This game had to feel good for Banks and Stef | The Boneyard

This game had to feel good for Banks and Stef

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Banks made the most of her minutes tonight. Meanwhile, the team focused on getting Stef the ball in the low post repeatedly. I feel like Stef needed a game like this.

On a negative note, did Kiah even play? I was at the game, and it occurred to me afterwards that I didn't recall her entering the game. Any explanation on the broadcast?

Also Chris Dailey really got in KML's face late in the game. Not sure what the issue was, but CD was furious. She actually kind of grabbed KML's cheeks the way you might a six year old.

Reaction Score
Wow. Didn't see the Chris conflict on TV, but couldn't agree more on the other points. I loved this game in part because they pushed the ball in to the post time and again, and Stef delivered. Banks seems to be getting more assertive, which has to make the coaches happy.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Speakin ' of six year olds' cheeks, how'd the kid like the game?

As for Kiah - no play. Guessin' she's sittin' in the doghouse of the bay.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
She had a great time, though she spent the final 10 minutes of the game walking up and down the steps.

Here's a happy pic of Lillian before the game:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325217654.058110.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325217654.058110.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 60

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Does KML stand for Kiss My Lips?

Brianna and Stef combined for 16-18, or just under 90%!

Where did Brianna score from? All layups? How was her defense? Did Geno seem happy with her?

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Wow. Didn't see the Chris conflict on TV, but couldn't agree more on the other points. I loved this game in part because they pushed the ball in to the post time and again, and Stef delivered. Banks seems to be getting more assertive, which has to make the coaches happy.

Great game for Banks. She looked much more aggressive and confident and stronger. It looks like "she's getting it" (or "she's got it") re effort, and intensity, and strength, and endurance.

I hope she can help Kiah to get going at 100% very soon.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

Where did Brianna score from? All layups? How was her defense? Did Geno seem happy with her?

They were all lay-ups. On very aggressive plays. She played really good defense on every possession and at very high intensity. Geno left her in for long stretches in the 2nd half. He had to be pleased with her play. She didn't play like a freshman tonight. Had good judgment on shot selection.

SMILE.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

Brianna's points were layups, but she was very aggressive on both offense and defense. Geno didn't react one way or another, but she definitely got a ton of minutes, relatively speaking.

Also great to see Heather back in and playing solid ball.

sTu

Reaction Score
I was happy watching Heather make strong, decisive moves offensively. She was not hesitant. She just played.
Johnson also looked more fluid. She had a strong move with a change of direction to the hoop that she failed to finish and a gorgeous pass on a cut to the basket.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I just saw in the play-by-play that she was 5-5 on layups. But it sounds good. Maryland could not shoot 5-5 on layups. :)

I'd love to see her get 5 layups against Baylor!

Reaction Score
Banks made the most of her minutes tonight. Meanwhile, the team focused on getting Stef the ball in the low post repeatedly. I feel like Stef needed a game like this.

On a negative note, did Kiah even play? I was at the game, and it occurred to me afterwards that I didn't recall her entering the game. Any explanation on the broadcast?

Also Chris Dailey really got in KML's face late in the game. Not sure what the issue was, but CD was furious. She actually kind of grabbed KML's cheeks the way you might a six year old.

Whoa! Since when is it appropriate for a coach to lay his/her hands on a player?

Especially in anger?

Kiah didn't get into the game. Very harsh treatment not to get any PT against a cupcake team like Fairfield.

Very embarassing for Kiah.

Not good. Not good.

Peace,

John Fryer

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
“Our coaching staff can keep saying `Don’t let Dolson get two feet in the paint,’ ” Fairfield coach Joe Frager said, “But they’re kind of looking at me like `Coach, I’m really trying. I’m throwing my 160 (pounds) against her and it’s just not really cutting it right now.’ “

Let's see how she fares against Peters and Achonwa.

Last year...24 mins...10.2 ppg/6.1 rb/1.6 a/1.2 bl
This year...20 mins...10.2 ppg/5.5 rb/1.4 a/1.0 bl

Not to be Danny Downer, but I am concerned that she may have plateaued especially when one considers that she amassed last year's figures with continual improvement throughout the season.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
No one was implying that Stef was facing strong competition. The point was that she hadn't had a really prolific scoring game until last night, and she needed one. Additionally, this was the first game where the rest of her team made getting the ball into the post a priority. That's also a big deal.

BTW, Stef smoked Notre Dame twice last season, lest we forget.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
“Our coaching staff can keep saying `Don’t let Dolson get two feet in the paint,’ ” Fairfield coach Joe Frager said, “But they’re kind of looking at me like `Coach, I’m really trying. I’m throwing my 160 (pounds) against her and it’s just not really cutting it right now.’ “

Let's see how she fares against Peters and Achonwa.

Last year...24 mins...10.2 ppg/6.1 rb/1.6 a/1.2 bl
This year...20 mins...10.2 ppg/5.5 rb/1.4 a/1.0 bl

Not to be Danny Downer, but I am concerned that she may have plateaued especially when one considers that she amassed last year's figures with continual improvement throughout the season.
Last year Stef was a surprise; this year coaches are game-planning specifically for her. I don't mean this as an excuse but pointing out that there's a reason it's become more difficult for Stef this year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Not only was Stef a surprise, but she was playing alongside an historically great player who was the primary focus of every opposing defense. Now, getting the ball away from the only post player UConn has on the court is a big priority.

Reaction Score
Whoa! Since when is it appropriate for a coach to lay his/her hands on a player?

Especially in anger?

Kiah didn't get into the game. Very harsh treatment not to get any PT against a cupcake team like Fairfield.

Very embarassing for Kiah.

Not good. Not good.

Peace,

John Fryer
Coaching staff is sending a pretty strong message to Kiah. I hope she responds positvely.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the repetition in a real game was a positive, even if it was easy vs. Fairfield. As Geno teaches, practice! It may have helped Stef's confidence and mindset and also pointed out to her teammates how to score easily.

We don't have Maya any more, but if ND wants to overplay Stefanie and leave Kaleena, Bria, and Tiffany open, I'll take it. I don't think ND can stop Stef one-on-one if she gets good entry passes.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Issues surrounding Stef are ones in her control and ones not in her control. Stef can get in and battle for position, high or low. However, if the pass does not come to her at the right point in time (rhythm), when she is in the correct position on the court, and to the correct hand or lead there is little that she can do except catch the ball and look for the open player. Frequently, the passes have been too late (out of rhythm) or to a bad location (too long or too short) and uncatchable or at least unfinishable. These things need to work just as in sync as any back door cut. In the previous game Stef has flashed across the lower blocks but the pass was so late to her after she had passed the hoop and had no real shot short of a backwards leaning under the backboard one.

Stef's job fight for location and establish it quickly and isolating the defender away from the side she wants to roll to. Also, she can flash to the top of the key at the point when it opens and when others are available to hit the boards.

Guards job is to watch Stef's battle for position and to recognize before she achieves isolation of the defender what is coming and to deliver the ball to the correct place at the time it is needed. Stef, also, needs other players to hold their players as far away from her as possible to minimize the help D on the side she is going to. This isolates the help defender but, also, potential provides an outlet pass for a good shot if the help defender collapses.

Geno's job is to stay on the officials to make sure that Stef has a fair shot at the entry pass without being pushed out of bounds or to the floor. This has happened several times in recent games where Stef was shoved and unable to contend for the pass because she was knocked down. She should be getting to the foul line and drawing fouls on the defender for those.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Issues surrounding Stef are ones in her control and ones not in her control. Stef can get in and battle for position, high or low. However, if the pass does not come to her at the right point in time (rhythm), when she is in the correct position on the court, and to the correct hand or lead there is little that she can do except catch the ball and look for the open player. Frequently, the passes have been too late (out of rhythm) or to a bad location (too long or too short) and uncatchable or at least unfinishable. These things need to work just as in sync as any back door cut. In the previous game Stef has flashed across the lower blocks but the pass was so late to her after she had passed the hoop and had no real shot short of a backwards leaning under the backboard one.

Stef's job fight for location and establish it quickly and isolating the defender away from the side she wants to roll to. Also, she can flash to the top of the key at the point when it opens and when others are available to hit the boards.

Guards job is to watch Stef's battle for position and to recognize before she achieves isolation of the defender what is coming and to deliver the ball to the correct place at the time it is needed. Stef, also, needs other players to hold their players as far away from her as possible to minimize the help D on the side she is going to. This isolates the help defender but, also, potential provides an outlet pass for a good shot if the help defender collapses.

Geno's job is to stay on the officials to make sure that Stef has a fair shot at the entry pass without being pushed out of bounds or to the floor. This has happened several times in recent games where Stef was shoved and unable to contend for the pass because she was knocked down. She should be getting to the foul line and drawing fouls on the defender for those.
The defense is indeed ahead of the offense. They need to refine the timing on the entry passes.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The defense is indeed ahead of the offense. They need to refine the timing on the entry passes.
Last night that stuff looked good. Of course, the better the defender the more critical the timing is and the smaller the window of opportunity.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last night that stuff looked good. Of course, the better the defender the more critical the timing is and the smaller the window of opportunity.
Yep, but hopefully we can build on what we did last night. I don't think we scored inside by surprising Fairfield. We went inside play after play, and they knew it was coming.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
Last year Stef was a surprise; this year coaches are game-planning for her specifically. I don't mean this as an excuse but pointing out that there's a reason it's become more difficult for Stef this year.

She probably dropped 20 pounds during last season and another 20 this summer. Her conditioning is night and day over last year at this point so that is what has me baffled. It just doesn't seem to have made any difference on the court. Of course I don't think Geno did her any favors by calling her the second best center in the country. Maybe she is trying too hard to live up to this.

You are right about teams keying on her this year. She really does seem to be taking a beating even if the opposition is 160 pound "gnats." She probably has as many bruises as DT ever got.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
lets keep this up against BE team and not Fairfield
Well, yes, the opponent wasn't exactly Notre Dame but seeing progression in players can be apparent against any opponent. Apparently Brianna has learned that she could score 25 by ignoring her teammates and driving willy-nilly into the paint or she can score 12 AND run an offense that makes the Huskies harder to defend. Stef learned she can maintain her intensity for the entire game even when her team is up 40 points on an overmatched opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom