This Is Funny, But Did Kim Mulkey Say It? | The Boneyard

This Is Funny, But Did Kim Mulkey Say It?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A quote allegedly from Kim. From a poster on UConn WCBB Facebook page. It's a zinger, but did she say it. I can't find it, though I haven't quit looking.

"What coaching? He has 5 legitimate All-American starters. Coaching requires moving around the pieces, to put forward your best performance. All Geno has to do is manage his player's minutes to keep them from embarrassing other teams. I swear, his current team would've been in the WNBA playoffs."

If you find it, shout out OK?

Reaction Score
Lord I hope she didn’t say this. Makes her look like a true . And talk about poking the bear!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Truth be told, UCONN "only" has 6 HS AA's on their roster - I'm going from memory but...

Gabby
Lou, Napheesa
Crystal
Megan, Mikayla

I don't believe Kia or Azura were AA's in high school, but I'm not sure. Point is there are at least 4-5 teams with more HS AA's on their roster. Didn't someone compile a list at one point?

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
If she really said it, it was said with tongue clearly in cheek. What was said was also witty as hell.

I like Mulkey, and I think her sense of fashion is a hoot.

Reaction Score
If she really said it, it was said with tongue clearly in cheek. What was said was also witty as hell.

A quote allegedly from Kim. From a poster on UConn WCBB Facebook page. It's a zinger, but did she say it. I can't find it, though I haven't quit looking.

"What coaching? He has 5 legitimate All-American starters. Coaching requires moving around the pieces, to put forward your best performance. All Geno has to do is manage his player's minutes to keep them from embarrassing other teams. I swear, his current team would've been in the WNBA playoffs."

If you find it, shout out OK?
This sounds more like the Brendasaurus.

Reaction Score
There are several College Coaches who could have said something like this about Geno... they are the ones who don't get to the Final Four, who can't beat UConn in OOC games, who want the success that Geno (AND Staff) have achieved!

It's all part of the UConn gets all the best players arguments, and UConn is bad for the game, blah, blah, blah... I'm so tired of these. We know that there are Top 100 rated (or Top 50), etc players in the country...and UConn gets 1, 2, maybe 3 of them each year. Where are the other 97 going? UConn has had a great run of getting the #1 HS rated player...(Lou, Megan, CW).... But, that's not the entire team, and they still need to mix those talents with the rest of the team to become a winner.

Reaction Score
There are several College Coaches who could have said something like this about Geno... they are the ones who don't get to the Final Four, who can't beat UConn in OOC games, who want the success that Geno (AND Staff) have achieved!

It's all part of the UConn gets all the best players arguments, and UConn is bad for the game, blah, blah, blah... I'm so tired of these. We know that there are Top 100 rated (or Top 50), etc players in the country...and UConn gets 1, 2, maybe 3 of them each year. Where are the other 97 going? UConn has had a great run of getting the #1 HS rated player...(Lou, Megan, CW).... But, that's not the entire team, and they still need to mix those talents with the rest of the team to become a winner.
Still waiting for someone else to take a 5’11” guard and transform her to one of the top post players in the country. Geno makes his kids become better than even the kids themselves thought of being.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Still waiting for someone else to take a 5’11” guard and transform her to one of the top post players in the country. Geno makes his kids become better than even the kids themselves thought of being.
If Gabby had gone to ANY other school, no one would have thought that she was anything but a guard, and as a guard she would have been “pretty good” — more rebounds and more steals than the average guard, but no 3-point shot which would limit her minutes and probably hold her scoring average in single digits. I doubt that anyone would be talking about her as an All-American candidate, and she MIGHT have been a 2nd-round WNBA pick like Tiffany Hayes.

Geno not only had to have the vision to see that she could be a great forward, but also the ability to make her feel good about it despite initial reluctance, and (along with CD and Marisa) the energy to teach her everything that she needed to know to be an effective forward.

Other coaches might have worried that she would transfer if they tried to make her into a forward, and they might have been right to worry. But for most of them, the thought of Gabby in the front court would never have crossed their mind.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This sounds more like the Brendasaurus.
Indeed she has said similar such in the past, and I've taken her to task for it. It's hard to believe Kim would say anything like this considering the number of HS AA's she has currently and in the future on her roster. Honestly, I've never heard Kim say a disparaging word against UCONN, although she has said a few envious ones. But who hasn't?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There are zero references to this quote on Google. The poster is a troll looking to stir up trouble.

Reaction Score
;)
Truth be told, UCONN "only" has 6 HS AA's on their roster - I'm going from memory but...

Gabby
Lou, Napheesa
Crystal
Megan, Mikayla

I don't believe Kia or Azura were AA's in high school, but I'm not sure. Point is there are at least 4-5 teams with more HS AA's on their roster. Didn't someone compile a list at one point?
Can you be a HS All-American in Canada?;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

If Gabby had gone to ANY other school, no one would have thought that she was anything but a guard, and as a guard she would have been “pretty good” — more rebounds and more steals than the average guard, but no 3-point shot which would limit her minutes and probably hold her scoring average in single digits. I doubt that anyone would be talking about her as an All-American candidate, and she MIGHT have been a 2nd-round WNBA pick like Tiffany Hayes.

Geno not only had to have the vision to see that she could be a great forward, but also the ability to make her feel good about it despite initial reluctance, and (along with CD and Marisa) the energy to teach her everything that she needed to know to be an effective forward.

Other coaches might have worried that she would transfer if they tried to make her into a forward, and they might have been right to worry. But for most of them, the thought of Gabby in the front court would never have crossed their mind.

Anriel Howard isn't a post player, but a very undersized four whom I would put in the same vein as Gabby. She's another very talented and accomplished jumper with a lot of hop who has a nose for the ball. She's not the all-round defender that Gabby is, but I think Gary Blair has done a great job with her.

Reaction Score

Gabby
Lou, Napheesa
Crystal
Megan, Mikayla

She is talking about college.

Reaction Score
Congratulations on kids being HS McDs AAs. It doesnt mean squat in college especially Div.1.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yes - whoever said the quote - which I find quite funny - is saying that UConn has 5 legitimate (college) All-American Starters, all he has to do is manage their minutes and they could make the WNBA playoffs. Note that it acknowledges that UConn doesn't look to embarrass opponents.

I don't really see it as a knock, but I know y'all are sensitive because of the unjust things a lot of folks have said. This just sounds to me as someone being funny.

Quite frankly, and I've said this before, UConn's dominance is because of the quality of the players on the floor. That doesn't mean that they would be anywhere near so good without Geno's development, nor (just to point it out) does it deny that he recruited them. As many have said, Geno could win with lesser players - and I think the UConn team would win with almost any of the decent coaches. They wouldn't dominate and they wouldn't be winning any NC's, but they are a pretty special bunch.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Congratulations on kids being HS McDs AAs. It doesnt mean squat in college especially Div.1.

If it did, Texas would be #1 and Mississippi State would be winless. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
No way this came from Kim. She has always praised and respected Geno.
True. And if she did say such a thing, her tongue would be pushed clear through her cheek.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yes - whoever said the quote - which I find quite funny - is saying that UConn has 5 legitimate (college) All-American Starters, all he has to do is manage their minutes and they could make the WNBA playoffs. Note that it acknowledges that UConn doesn't look to embarrass opponents.

I don't really see it as a knock, but I know y'all are sensitive because of the unjust things a lot of folks have said. This just sounds to me as someone being funny.

Quite frankly, and I've said this before, UConn's dominance is because of the quality of the players on the floor. That doesn't mean that they would be anywhere near so good without Geno's development, nor (just to point it out) does it deny that he recruited them. As many have said, Geno could win with lesser players - and I think the UConn team would win with almost any of the decent coaches. They wouldn't dominate and they wouldn't be winning any NC's, but they are a pretty special bunch.
Geno has definately won with lessor players. Just look at last season. At the start of the season it was "now is the time to get them" because of all the lessor players. But Geno and company did their usual great work and voila, they go undefeated up until the FF4 fluke loss and today have multiple AAs.

Reaction Score
Regardless of if she did or didn't say it, there are at least three players in teh starting lineup that WERE NOT first team all americans as HS seniors - Gabby Williams, Kia Nurse, and Napheesa. At a minimum, Geno's coaching ability shows up in the fact that he took three good players and turned them into GREAT players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom