That part means nothing to me right now

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was gonna say for all we know they just talked to 200 people total surrounding the three or so recruits averaging a half hour or so with each person. Family, high school coaches and team mates, current coaches and staff and team mates, AD staff...

That part means nothing to me right now

It means nothing other than that they have it out for us and are willing to commit that amount of time to digging for something.

Reaction Score
That's right, and with Emmert in charge, I have no doubt it will get dragged out for as long as possible, creating as much long term damage as he possibly can. I sincerely hope the women's team wins title No. 12 this season. Nothing would please me more than watching that arrogant jerkwad have to stand on the stage at the Final Four and be forced to hand over another championship trophy to UCONN.
#FireEmmert #Emmert=jerkwad!

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
What I'm hoping for is that it is about kids who visited UConn after they were offered $, girls, cars whatever from lets say Louisville and wanted to see is the staff was told that by the recruit,seeking the same from UConn.

Reaction Score
What I'm hoping for is that it is about kids who visited UConn after they were offered $, girls, cars whatever from lets say Louisville and wanted to see is the staff was told that by the recruit,seeking the same from UConn.
That's what I was thinking. And we're going to be in trouble for NOT reporting wrongdoing by other schools. Have a VERY hard time thinking KO cheated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom