This game prepared us for this weekend | The Boneyard

This game prepared us for this weekend

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The experience we gained from this game will carry us a long way. We fought, we played tuff defense, and we won ugly. We found a way to grit it out and win when we didnt have our best stuff and we did it under unbelievable pressure. I dont have to go into why it was ugly, thats already been taken care of in other threads. This game made us a better team. It amplified our weakness's and showed us our over all strength. We were forced to play under tremendous pressure and although many saw us as nervous and shaky we over came those two imposters and learned how to win inspite of them. We need to understand if the refs are going to tolerate the ruff stuff then maybe we need to play ruff too. Paiges scuffle over a jump ball where the refs were forced to call the game close changed the game.

From reading the posts about this game blame is placed everywhere as it should be. However I see this experience just one niche in are arsenal to make us stronger. It was an ugly game and we were forced to find a way to get through it and we did. Winning isn't always easy but its always worth it. We showed fight determination resilience and belief in our selves. Ive repeated this many times. Winners find a way to win. We may have looked scared and out of sorts, but we remained positive. When you dont play your best and find a way to win then you've grown to a new level of mental strength. Maybe this win, which didnt come easy, was the test we needed to increase our belief which builds confidence

We have gone through alot this season and are better because of it. Looking back at where we were a few months ago and seeing where we are today shows us that. Now this game we can include in our learning experiences this season. This games experience will show up down the road when we get in a tight situation. Because of this game we know we can do it because we have already been there and done it.

We have a few days to get ready for this weekend. This game prepared us for this weekend and unfortunately Indiana and the winner of the ND/NC State wont be as prepared when they face our defense.

Reaction Score
Next up, Indiana, smaller, not as athletic as UCF, they play 4 guards and a forward, and like to pick for 3, or dribble to basket one on one!
Good tough switch defense on the perimeter by UCONN like we saw in the big east tournament, and its on to the elite 8!

Reaction Score
This Saturday, we are going to see UConn scoring where there will a shooting percentage of over 50 per cent. Defense is going to keep Indiana at 55 points or less.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
From reading the posts about this game blame is placed everywhere as it should be.. . .

I prefer the Henry Ford approach: "Don't find fault, find a solution." I'm sure Geno is working on exactly that, and he's the right person to do it.

Fortunately, UConn is playing a basketball team this weekend. A damn good one, but a basketball team, not a hockey team.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
By "us" did you mean us, the fans? Yes, this game taught us to lower our expectations, and perhaps be more realistic about our chances. Personally, I always felt each game would be a struggle, so not really surprised. How about you, Tony, were you surprised?

Reaction Score
Geno always said that March was the time of the year when he focused on the positives and strengths of the players. Whatever they do well--they have to do well NOW! He is in the "building confidence" mode --in March.
Speaking positive about the game--UConn just played the toughest defense in the nation -- top three for sure. The positive is that UConn
did well on the offense by getting many "sure bet" attempts at the basket. They worked for good attempts all game. The improvement/learning part is (as CW said in the post game) we know UConn has to MAKE those "sure bet" attempts. I believe that the offense did work well to get those attempts.
Defensively, UConn hardly ever gave up an easy attempt. Holding UCF to 5 points in a quarter showed that.

Next game-- Indiana is smaller, slower, and less aggressive. Their defense is OK, but not in the same league as UCF. Stopping the Indiana 3 pt. shot is paramount. I don't think Indiana has a top level penetrating team. Smart, experienced, and hungry are their traits.
If Indiana is "1985 Villanova hot" then they can win. Otherwise I like this match-up.

Reaction Score
I don't know if that UCF game gets UConn better prepared or not. There was plenty to like and dislike about that game. I think the best thing to do is get that game in the rear view mirror. Move on.

If ever there was a game to use all nine, the UCF game was it. Spreading the minutes and giving some breathers would have helped. Benching Nika and Caroline for two fouls and two missed layups? I think Nika's 6 minutes helped turn the tide. I think UConn is better served with Nika starting on Saturday. Better chance of UConn throwing the proverbial first punch with her in the lineup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom