Things I am sick of as a UCONN fan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Things I am sick of as a UCONN fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am sure the DJ is scripted...he doesn't have the liberty to pump up the crowd when he wants. I am sure he has his game schedule handed to him upon arrival, with the occasional nod to get the crowd going on 3rd Down or during key moments.

The DJ is a atrocity to UConn Football. Just a flat out embarrassment and whoever thought of the idea should literally be fired. This would be a PR or marketing team decision, right? In the business world (UConn Athletics is a big business) if your marketing decisions NEVER work, then you do and should be fired. The pre-game cheerleader, the DJ and a ton of other HORRIBLE ideas continue to happen. These things make "Welcome to the Jungle" on 3rd down (for the 9th straight year) seem like a nice UConn tradition. Traditions start by themselves, they are not forced on you as a fan base. The problem is that they do not try new things to see how it works. Hey, but maybe at Wisconsin they brought in a male cheerleader before the game starts to tell the students their idea to play "Jump Around" going into the fourth and educate them on what to do. I bet they beat that into their fans heads for 4-5 years before the fans finally caught on and began doing it.

Somehow the DJ got planted (or planted himself) right next to the ABC microphones Saturday and it was cringe worthy. At first you hoped he passed as a spirited fan getting the crowd hyped. By the 10th time you could tell he was not a fan and it was pretty terrible. By the 50th time you just wanted to mute the TV. It was a low point for the game, if that is even possible considering the actual game results.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think Nostical nailed it.

Reaction Score
If we burn DJ Joey in effigy during pregame, we'll probably fill the house.

Reaction Score
Would love to see some ideas that would give the Rent more of a college football atmosphere. Other than tailgating, the band (and ok, the spirit squad I guess), there isn't much. Guess with an off-campus facility it's tough to compensate.

The DJ's gotta go. He has his moments, but the idea is ridiculous. Welcome to the Jungle on 3rd down still pumps the crowd up just fine, but let's not turn the whole game into a cheap rock concert.

Reaction Score
"If I were Manuel, I'd turn the idea spigot on full blast and entertain suggestions from the fans. Like Dooley, K-Gun and many others on this board, there are lots of smart people with good ideas. Some better than others but so what. As RFK once said, "Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not."[/quote]

There in lies the problem. It starts at the top with the decision makers and none seem to care about the issues you bring up. Outside of the DJ and pre-game cheerleader, has anything changed since the Rent opened in regards to gameday experience or stadium (outside building that big draw in Cabela's). Are Manuel and others asking themselves how to get fans to the game, how to get fans in their seats, etc., which also includes BBall. They can't even sell out Gampel which is "small" in bigtime basketball standards and in the middle of campus. It doesn't seem so because NOTHING has changed and their PR/Marketing team is pathetic.

Reaction Score
I'm sick of a deteriorating level of interest in UConn athletics. I've yet to hear the reasons why. For a program that likes to tout its success, we are slowly bleeding to death. What needs to be addressed first and foremost by the AD and others are the reasons for the decline in both interest and attendance at football (and basketball). This examination must occur at both the macro and micro level. The macro level examines the big issues:

Is it economics? Are folks simply too strapped to allocate precious resources to attend these games? Here's a question to test the theory: If there was a sufficiently advertised promotion that next year's first home game would be "absolutely free", would every seat be filled?

Is it cultural? Is the DNA of our New England region somehow so different from our Mid-West and Southern brethren that a "natural" fervor and frenzy are not possible here? If the answer is yes, are there promotions that could produce an "artificial" fervor---something that could incentivize fans to be in their seats by kickoff, "waving towels as the team runs out of the tunnel"?

Is it the product on the field? Is it the coaching staff? Is it the lack of outreach? Is it the media? Is it personality driven? Is it a lack of star power. Or Is it a major failure to sell the sizzle that often turns a sub-prime chewy steak into filet-mignon.

Once we answer the macro questions, we need to brainstorm the micro. That's the "devil is in the details" part. Example: Would extending tailgate hours result in a different dynamic and stadium atmosphere? if so, how do you deal with State or Town regulations or ordinances that may be impediments? How would parking, security and clean up crews be affected, and how do they get compensated? And on and on.

If I were Manuel, I'd turn the idea spigot on full blast and entertain suggestions from the fans. Like Dooley, K-Gun and many others on this board, there are lots of smart people with good ideas. Some better than others but so what. As RFK once said, "Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not."

In my brief email to WM regarding the state of the program - I asked that he consider convening a formal focus group process of ticketholders and other other stakeholders to discuss the current and future game-day experiance and program outreach. I focused it on football but referenced baseball and basketball as well. Polite response back... we'll see.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I am sure the DJ is scripted...he doesn't have the liberty to pump up the crowd when he wants. I am sure he has his game schedule handed to him upon arrival, with the occasional nod to get the crowd going on 3rd Down or during key moments.

Entirely possible, the game production while improved greatly over the past two years. Still has a ways to go.

At least the commercials played over TD celebrations has stopped. And the PC Richard whistle is gone.

The FanFest as steadily improved.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member