This Article Sums up the stupidity of it all! | The Boneyard

This Article Sums up the stupidity of it all!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

This article basically restates every argument point I use when talking to my wife and friends on why this move is so short sighted and stupid.

I guarantee attendance for games against DePaul, Butler, Creighton, Marquette, Xavier will be easy to get after a year or so when the realization sets in that we have zero history with these schools, just like the AAC schools.

Outside of Villanova, what NBE team did anyone get pumped to see play? Seton Hall, St John's, and Providence were filler games with Providence being a good game at times. I never saw the allure of Georgetown but that's the team others will say.

It just still baffles me why any of this went down after we rode it out for so long. What would another 4-5 years be? No P5 movement? Shut it down, go FCS, go Indy, fine. But we held on this long, it's like we were almost to seeing if had a shot and then said F it, we can't wait.

Reaction Score

This article basically restates every argument point I use when talking to my wife and friends on why this move is so short sighted and stupid.

I guarantee attendance for games against DePaul, Butler, Creighton, Marquette, Xavier will be easy to get after a year or so when the realization sets in that we have zero history with these schools, just like the AAC schools.

Outside of Villanova, what NBE team did anyone get pumped to see play? Seton Hall, St John's, and Providence were filler games with Providence being a good game at times. I never saw the allure of Georgetown but that's the team others will say.

It just still baffles me why any of this went down after we rode it out for so long. What would another 4-5 years be? No P5 movement? Shut it down, go FCS, go Indy, fine. But we held on this long, it's like we were almost to seeing if had a shot and then said F it, we can't wait.

We used to call the Catholic 7 a bunch of parasites. Now we are basically joining them.

Other than Nova, who cares? I miss the Pitt/ WVU/ Louisville/Cuse games the most.

Reaction Score
looking back and connecting the dots, this was likely the plan all along after Diaco failed.
He was the shining hire. The schools foray into hiring a big name coach.

After 3 coaches with success on their resume fail to win 3 games, you start to wonder if something was in the water. Then you have coaches leaving for even positions elsewhere. Coaches paying other coaches out of their pockets... I'm not suggesting these coaches were all HOF coaches, but were they given the resources and tools they needed to be successful? Diaco probably would have found a way to self destruct anyway, but still. The program is a complete mess right down to the worst year every in FBS. It's Major League the movie, but this time it's college football.

The leaders of Uconn, whoever that is pulling the strings, were never all in for football. Everything from the stadium, to the coaches, to the branding was on the cheap. P5 schools don't want a leach. They want a team that is all in. Louisville was that school.

Nothing over the past week so far has suggested that the school is suddenly going to invest in fb. Instead, we'll hear more about the commitment to football and getting it solved. Meanwhile, the coaching will be on the cheap, the overall plan will be on the cheap, and eventually the program will just go away.

How do you drum up fans for this season now?

Reaction Score
This article is trash...the Football program had to go the way of old yeller and it is finally happening. It was anchor on the program and without the weight of our crappy conference basketball recruiting is going to be in overdrive. We are going to win and win big. The football team will never be a winner. All 5 of you football fans can cry about this but the fact is this is an out standing move for Basketball and a great move for the university.

UConn Basketball forever UConn Football never.

Reaction Score
This article is trash...the Football program had to go the way of old yeller and it is finally happening. It was anchor on the program and without the weight of our crappy conference basketball recruiting is going to be in overdrive. We are going to win and win big. The football team will never be a winner. All 5 of you football fans can cry about this but the fact is this is an out standing move for Basketball and a great move for the university.

You honestly have to try harder or it might be time to hang up the alias handle. Super weak.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

I expect top 10 classes moving forward. Anything else is unacceptable.

Reaction Score

I expect top 10 classes moving forward. Anything else is unacceptable.

Better sell out every game too.

Reaction Score
You honestly have to try harder or it might be time to hang up the alias handle. Super weak.

What alias...I know it's hard for all 5 football fans to imagine other people despising the Football team and seeing it for what it is and that's a cancer on the University that I love. The Football team brought 1 win a year and lots of revenue loss to the University, we had to save the Basketball program first,last, always.

Reaction Score
Right!! Its only 16000 at the xl. If this is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I expect fanatics to pay top dollar on stub hub for Creighton tix.

That’s not were the revenue is. It is in the TV money. I need to see what deal UCONN gets from SNY. Does this kill the ESPN pay for view model? Can they expand the network so there is more access to games nationwide? There is a lot that still needs to shake out before we understand the financial implications of this move. Football has been the anchor. Cutting it loose may work out for basketball and other sports. We will know soon enough.

Reaction Score
Right!! Its only 16000 at the xl. If this is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I expect fanatics to pay top dollar on stub hub for Creighton tix.

UConn fans will show up...football fans will probably bang there heads into a locker hoping to go back to 2018 when the team won one game but hey we were in the worst conference ever.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
That’s not were the revenue is. It is in the TV money. I need to see what deal UCONN gets from SNY. Does this kill the ESPN pay for view model? Can they expand the network so there is more access to games nationwide? There is a lot that still needs to shake out before we understand the financial implications of this move. Football has been the anchor. Cutting it loose may work out for basketball and other sports. We will know soon enough.
Good points but when it comes to fans in the seats they weren't going because AAC.

We arent talking revenue we are talking fan reaction and expectations.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
UConn fans will show up...football fans will probably bang there heads into a locker hoping to go back to 2018 when the team won one game but hey we were in the worst conference ever.
Time will tell. Let's touch base after the highly anticipated Creighton at UConn matchup.

Reaction Score
Good points but when it comes to fans in the seats they weren't going because AAC.

We arent talking revenue we are talking fan reaction and expectations.

Question what are your expectations for the Football team: 1 win, 2 wins, or no wins but we gave it the old college try.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Question what are your expectations for the Football team: 1 win, 2 wins, or no wins but we gave it the old college try.
Straight A's in the classroom.

Reaction Score
In Ulysses Grant's autobiography, he used the term "You don't have to be a Connecticut man to understand this", much like we currently use phrase "you don't have to be a genius". At that time Genius = Connecticut man. How did that change to this bumbling ineptitude? What happened?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Hey if smart kids is what you care about then Yale has a good debate team to follow.
Are you saying the UConn Mens Baskeball team is dumb??

Reaction Score
Are you saying the UConn Mens Baskeball team is dumb??

Our Basketball IQ over the last few years has been lacking..Now with Hurley on board the team Basketball IQ is looking up.

Reaction Score
What alias...I know it's hard for all 5 football fans to imagine other people despising the Football team and seeing it for what it is and that's a cancer on the University that I love. The Football team brought 1 win a year and lots of revenue loss to the University, we had to save the Basketball program first,last, always.

Oof. You aren’t giving up.

Reaction Score
Time will tell. Let's touch base after the highly anticipated Creighton at UConn matchup.

These comments about Creighton are so silly. I’d rather see UConn play Creighton than any school in the AAC with the exception of Cincy, Temple and Memphis. People don’t seem to know the history of college basketball at all. Creighton is a good basketball school.

I’ve seen comments saying we have “absolutely no history with DePaul, Marquette, Butler etc”. We were in the Big East with DePaul and Marquette. We recruited Illinois back then, ever hear of Ryan Boatwright? What about AJ’s crossover at Marquette? We played Butler for the 2011 national championship! People are just dumb . The Big East will be great for basketball. PC is a great opponent, SJU gets us in the Garden more. Seton Hall has been very solid.

The problem here is hurting football. We’ve got to save it and prosper. That’s the fly in the ointment. Big East Basketball is leaps and bounds better.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is about more games in all sports closer to NYC/CT and deficit reduction.

Trading Tulsa for Creighton isn't the point, trading Houston, SMU, ECU, for St. Johns, Seton Hall. and Providence is.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
These comments about Creighton are so silly. I’d rather see UConn play Creighton than any school in the AAC with the exception of Cincy, Temple and Memphis. People don’t seem to know the history of college basketball at all. Creighton is a good basketball school.

I’ve seen comments saying we have “absolutely no history with DePaul, Butler etc”. We were in the Big East with DePaul. We recruited Illinois back then, ever hear of Ryan Boatwright? We played Butler for the 2011 national championship! People are just dumb . The Big East will be great for basketball. PC is a great opponent, SJU gets us in the Garden more. Seton Hall has been very solid.

The problem here is hurting football. We’ve got to save it and prosper. That’s the fly in the ointment. Big East Basketball is leaps and bounds better.
Excellent post. Maybe if our admin gave a presser or issued a statement officially that would be nice. Benedict has really been a ghost since he got here.

Reaction Score
The main problem with football is that the team was dreadful. UConn fans have proven that they will support football. Being a football indy is risky, but start winning some games and perceptions will change. I agree that rejoining the Big East is something that had to be done, staying in the AAC was not helping basketball, but the ACC was obviously not calling and the move had to be made.

This isn't the Big East of old, however. No Cuse, Pitt, Ville, ND, and good riddance to BC (who caused us to be left out of the ACC). Syracuse was always our big rival in basketball and probably still is. Games with Providence always get the locals fired up. If it wasn't for Villanova, the Big East would really be struggling, although Georgetown looks to be on an upswing of late.

I will welcome attending the Big East tournament at MSG once again, that is also an important piece of this puzzle.

Reaction Score
I think people underestimate the Big East fan bases. Only once or twice this winter did I tune to FS1 and see a game and crowd that resembled an AAC game. The games were exciting, the basketball was fun to watch and the crowds were great. No rock fights in front of 3500 people to be found.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom