Things I am sick of as a UCONN fan | The Boneyard

Things I am sick of as a UCONN fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am sick of an offensive coordinator whose stated strategy for winning games is great defense.

I am sick of a head coach whose philosophy with running backs is to only have one guy carry the ball the entire season. Nobody does this except Paul Pasqualoni.

I am sick of a head coach who doesn’t believe in taking a knee at the end of a victory or at the end of the half. Again nobody does this except Paul Pasqualoni.

I am sick of rooting for the only team in major college football that has their offensive line coach up in the booth during games. God what a stupid, season wrecking decision that was.

I am sick of watching a coaching staff the does not seem capable of making any positive half time adjustments.

I am sick of zone blocking, but worse than that, I am really sick of a coaching staff that can’t recognize that what they are teaching is failing and absolutely refuses to try a different approach until the season is lost.

I am sick of an AD who thinks a football coach needs more than two years to prove himself but the basketball coach must prove himself in 6 months.

I am sick of the fans being taken for granted. If you abuse them you will lose them and we are. A consensus opinion of a passionate fan base should not be ignored or taken lightly.

I am sick of the approach that things will get better if we are just patient. None of the things I am sick of can be solved with patience, they can only be solved with change.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I am sick of the Dog Pound DJ. I was at the game with a recent Penn State grad. He said he felt like he was at a minor league baseball game.

Edit: I'm tired of all the other gimmicky UConn tried to ram down our throats.

I'm sick of the 'Best student section in the country' that's said every game. Shut up please.

I'm sick of adult fans getting more excited about a $5 tee shirt than watching FBS football or Big East hoops.

I'm sick of the half assed U-C-O-N-N chant after TDs. Do it once and do it right.

I'm sick of pushing the 'Blue-White' chant. It's stupid, please stop doing it.

Most of all, I'm sick of the moronic Dog Pound DJ drowning out the Big Red UUUU-CCC-OOO-NNN-NNN UCONN UCONN UCONN chant at basketball games. The only thing that has any bit of tradition gets drowned out by some balloon knot blasting generic stadium music.

You know, HFD, love him or hate him (I'm a fan) would turn this athletic department around in ways that don't require any spending at all. Nobody at UConn has any vision at all for enhancing the fan experience.

I'm sick of as I'm writing this my blood pressure rising because I feel just hopeless as a fan and that the people in charge are so incredibly clueless that there will never be any chance in sight.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I am sick of the Dog Pound DJ. I was at the game with a recent Penn State grad. He said he felt like he was at a minor league baseball game.

I HATE the DJ. I really hate the "come on Rentschler Field, let's get loud!" encouragements on 3rd down. The PSU alum is right...it feels very minor league. I really hope they do away with that piece for the Michigan game. UConn needs to put its best foot forward that day and turning a football stadium into a dance club is not exactly B1G-time material.

Reaction Score
Amen, I'm sick of all the same things. Our athletic department is clueless.

Reaction Score
I'm sick of as I'm writing this my blood pressure rising because I feel just hopeless as a fan and that the people in charge are so incredibly clueless that there will never be any chance in sight.

this

Reaction Score
The sad thing about this whol sandwich we're in, is that as an Alum, my Degrees have never been move valuable with the way Uconn has climbed to national prominence from an academic standpoint. That being said, I have NEVER felt less pride in my alma mater, as the leadership of this State, University, and Athletic Department has sucked every last ounce of energy from me. It's an absolute pathetic state of affairs that we are spiraling at a time that couldn't be more critical in the history of our University.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I mean you can't really bash the DJ. He is employed by the AD. He's just doing his job.

And he posts on here sometimes so its not really fair to destroy him.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
I mean you can't really bash the DJ. He is employed by the AD. He's just doing his job.

And he posts on here sometimes so its not really fair to destroy him.

Sure I can. He is awful.

Reaction Score
I am sick of people who don't come and root in person (I need this because of the next line).
I am sick of people who get into the Rent late and those who leave early.
I am sick of Blue/White. If we have to do this how about U and Conn??
I am sick of 1st down runs up the middle. Everyoe know what we are doing.
I am sick of hand-offs when we should take a knee (again yesterday at the end of the first half)
I am sick of GDL, Warde and PP.

I am ok with the DJ, provided we limit his exposure. The students like it. However, it's too much on 3rd down, but better than the keys. There are also times when the band should be front and center, but we go DJ.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sure I can. He is awful.

He doesn't quite get it. He has the opportunity to pump up the crowd at key moments using music. There was a very nice organic moment when Living on a Prayer was played, cut off by the next play, continued by the students leading (in my view) directly to a touchdown. Find more of these.

As for the PSU alum. PSU uses PA music in the manner I described. They use the band too. They just have a tighter game plan in how the PA should be used.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
The DJ doesn't bother me. The fact that over 100 teams had better offense than us for two straight years bothers me.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm sick of the idea that what has been wrong with our football program the past two seasons is the talent.

Reaction Score
The DJ sucks. The music selection sucks and misses the audience demographic entirely. DJ Dog$hit stumbled onto livin on a prayer and almost lit the place up, but never thought to go back to it in the 4th Q . The whole street speak thing is just trash. No class, no tradition just bush league. The whole atmosphere was great for the first 5-7 years and then we started adding crap music, DJs, fire and flames. I guess it fits with the bush league status this program is headed to.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I HATE the DJ. I really hate the "come on Rentschler Field, let's get loud!" encouragements on 3rd down. The PSU alum is right...it feels very minor league. I really hope they do away with that piece for the Michigan game. UConn needs to put its best foot forward that day and turning a football stadium into a dance club is not exactly B1G-time material.

That 3rd down DJ/'welcome to the jungle' is so played out, so lame - man i dislike it.

Reaction Score
Im sick of seeing our coaching staff give one rb all the carries, we didnt even do that with Donald Brown in his 2,000 yard season

Im sick of seeing MAC teams not only beat us but make better progress as a program in recruiting, coaching up their players, and making better coaching hires and are prepared to hire the next HC when the FHC leaves to go elsewhere

Im sick our our coaches not taking any responsibility and blaming it on the players and lack of talent (no one is asking for miracles here just to beat teams that you should, 8-4 I guess was too much to ask with our schedule)

Im sick of seeing our Atheltic Department being small time and making excuses for it

Im sick of fans who leave early constantly (yesterday was understandable)

Reaction Score
He doesn't quite get it. He has the opportunity to pump up the crowd at key moments using music. There was a very nice organic moment when Living on a Prayer was played, cut off by the next play, continued by the students leading (in my view) directly to a touchdown. Find more of these.

As for the PSU alum. PSU uses PA music in the manner I described. They use the band too. They just have a tighter game plan in how the PA should be used.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I am sure the DJ is scripted...he doesn't have the liberty to pump up the crowd when he wants. I am sure he has his game schedule handed to him upon arrival, with the occasional nod to get the crowd going on 3rd Down or during key moments.

Reaction Score
I'm sick of receivers who can't catch and qbs who can't hit open receivers. Oh and wildcat.

Reaction Score
I'm sick of a deteriorating level of interest in UConn athletics. I've yet to hear the reasons why. For a program that likes to tout its success, we are slowly bleeding to death. What needs to be addressed first and foremost by the AD and others are the reasons for the decline in both interest and attendance at football (and basketball). This examination must occur at both the macro and micro level. The macro level examines the big issues:

Is it economics? Are folks simply too strapped to allocate precious resources to attend these games? Here's a question to test the theory: If there was a sufficiently advertised promotion that next year's first home game would be "absolutely free", would every seat be filled?

Is it cultural? Is the DNA of our New England region somehow so different from our Mid-West and Southern brethren that a "natural" fervor and frenzy are not possible here? If the answer is yes, are there promotions that could produce an "artificial" fervor---something that could incentivize fans to be in their seats by kickoff, "waving towels as the team runs out of the tunnel"?

Is it the product on the field? Is it the coaching staff? Is it the lack of outreach? Is it the media? Is it personality driven? Is it a lack of star power. Or Is it a major failure to sell the sizzle that often turns a sub-prime chewy steak into filet-mignon.

Once we answer the macro questions, we need to brainstorm the micro. That's the "devil is in the details" part. Example: Would extending tailgate hours result in a different dynamic and stadium atmosphere? if so, how do you deal with State or Town regulations or ordinances that may be impediments? How would parking, security and clean up crews be affected, and how do they get compensated? And on and on.

If I were Manuel, I'd turn the idea spigot on full blast and entertain suggestions from the fans. Like Dooley, K-Gun and many others on this board, there are lots of smart people with good ideas. Some better than others but so what. As RFK once said, "Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not."

Reaction Score
This is a great post. How do you capitalize on the idea spigot?

Does UConn ever run any Fan Forums or Fan "Town Hall" type meetings? We see so many good ideas here, you would think that a great deal of the people from the boneyard would attend.

I'm sick of a deteriorating level of interest in UConn athletics. I've yet to hear the reasons why. For a program that likes to tout its success, we are slowly bleeding to death. What needs to be addressed first and foremost by the AD and others are the reasons for the decline in both interest and attendance at football (and basketball). This examination must occur at both the macro and micro level. The macro level examines the big issues:

Is it economics? Are folks simply too strapped to allocate precious resources to attend these games? Here's a question to test the theory: If there was a sufficiently advertised promotion that next year's first home game would be "absolutely free", would every seat be filled?

Is it cultural? Is the DNA of our New England region somehow so different from our Mid-West and Southern brethren that a "natural" fervor and frenzy are not possible here? If the answer is yes, are there promotions that could produce an "artificial" fervor---something that could incentivize fans to be in their seats by kickoff, "waving towels as the team runs out of the tunnel"?

Is it the product on the field? Is it the coaching staff? Is it the lack of outreach? Is it the media? Is it personality driven? Is it a lack of star power. Or Is it a major failure to sell the sizzle that often turns a sub-prime chewy steak into filet-mignon.

Once we answer the macro questions, we need to brainstorm the micro. That's the "devil is in the details" part. Example: Would extending tailgate hours result in a different dynamic and stadium atmosphere? if so, how do you deal with State or Town regulations or ordinances that may be impediments? How would parking, security and clean up crews be affected, and how do they get compensated? And on and on.

If I were Manuel, I'd turn the idea spigot on full blast and entertain suggestions from the fans. Like Dooley, K-Gun and many others on this board, there are lots of smart people with good ideas. Some better than others but so what. As RFK once said, "Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not."

Reaction Score
This is a great post. How do you capitalize on the idea spigot?

Does UConn ever run any Fan Forums or Fan "Town Hall" type meetings? We see so many good ideas here, you would think that a great deal of the people from the boneyard would attend.

I sent a letter to the AD some time ago regarding this same issue. I referenced what Pres Herbst did when she first came to Uconn by allowing for individual to make appointments with her to discuss ideas they had to make improvements to Uconn. No response........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom