OT: - This is history!! Men’s overall #1 seed loses | The Boneyard

OT: This is history!! Men’s overall #1 seed loses

Reaction Score
Virginia on the verge of being the first no 1 seed to lose to a 16!!!!

Go UMBC!!! Anything can happen!!!!!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I know someone in a pool auction that bought UVW For $9250.00...the pool had a total of $95,000.00 and the winner of the pool gets 40 percent. Crazy people buying teams for 7 to 8 thousand dollars.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UVa was missing a player; though they had a great record, they had several close games; and UMBC didn't play like a 16 seed at all. The seedings may have been off, but they have been off before. The strange thing isn't so much that UMBC won--though that was unprecedented--but how they won and by how much they won. They dominated the #1 team in the country. Yikes! Lyles looked like Kyrie Irving.

I feel for the UVa people, but their coach handled it with class. This year's version of Mississippi State v. UConn?

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
No not really. State was a #2 seed. Plus we were really good as well.
The fact that we broke the streak was historic but it was less an upset in the sense that we were evenly matched.

On the women’s side, I wonder how long it will take for a 16 to beat a 1?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Pretty nuts indeed. UVA was outstanding all season. 31-2 and dominated a really strong ACC. Felt kind of like 2013 Baylor/Louisville for the first 30 minutes of that game where the underdog couldn't do anything wrong.

Stanford losing to Harvard is the only noteworthy loss by 14-16 seed in the women's game. And that upset honestly wasn't too shocking in hindsight. For any women's basketball history buffs, Stanford was without their two best players (the great Kristin Folkl and Vanessa Nygaard) and Harvard was sorely under seeded and had a future WNBA standout in Allison Feaster on their team. Stanford probably shouldn't have been a 1 seed (they were 21-5 entering the tournament and were 2-4 when they played without Folkl) and Harvard shouldn't have been a 16 seed.

Aside from that upset, have there been any close calls for 1, 2, or 3 seeds in the first round? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Didn't watch the game, but based on the score this was an easy win for UMBC. Adding to the shock of the game, UMBC doesn't get into the tournament if they don't hit a Buzzer Beater three point shot to beat Vermont. Plus they lost 10 games in the regular season, so its not like they were a great Mid Major that got no respect.

Can't be any perfect brackets any more with the upsets that have happened in 1st round games. I would think Virginia and Arizona losses alone would render 99.99% of the brackets not perfect.

Virginia the school with Ralph Sampson that lost to Chaminade has another memorable blemish recorded in the Men's Basketball History.

Reaction Score
Me thinks this bodes well for us. In fact, Geno won't have to coach a lick from here on out. Just say'n. I now REALLY feel sorry for St. Francis today. :eek: :D

Reaction Score
Me thinks this bodes well for us. In fact, Geno won't have to coach a lick from here on out. Just say'n. I now REALLY feel sorry for St. Francis today. :eek: :D
Agreed. Geno's entire pregame speech should consist of showing them the headline, and reminding them that nothing is a given in this tournament. And, yeah, St. Francis is in for a long game...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No not really. State was a #2 seed. Plus we were really good as well.
The fact that we broke the streak was historic but it was less an upset in the sense that we were evenly matched.

On the women’s side, I wonder how long it will take for a 16 to beat a 1?
It’s already happened. The 16 seed Harvard beat 1 Stanford in 1998.

Jim

Reaction Score
Agreed. Geno's entire pregame speech should consist of showing them the headline, and reminding them that nothing is a given in this tournament. And, yeah, St. Francis is in for a long game...
Geno isn't one for giving rah-rah pregame speeches. He knows that you can't turn stuff on/off like a light switch. He will, however, talk about it at walk through. That way the players will have a few hours to build up a head of steam before tip-off. Steam rollers don't start on a dime, but once they get going... I predict an end of 1Q score of 32-5.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno isn't one for giving rah-rah pregame speeches. He knows that you can't turn stuff on/off like a light switch. He will, however, talk about it at walk through. That way the players will have a few hours to build up a head of steam before tip-off. Steam rollers don't start on a dime, but once they get going... I predict an end of 1Q score of 32-5.

Geno: "In case you had not heard, UMMC beat Virginia yesterday. Enough of that, let's run the first layup drill. Kia, try to get the ball off your palm."

Reaction Score
Being from the Baltimore area and having a son who is seriously considering UMBC for college (they have one of the top computer science programs in the country) I thoroughly enjoyed that game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom