Things you would like to see Sat. | The Boneyard

Things you would like to see Sat.

Reaction Score
Offense: A pass to a TE. A screen pass. A pass to the center of the field. Fewer penalties.

Defense: The line moving pre-snap. LBs faking a blitz. A TO.

It's hard to know if Edsall was going pure vanilla on Thursday or that is his scheme for O and D. We're going to need to be more imaginative versus Illinois as we wont be able to physically overwhelm them. We pretty much dominated Wagner but the combination of TOs and penalties at key points prevented an easy win. The good news is there is plenty of tape to help the players understand the things that need to be cleaned up. And being at home should help.

Reaction Score
D - Continued good work at DLine. LB play steps up a level. We contain the edges. We contest in coverage and not go sift to avoid big plays.

O - Use the middle of field in pass game. Use tight ends and use soft spot behind LBs and DBs. No read run. Pound the hole and blow guys off the LOS. OL get to second level and sustain blocks.

Reaction Score
3 or 4 plays of 20+ and no turnovers on offense
A couple of sacks and at least 1 turnover by the D
Less than 40 for Illinois
More than 14 for us

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
three things

Pressure on their quarterback, make him feel uncomfortable
throw a seam pass to the tight end for a big gain. It would open things up
I like to see the defense force two turnovers and the offense not give up the ball.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A tight end catching the ball
A pass of more than 30 yards that is both on target and caught
some play calling that has a sense of imagination and purpose
Steven Krajewski if the QB play is not improved after 1st half of play

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Part of the reason UConn sucks so bad is because the coach thinks a turnover is worse than stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

Stop being pansies frightened of a turnover. If you want to score enough points to win a game someday you actually have to take risks.

We lost 31-3 but didn’t turn the ball over!!!!!

Reaction Score
1. Run back instead of fair catching short kickoffs
2. Field every punt (Skanes!) instead of letting them hit and roll another 20 yards
3. Show up and look like you actually practice covering kickoffs and punt returns
4. Throw over the middle.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Part of the reason UConn sucks so bad is because the coach thinks a turnover is worse than stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

Stop being pansies frightened of a turnover. If you want to score enough points to win a game someday you actually have to take risks.

This isn't last year either, just saying

I agree they need to take some risk during the game

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This isn't last year either, just saying

I agree they need to take some risk during the game

if you think you learned anything against wagner you didnt. their offense was legitimately a joke. it took about 3 plays for them to make that clear.

Reaction Score
People in position to do so making hard tackles. I really want to see us start to be more physical. I realize this will take more time to get the whole team playing this way but give us something. And no stupid late hits.
An accurate down field pass of more than 25 yards.
A running back to break out into the clear for a big run of 30 plus yards.
Art Thompson catching a pass in space.
As others have mentioned the use of the TE on seam routes. Watching games all weekend it is maddening we fail to be able to do this.
A defensive back that turns around when the pass is coming.
The defense causing an Illini turnover.

Reaction Score
Clean up the turn overs play strong D get 2 or more turn overs open up the O win the ball game

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Lot of truth in this post. Giving me flashbacks of the UMass game last year.

This upcoming Illinois game better go past the first page of the play book. On offense we need to bring back that misdirection that Lashlee introduced that gave some relief to our OL. We need some TE targets, wheel routes, a few classic screens (but not too many bubble screens, those are too obvious) and a couple check down throws mixed in wouldn’t hurt. Need to Shock everyone by targeting the middle of the field with some pass plays along the way. Throw the slant at least twice.

On D, we need to get more exotic. Time to float KK and Dillion Harris around, mix up the pressure packages. I don’t think DJ Morgan and Gilmartin can handle the massive work load that Illinois will bring for a full four quarters. Get some other guys on the field at the LB over the course of the game. I would love to see a safety blitz and a corner blitz at least once.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom