OT: - Things You Suck At Worse Than You Should | Page 13 | The Boneyard

OT: Things You Suck At Worse Than You Should

Reaction Score
I have trouble backing into a space even with the rear view camera and the colored lines on the camera. Worse trying to back out of a long driveway.

With the long driveway, frantic guidance from passengers doesn't help much. It is better when somebody nearby or a passenger, gets out and tells me which way to turn the wheel, and when to stop and turn it the other way.

If there's room at the top of the driveway to turn around and exit facing forward, that works a lot better. Not always the case with many driveways, though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have trouble backing into a space even with the rear view camera and the colored lines on the camera. Worse trying to back out of a long driveway.

With the long driveway, frantic guidance from passengers doesn't help much. It is better when somebody nearby or a passenger, gets out and tells me which way to turn the wheel, and when to stop and turn it the other way.

mdnhp.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm terrible at painting. Even with the best supplies and all possible safety measures, any room I paint ends up blotchy and with paint all over the ceiling, baseboard, windowsill, and everywhere else it's not supposed to be.

Reaction Score
Also have a 16 year old daughter learning to drive, but she’s on my side and backs me up that I drive fine and that her mother is a far worse driver.

Incidentally, California requires a certain number of practice hours before you can take your actual road test. My kid has logged about 8 of the required 50 so last Saturday I proposed a drive over to this breakfast place I like near Dodger Stadium. It's about 15 miles from us which might as well be another galaxy. I figured we'd knock out some driving time and get something good to eat. I told her we could take surface streets and avoid the freeways. Bear in mind my wife is more of the "training wheels" school of thought when it comes to this stuff while I'm more of a "sink or swim" person. So at some point I realize a trip on surface streets to the other side of the city is going to take way too long so I gently proposed we hop on the (fairly busy) 101 freeway, which we did. Believe me when I tell you I cannot recall another time in my life when I felt so completely helpless as to whether I lived or died. Terrifying. I drove us home. We will revisit the freeways in 30 hours or so.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I let my son drive home from a college visit on the Schuylkill Expressway, a.k.a. the Sure Kill Expressway. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced such sheer terror in my life. Literally multiple times when he managed to stop the car within inches of the car ahead of us. The thing is that’s kind of the Schuylkill. People around us were doing the same thing, but having an inexperienced driver attempt it was terrifying.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Me too. Add a 16 year old who is learning to drive yet still terrible but joins her mother in accusing me of being a bad driver to the mix, too.
Also have a 16 year old daughter learning to drive, but she’s on my side and backs me up that I drive fine and that her mother is a far worse driver.

When my daughter and I were going out for her first drive behind the wheel, she backed out of our driveway and made it about 100' down the road in our neighborhood when I saw a mom and dad side by side with their young daughter learning how to ride a bike. They're daughter had a helmet, elbow pads, knee pads and the bike had training wheels. Mom and dad had their hands like an inch from the bike. Meanwhile I'm in the passenger seat of a 3000 lbs vehicle being driven by a teen.

Second story. Same daughter, when she was probably somewhere around 6-8 years old is in the car with mom as mom approached a red light. According to my wife, our daughter looked out her window at the car next to ours and said "bitch". I guess my wife was known for being aggressive with her commentary towards other drivers.

Reaction Score
I let my son drive home from a college visit on the Schuylkill Expressway, a.k.a. the Sure Kill Expressway. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced such sheer terror in my life. Literally multiple times when he managed to stop the car within inches of the car ahead of us. The thing is that’s kind of the Schuylkill. People around us were doing the same thing, but having an inexperienced driver attempt it was terrifying.

Holy ___ the freeway network around downtown LA can get hectic if you've been driving for 30 years. Attempting to navigate it with a 16 year old was sheer terror.

Reaction Score
My tree service charges a lot less than that.

Last time, they got on a bucket and shaped the Magnolia tree and removed dead branches on the higher parts of the tree and suckers or offshoots from the trunk, it was like $250. Since they have a minimum of around $350, they reduced a rhododendron on one side of the property, and shaped and cut back some Mugo pines, and other bushes.

All that totaled around $850, but not for the tree alone.

Best wishes to anyone who wants to get on a ladder and test their agility and coordination, and maneuverability.
Yeah, that’s why I called them, but I could have had it cut down and the stump removed for less. I’ll do it myself when my wife isn’t watching.

Reaction Score
I'm terrible at painting. Even with the best supplies and all possible safety measures, any room I paint ends up blotchy and with paint all over the ceiling, baseboard, windowsill, and everywhere else it's not supposed to be.
And you do it for money? You sound judg like the last guy we hired.

Reaction Score
Same. The misses does a lot of the driving. When we get there and people ask why, I just say, "it's just best for everyone.". Worst passenger stories could be a separate thread....

Reaction Score
I hear ya. Many years ago, I painted professionally...I wasn't the fastest painter in the world, but I didn't always do the best job either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom