Think Don Brown would have made a difference? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Think Don Brown would have made a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree 100% but the whole #1 Hank fan thing has to stop... dude can't coach up a D for

You made up the #1 Hank fan stuff, not me. I said I liked them both, even though they have opposing styles. If you want to turn that into me saying that he's the best DC, that's on you, not me. I'm well aware that there are better DC's out there....better than BOTH the gentlemen we are speaking about!...and I've said as much in previous threads...but feel free to put words in my mouth. It's a free Boneyard...

Reaction Score
If we are talking about Don Brown coming back as a Head Coach and making him an offer, then that would be an interesting thread to put up. I'm not sure if it's the best choice going forward, but he has had success in that role before, and he would be a defense-first type of coach. An interesting suggestion.

Plus hiring him as HC would hurt a local rival of ours. Always a good thing to do.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Plus hiring him as HC would hurt a local rival of ours. Always a good thing to do.

It's an intriguing idea. I wonder how his recruiting would be. He would have to probably get someone that was known to be a recruiter on his staff. He could tout former UConn players going to the NFL under his watch when he went on the recruiting trips. I wonder who he would pick for his DC? ;)

Reaction Score
Who the hell wants to coach with PP and GDL for 3 years? You would do the same if you were Brown. Have fun denying you wouldn't

He left because he knew they were getting fired after this year. He is an older guy. If Addazio fails at BC it may be his last coaching stop, as he clearly wants to coach close to home. I wish they gave the job to him to him instead of PP but that isn't how it worked out.
He left because he is smart, and reset his coaching clock as far as coaching close to home. Sorry you can't see that.

Reaction Score
He left because he knew they were getting fired after this year. He is an older guy. If Addazio fails at BC it may be his last coaching stop, as he clearly wants to coach close to home. I wish they gave the job to him to him instead of PP but that isn't how it worked out.
He left because he is smart, and reset his coaching clock as far as coaching close to home. Sorry you can't see that.

How do I not see that? If you look at my past posts about D. Brown I basically said the same thing

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Here is some irony, though:

I agree with your assessment of why and when he left. But I have to believe that if he had stayed, Warde would have placed HIM as the interim coach instead of Weist. Did he just cost himself a quick chance at the head coaching position near home? If so, maybe he's kicking himself a little by going to Addazio. Remember, this is a guy that was flirting with the idea of coaching at Yale not too long ago, so he clearly would like a head coaching job. But he may have just screwed himself out of one by running away. Warde may wish to make a bigger splash if he can (or a "younger" splash, or a "Michigan-ties" splash, whatever). But at this point, it's unlikely that Don Brown coaches UConn next year, IMHO, and it may not have been true if he didn't leave...

Reaction Score
How do I not see that? If you look at my past posts about D. Brown I basically said the same thing

I just don't think he hated PGDL as much as you stated. The man is a coach that knew what we are up against. He knew better than anybody that we were headed for huge drop off on defense from a talent standpoint. He made the smart move for him personally, and you're right, he might have cost himself a shot at the interim tag, but such is life.

Reaction Score
would be worth a shot to bring DB back as DC. pay him one more dime than BC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I don't want him as HC, not at his age.

I am pretty confident if the incoming HC wanted him as DC we could pry him away from BC. I doubt this is in the cards (as the new HC will very likely have different plans) but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom