Things that give me solace... | The Boneyard

Things that give me solace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While I am certainly confused, anxious, and frustrated about what lies ahead for UConn athletics, I am trying to think about this from Susan Herbst perspective...and I will admit, when I do that, I feel more comfortable about where we are heading.

First, I work closely with the UConn Foundation and I've had the opportunity to meet and chat with Dr Herbst on several occasions. As an alum, I want all good things for the University, but I am a diehard fan and ever since Cuse/Pitt left, I have had an empty feeling in my stomach about the future of our athletics. Dr Herbst CLEARLY understands how important athletics are to the University. Our discussions have focused on the role of athletics in alum donations and growth of the Foundation. She needs the Foundation to grow to achieve the things she wants for the University -- and she most definitely gets it. Now I realize that this don't mean without a formal invite, but I left those discussions feeling incredibly confident she knows what needs to happen and she has made this a priority for MONTHS.

Second, Dr Herbst stressed that realignment wasn't finished and while publicly she said all the right things about NNBE and UConn's future, etc. I feel certain she has been trying her best to make sure that when the next shoe(s) dropped, UConn would be well positioned. Again, no guarantees, but from what I know - she will move mountains to make it happen.

Third, she is not commenting publicly...AT ALL. I have read just about every post on this board (and others) for the past couple weeks and while I have heard just about every plausible outcome, I have not heard a peep from Dr Herbst. THAT GIVES ME SOLACE. Now some will and have argued that UConn's position is well known -- we are single and want to get married, so perhaps she need not say anything. But that's not her style. This woman has BIG plans for the University and this is perhaps one of, if not the most, critical points in her career. Her legacy is on the line. If UConn cannot find a better conference home, it will marginalize our athletics over time. Perhaps not right away, but certainly over time.

So while I know absolutely NOTHING about where we will ultimately wind up and when, I have an enormous amount of faith in Dr Herbst. I think she has been working HARD on this for MONTHS and while that doesn't guarantee anything, I think her silence is golden. ESPECIALLY when it's contrasted with Louisville's very public campaigning. If she felt this was a true dead heat, she too would be returning the Louisville volleys. She's not, and that gives me solace.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about the people we have in place....I worry about the people the ACC has in place.

Reaction Score
What gives me solace is seeing your gratuitous capitalization of "BIG."

Without such ghostly clues my mind couldn't imagine Kate Upton and I attending a Michigan-UConn conference game, for that I am thankful and content.

Reaction Score
I am consoled by the fact that all of the defections since Miami, BC and VT has left me numb. When Rutgers left I checked the boards for new info but it really didn't set off the panic alarms. Now I wait...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
While I am certainly confused, anxious, and frustrated about what lies ahead for UConn athletics, I am trying to think about this from Susan Herbst perspective...and I will admit, when I do that, I feel more comfortable about where we are heading.

First, I work closely with the UConn Foundation and I've had the opportunity to meet and chat with Dr Herbst on several occasions. As an alum, I want all good things for the University, but I am a diehard fan and ever since Cuse/Pitt left, I have had an empty feeling in my stomach about the future of our athletics. Dr Herbst CLEARLY understands how important athletics are to the University. Our discussions have focused on the role of athletics in alum donations and growth of the Foundation. She needs the Foundation to grow to achieve the things she wants for the University -- and she most definitely gets it. Now I realize that this don't mean without a formal invite, but I left those discussions feeling incredibly confident she knows what needs to happen and she has made this a priority for MONTHS.

Second, Dr Herbst stressed that realignment wasn't finished and while publicly she said all the right things about NNBE and UConn's future, etc. I feel certain she has been trying her best to make sure that when the next shoe(s) dropped, UConn would be well positioned. Again, no guarantees, but from what I know - she will move mountains to make it happen.

Third, she is not commenting publicly...AT ALL. I have read just about every post on this board (and others) for the past couple weeks and while I have heard just about every plausible outcome, I have not heard a peep from Dr Herbst. THAT GIVES ME SOLACE. Now some will and have argued that UConn's position is well known -- we are single and want to get married, so perhaps she need not say anything. But that's not her style. This woman has BIG plans for the University and this is perhaps one of, if not the most, critical points in her career. Her legacy is on the line. If UConn cannot find a better conference home, it will marginalize our athletics over time. Perhaps not right away, but certainly over time.

So while I know absolutely NOTHING about where we will ultimately wind up and when, I have an enormous amount of faith in Dr Herbst. I think she has been working HARD on this for MONTHS and while that doesn't guarantee anything, I think her silence is golden. ESPECIALLY when it's contrasted with Louisville's very public campaigning. If she felt this was a true dead heat, she too would be returning the Louisville volleys. She's not, and that gives me solace.

Your post gives me solace, Wharton. :cool:

Reaction Score
Wharton knows of what he speaks. Our Pres was appalled at our smallish endowment and dearth of reasearch grants. Our failure to capitalize on our athletic success was particularly galling. To Pres Herbst, Athletics are the front porch of the University----" if the porch is shoddy, it's tougher to walk in the door"
No reason we shouldn't be AAU. It's really an unstated indictment of prior administrations.
She's been hard at work on several fronts. As I've said before, relax, and sleep the sleep of angels. (Sorry FLdCtyFan and Sportsart, but must stay mum.)

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I AGREE with almost ALL of the WORDS in your POST. :)

Seriously, though, I do.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As I've said before, relax, and sleep the sleep of angels. (Sorry FLdCtyFan and Sportsart, but must stay mum.)

Unless I'm misinterpreting your posts - you always seem to allude that you have inside info regarding UConn's future conference situation?

What gives?

Reaction Score
Wharton knows of what he speaks. Our Pres was appalled at our smallish endowment and dearth of reasearch grants. Our failure to capitalize on our athletic success was particularly galling. To Pres Herbst, Athletics are the front porch of the University----" if the porch is shoddy, it's tougher to walk in the door"
No reason we shouldn't be AAU. It's really an unstated indictment of prior administrations.
She's been hard at work on several fronts. As I've said before, relax, and sleep the sleep of angels. (Sorry FLdCtyFan and Sportsart, but must stay mum.)

No problem. I convinced your wife to spill the beans. Who would have guessed the Pac 10 would be interested in us? Whoops....

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I feel better. This has been a good day.

I couldn't agree more. Yesterday and today have been the most confident and comfortable I've felt since last Monday when MD made the move official to the B1G. I can't see anything making the ACC NOT picking UConn. We just gave them proof/evidence to shove into the FB schools' face if they wanna complain about UConn as a FB entity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom