This drives me nuts about Andre Jackson! | The Boneyard

This drives me nuts about Andre Jackson!

Reaction Score
Andre, please take your guy to the rim occasionally!

Okay, so I know Andre is practically a god on this board, so let me say first, he's a great player who fits this team perfectly. I was a little frustrated with him last year, because when he was playing with other non-shooters, his athleticism wasn't enough. This year though, on a team with many other shooters and scorers, his contagious hard work and freakish athleticism is a tremendous asset. Having said that, I have always said that if I'm coaching against UConn, part of the scouting report would be, if Jackson gets the ball, don't worry about rebounding position or being in help positions, cut off the passing lanes. He passes the ball 90% of the time.

I actually charted the first half of the Georgetown game. He touched the ball on offense outside of the restricted area in the frontcourt 25 times. The options are pass, dribble, shoot. He shot once from the outside. The only drive to the basket that resulted in a shot was the one where he got the ball on the break and dunked. It was really the only good option. The other 23 times resulted in a pass. 11 times he put the ball on the floor, and the only resulting shot attempt was that one dunk on the break. Every other time he drove towards the basket, the result was a pass. He has the ability to take people off the dribble. He has the ability to sky over guys. I can't imagine why he doesn't get to the hoop and score off the dribble more. I think it's a combination of being unselfish and being uncomfortable with finishing.

I don't think he should shoot from the outside much until he develops his outside shot more, there are just too many other better shooters. But, when he gets the ball on the perimeter, he should be a threat to drive more and get to the rim. To play in the NBA, he's going to need to be able to do it. The great thing is though, this team doesn't need it that much.

Reaction Score

Okay, so I know Andre is practically a god on this board, so let me say first, he's a great player who fits this team perfectly. I was a little frustrated with him last year, because when he was playing with other non-shooters, his athleticism wasn't enough. This year though, on a team with many other shooters and scorers, his contagious hard work and freakish athleticism is a tremendous asset. Having said that, I have always said that if I'm coaching against UConn, part of the scouting report would be, if Jackson gets the ball, don't worry about rebounding position or being in help positions, cut off the passing lanes. He passes the ball 90% of the time.

I actually charted the first half of the Georgetown game. He touched the ball on offense outside of the restricted area in the frontcourt 25 times. The options are pass, dribble, shoot. He shot once from the outside. The only drive to the basket that resulted in a shot was the one where he got the ball on the break and dunked. It was really the only good option. The other 23 times resulted in a pass. 11 times he put the ball on the floor, and the only resulting shot attempt was that one dunk on the break. Every other time he drove towards the basket, the result was a pass. He has the ability to take people off the dribble. He has the ability to sky over guys. I can't imagine why he doesn't get to the hoop and score off the dribble more. I think it's a combination of being unselfish and being uncomfortable with finishing.

I don't think he should shoot from the outside much until he develops his outside shot more, there are just too many other better shooters. But, when he gets the ball on the perimeter, he should be a threat to drive more and get to the rim. To play in the NBA, he's going to need to be able to do it. The great thing is though, this team doesn't need it that much.
I want to see Dr J.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
AJax is a wonderful athlete still learning how to be a basketball player
It's going to take time but am glad he is doing it in a UConn uniform for he helps those around him.

Reaction Score
Come On Please GIF by NBA

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score

But, when he gets the ball on the perimeter, he should be a threat to drive more and get to the rim. To play in the NBA, he's going to need to be able to do it. The great thing is though, this team doesn't need it that much.
Yup. When finally lets it out it’s gonna be nasty as hell. Here’s to hoping it’s at a home game.

Reaction Score
The overhead view of Clingan's dunk (after the Calcaterra behind the back pass) - it looked like Jackson's head was going right into the camera. It was the angle, but it looked like he was 48" off the floor.

Reaction Score
I disagree that he shouldn't shoot from the outside -- he needs to be a threat just like everyone else, or we're easy to defend.

I agree that he needs to be more of a threat off the dribble. He's very clearly uncomfortable laying the ball in, but at the very least he should be able to use his athleticism to draw fouls. If he dishes it off every time, the opponent will catch on. It was already hurting us at times against Georgetown.

Reaction Score
This kind of assumes Andre can finish efficiently at the rim... which he hasn't really shown yet with consistency. I have no reason not to trust the coaching staff and Andre to put him in the best position to help our team win. Until I hear Hurley say "Andre needs to drive more" I'm happy with our offense... the #6 offense in America.

Reaction Score
I don't think it has to do with comfort in finishing, success of his floater or a killer instinct (out lack there of) to dunk on people.

I listened to this podcast 1 on 1 with Andre and you'll hear it directly in his own words. I don't think that's who he envisions himself to be. I've given up getting frustrated that he doesn't play the way I'd want him to play. He plays the game the way he enjoys it most. Hurley challenged him to be a productive player for UConn last year, and for the most part he has been.

He's a super utility glue guy, focused on defense and passing.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This is the stuff people say about Ben Simmons. At some point you gotta accept it’s not in their mental make up. The Nets have been great with him as a super role player, just like UConn with Andre. These guys don’t suddenly decide to play like Lebron.

Reaction Score

Preaching to the choir.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nothing wrong keeping a little bit back...

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is the stuff people say about Ben Simmons. At some point you gotta accept it’s not in their mental make up. The Nets have been great with him as a super role player, just like UConn with Andre. These guys don’t suddenly decide to play like Lebron.
Fwiw he seems to be playing more aggressive lately and attacking more. There’s a balance that he should find. Him making guys afraid of him attacking the rim would open up the floor even more.

Reaction Score

Just asking, if you were a teammate, would you want a guy playing with you who prioritized passing the ball? That’s the beauty of this team offensively.
As for his drives, I predict they will come. Talking to him, one thing he’s really worked on is tightening up his dribbling and passing, which along with athleticism leads to becoming an effective driver.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I agree with much of what youve said, he’s very predictable. I would tell my team to jump passing lanes vs him, he can also be careless with the ball. But hes not a total non-factor like Akok was. The problem is that whatever we gained in the half court by replacing him we would lose that and more in transition, defense, and overall team energy level/activity. In the near future everyone on the team around DC will be a triple threat.

Reaction Score
The thing with defending Andre is that you can say defend him as a passer but he sees all 4 other players on the floor for us so anyone open gets the pass. The other thing going on this season is the 4 other players on the floor with Andre are ready for a pass. There are far fewer fumbled catch attempts than the last 2 years. Everyone is heads up for us. Opposing coaches hate Andre.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Fwiw he seems to be playing more aggressive lately and attacking more. There’s a balance that he should find. Him making guys afraid of him attacking the rim would open up the floor even more.
I hope he keeps attacking. But i said that about Gaffney, I hoped Whaley would shoot more, at some point you accept these guys have mental blocks about shooting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom