This is looking like a vendetta by the NCAA. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This is looking like a vendetta by the NCAA.

C

Chief00

Remember Boatright being suspended for six games for no infraction? This was done just as he was about to play a game near his Chicago home (ND). The NCAA found nothing was improper. But UConn suffered the consequences immediately.

Remember Purvis being suspended for playing in a summer league game. Very petty and often non-enforced rule.

Nate Miles, the NCAA found that the recruitment of one player was enough to charge JC and the program "failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance and failed to monitor the program regarding phone calls, text messages and inducements provided by the booster." In short, someone outside the university committed the infractions.

And there's the double penalty for making kids go to class where they performed poorly. The low APR cost them 2 scholarships, then the same low APR score cost the Huskies a post-season ban a couple of years later. That's double jeopardy, prosecuting twice for the same offense. The crime was making the players actually go to real classes and giving them their real grades.

Given the bizarre inconsistencies of NCAA enforcement, this is a bunch of small fry stuff that results in maximum penalties. Hell, the Boatright thing was an outright travesty. For contrast, did I mention that Duke had a player paid by an agent for the entire time he was at the university, the NCAA found out, and let Duke off with no penalty because they said Duke didn't know their player was being paid. His name was Corey McGettie.

Can't wait to see the huge crimes we have committed this time.

Great post.

C

Chief00

Pre Blaze there was not a lot of strategy or guiding principles with recruiting.

C

Chief00

I laugh every time you bring this nonsense up.

So far, 4 successes after a year of prior failure. As far as I know - it’s been clean - other than possible communication with Sid - I don’t know that but that situation was so messed up and given his mom’s death - it’s possible he or his father may have reached out to someone - I don’t know.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So far, 4 successes after a year of prior failure. As far as I know - it’s been clean - other than possible communication with Sid - I don’t know that but that situation was so messed up and given his mom’s death - it’s possible he or his father may have reached out to someone - I don’t know.

Let's see how they do on the court (or even if they make it to campus) before we use the term "success."

Reaction Score

I'm not sure who you're referring to as the successes given that they're all in high school. But I love this idea you have that you were part of the hatching of the "Blaze Principles" for recruiting, which include such nuggets as "guys who can shoot are useful." Like you and Chill sketched this out on a napkin. I love it, gets me every time. So classic Chief. With the exception of our current president, I don't think I've ever come across an adult so desperate to be seen as an expert.

Reaction Score
That's right, and with Emmert in charge, I have no doubt it will get dragged out for as long as possible, creating as much long term damage as he possibly can. I sincerely hope the women's team wins title No. 12 this season. Nothing would please me more than watching that arrogant jerkwad have to stand on the stage at the Final Four and be forced to hand over another championship trophy to UCONN.
I don't remember Jeff Jacobs ever writing about the past connection between Emmert and UConn. If he did, never mind. If he didn't, why not?

Reaction Score
Remember Boatright being suspended for six games for no infraction? This was done just as he was about to play a game near his Chicago home (ND). The NCAA found nothing was improper. But UConn suffered the consequences immediately.

Remember Purvis being suspended for playing in a summer league game. Very petty and often non-enforced rule.

Nate Miles, the NCAA found that the recruitment of one player was enough to charge JC and the program "failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance and failed to monitor the program regarding phone calls, text messages and inducements provided by the booster." In short, someone outside the university committed the infractions.

And there's the double penalty for making kids go to class where they performed poorly. The low APR cost them 2 scholarships, then the same low APR score cost the Huskies a post-season ban a couple of years later. That's double jeopardy, prosecuting twice for the same offense. The crime was making the players actually go to real classes and giving them their real grades.

Given the bizarre inconsistencies of NCAA enforcement, this is a bunch of small fry stuff that results in maximum penalties. Hell, the Boatright thing was an outright travesty. For contrast, did I mention that Duke had a player paid by an agent for the entire time he was at the university, the NCAA found out, and let Duke off with no penalty because they said Duke didn't know their player was being paid. His name was Corey McGettie.

Can't wait to see the huge crimes we have committed this time.
It wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a vendetta (nothing with the NCAA would), but it’s hard to reach this conclusion based on pretty much zero information.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure who you're referring to as the successes given that they're all in high school. But I love this idea you have that you were part of the hatching of the "Blaze Principles" for recruiting, which include such nuggets as "guys who can shoot are useful." Like you and Chill sketched this out on a napkin. I love it, gets me every time. So classic Chief. With the exception of our current president, I don't think I've ever come across an adult so desperate to be seen as an expert.
Is Mike Francesa part of this knowledgeable group? ;)

C

Chief00

Yes, shooters would be useful. Go to practice or get to a game early. We are a collection of really terrible shooters. To your point, it’s not rocket science, however it’s been completely overlooked prioritizing recruits the last 3 years. So it was worth noting.

Reaction Score
I'm realizing it might be possible that when kids came to visit, whoever was hosting them could have been the one to commit these potential 'violations'. Like say Ollie had no planning of it or discussion with Jalen or whoever hosted the recruits, but their host took them to some substance-ridden parties? Like a lot of you others I cant see Ollie sanctioning something that would result in serious violations, but I don't doubt we're facing something real here

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm realizing it might be possible that when kids came to visit, whoever was hosting them could have been the one to commit these potential 'violations'. Like say Ollie had no planning of it or discussion with Jalen or whoever hosted the recruits, but their host took them to some substance-ridden parties? Like a lot of you others I cant see Ollie sanctioning something that would result in serious violations, but I don't doubt we're facing something real here

B _ _ N K _ Y

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom