Thieves in Blue lot | The Boneyard

Thieves in Blue lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The loss wasn't bad enough, but we returned to find three coolers had been taken by some scumbags, Jimmy Bennett's dad lost one, myself, and my friend who had never been to the Rent before. Nice welcome. Hurts more when it is your own people doing this sort of thing.

I am sure folks want to know how my son felt after the fumble. He felt pretty bad, he was trying to make it to the end zone, took his arm off the ball to stiff arm one guy, never saw the other two defenders. He will learn, he knows better. Almost always happens when you are trying to get those extra yards. Both hands on the ball son.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear about your cooler loss, there are bad elements everywhere it seems.

As far as the fumble goes, its part of the game, nothing the young man should hang his head about, put it behind him and look toward next weekend.

Reaction Score
I heard about a few tailgating grills and canopies being stolen as well. I always make sure to lock up everything when we are done. We shouldn't have to, but its the world we live in today.

Reaction Score
We've had coolers, tables, chairs, food, you name it stolen from our truck. Now we take an SUV so everything is locked up.

A learning moment for Ryan, I know he will bounce back in a big way.

Reaction Score
We've had coolers, tables, chairs, food, you name it stolen from our truck. Now we take an SUV so everything is locked up.

A learning moment for Ryan, I know he will bounce back in a big way.

Mistakes are a part of life. All any of us can hope to do is learn from them.

So if you were hanging out with Jimmy Bennett's dad, does Bennett hope to be back to play next year? Or does he intend to graduate and move on?

Reaction Score
Mistakes are a part of life. All any of us can hope to do is learn from them.

So if you were hanging out with Jimmy Bennett's dad, does Bennett hope to be back to play next year? Or does he intend to graduate and move on?
BL, didn't discuss it, really. Tough on him and his folks, the kid worked so hard.
I hope he sticks with it, but couldn't fault him if he didn't.
I rehabbed one knee, never mind two. Not fun.
Gotta think about being able to chase your kids around later in life, or throw them a ball, more important than this game.

Reaction Score
Dishonest people in every walk of live, in every town, in every country in the world. I had a bike seat stolen in Burlington, Vermont, of all places, earlier this year. And that's supposed to be a real cozy, friendly-type place. Bad eggs everywhere. Sorry to hear about it.

As far as your son goes... like others have said, we all make mistakes. I just hope it doesn't wear on him. It's tough to compete week in and week out, and the loss hardly falls on his shoulders. Plenty of responsibility to go around.

Each week is another chance to turn it around and learn from your mistakes.

Reaction Score
Portable grills, coolers, even food and drink out of coolers being stolen by jerk*ffs is not uncommon unfortunately, at Rentschler and at other venues for football games. I've had coolers, grills, propane, everything taken at one time or another over the years, at stadiums (stadia?) all over. It seems the first time you get careless and leave something out in plain view, it's gone. What's more troubling, is when something gets taken right out of the bed of your truck. The only thing you can do is make sure you lock everything down and cover everything and make it as difficult as possible for somebody to walk up to your vehicle, and walk away with something.

What would be most, MOST troubling would be to find out that UConn students or anyone affiliated with the university were responsible. The only thing we can do is police ourselves.

There was an afternoon game a few years ago, when I saw a group of what had to be drunken students roaming and rummaging in the parking lots - my youngest son at the time, wasn't making it all the way through the game, so we left early, and I was very close to taking a tire iron out my truck and running those idiots down after I approached them. They were wearing blue. Jerks had the gumption to think I was the one doing something wrong approaching them to find out what the hell they were doing moving from truck to truck and looking in the beds. Pissed me off royally. I can handle punks that have nothing better to do but create trouble, but if it's your own students, that's simply unacceptable, and if I had my way, no student responsible for something like this would ever be allowed back to the stadium.

Any students reading this board. Families, friends, especially young kids at the stadium that don't understand why some people in the world are a=holes, people that want to enjoy their saturday at the stadium - Their days get ruined when they come back tot heir vehicles and find their belongings have been raided.

This is NOT cool. Anybody seen doing this, or anyone that knows that others are out there doing it, should be reported immeidately to security, or to a proper authority on campus, whether it be on game day or not. Take pictures. Everybody's got a camera on their phones today.

I'm very sorry for your friend's experience at his first game day. I unfortunately know all too well what it's like to have this happen.

And - yes - tell the boy to cover the ball!! that single mistake didn't cost the game, but it sure as hell would have helped!!

Next week.

Reaction Score
This bothers me so much (the crime in the parking lots, not the fumble). Is there any security ? How hard would it be for state police to set up a sting and nail some of these jerks ? I've had beer stolen in the past, and also had a flagpole snapped in half.

Imagine how the guy felt who'd never been to a game before at the Rent. Wondering how likely he is to come back. Certainly not going to be singing UConn's high praises.

I have no plans on giving up my season tickets, but with the prices we're charging (parking, concessions, etc), I wouldn't expect our fanbase to grow when their property is at risk while they are enjoying the game...

Reaction Score
There's only about a bazillion EH cops doing traffic and a gazillion sp roaming around the stadium. One new guy walking around would probably curb most of that. That being said, everyone just lock your stuff up and most of the problems disappear. I hate to have to do it, I'd rather be all trusting, but yep, bad eggs everywhere. Please report it to the school and complain about the security. (don't bother with the pd). Never know, I am fairly certain that the school has the pull to put some badges in the lots. They're writing their OT checks, after all. Matter of fact, I'll write an email about my concerns right now. I'm sure they'd love to hear from all of you how they can make the rent more fan friendly.

Paul.Pendergast@uconn.edu
Susan.herbst@uconn.edu

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I am sure folks want to know how my son felt after the fumble. He felt pretty bad, he was trying to make it to the end zone, took his arm off the ball to stiff arm one guy, never saw the other two defenders. He will learn, he knows better. Almost always happens when you are trying to get those extra yards. Both hands on the ball son.

Your son played really well besides that. Seems like JMac is getting really comfortable with him.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Same here, had a Fire and Ice grill/cooler combo stolen a couple of years ago... sucks. I had left it outside the car because it was soaking wet. I remember during a tour of the Rent they said that it becomes the 3rd largest city in the state on game days... can't keep out all the bad eggs, but a few more heads patrolling the lots would be welcome.

I'm sure your son feels bad but I keep thinking of that scene from Good Will Hunting.... It's not your fault, son.

Reaction Score
Same here, had a Fire and Ice grill/cooler combo stolen a couple of years ago... sucks. I had left it outside the car because it was soaking wet. I remember during a tour of the Rent they said that it becomes the 3rd largest city in the state on game days... can't keep out all the bad eggs, but a few more heads patrolling the lots would be welcome.

I'm sure your son feels bad but I keep thinking of that scene from Good Will Hunting.... It's not your fault, son.

Huh? That's in Nebraska. The Rent on game day doesn't come anywhere near being the third largest city in our state.

Reaction Score
The loss wasn't bad enough, but we returned to find three coolers had been taken by some scumbags, Jimmy Bennett's dad lost one, myself, and my friend who had never been to the Rent before. Nice welcome. Hurts more when it is your own people doing this sort of thing.

Thanks for the heads up and for checking in about the game. New season starts this week. You puyt it behind you and make the best of your preparation for the next challenge. I tell my daughter whether it's a soccer game or a test: You prepared, you studied - so don't give away the easy ones. You deserve to succeed. We both still screw up occasionally anyway.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Huh? That's in Nebraska. The Rent on game day doesn't come anywhere near being the third largest city in our state.
I may have flubbed it slightly - They may have said that East Hartford becomes the 3rd largest city in the state on game days. Fans, staff, support personnel, etc. Memory is going. :)

Reaction Score

His fumble is not why we lost the game. It's usually never one play. (as a Giants fan I'd like to blame Matt Dodge for last year, but even that is not the case). We are happy he is a Husky. I believe we would have eventually lost in OT as the D was not going to to stop MSU.

As for the coolers, that sucks, but it may not be anyone who came to the game. I've learned to put everything back in the car after a grill was taken from from a nearby truck 2 years ago. During the game Saturday there were about 15+ kids in section 206, all drunk, who never ever watched the game. Very frustrating and we had to move. Why come to the game and pay $8 a beer. Stay home.

Reaction Score
His fumble is not why we lost the game. It's usually never one play. (as a Giants fan I'd like to blame Matt Dodge for last year, but even that is not the case). We are happy he is a Husky. I believe we would have eventually lost in OT as the D was not going to to stop WMU*.

Reaction Score
There's only about a bazillion EH cops doing traffic and a gazillion sp roaming around the stadium. One new guy walking around would probably curb most of that. That being said, everyone just lock your stuff up and most of the problems disappear. I hate to have to do it, I'd rather be all trusting, but yep, bad eggs everywhere. Please report it to the school and complain about the security. (don't bother with the pd). Never know, I am fairly certain that the school has the pull to put some badges in the lots. They're writing their OT checks, after all. Matter of fact, I'll write an email about my concerns right now. I'm sure they'd love to hear from all of you how they can make the rent more fan friendly.

Paul.Pendergast@uconn.edu
Susan.herbst@uconn.edu

That was quick:

Many thanks - I will alert our Chief. All best - Susan

Susan Herbst
President
University of Connecticut

On Oct 3, 2011, at 10:40 AM, "

> Ma'am, a situation was brought to my attention this morning regarding security in the parking lots at rentschler field. There were several thefts of food, beverages, tents, etc. I'd like to take the time to voice my concern about the lack of security in the parking lots. I understand petty theft is not a priority at the games, but the overall fan experience is significantly degraded when such things occur. My suggestion is to perhaps reassign a couple police officers to walk the lots. Even a cursory "show of force", if you will, would go a long way toward stemming such things. Thank you for your time and patience.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Can't help but be impressed. I'm sure she's got a lot going on, but that's great of her to respond so quickly.

Reaction Score

In all honesty, I feel better about the fumble knowing it was just a case of him not holding onto the football. Sure, it was at a crucial point in the game, but everyone fumbles at some point or another. However, after viewing replays, I had been under the impression that he was trying to call a timeout while holding onto the football, but before he was down. That would be a mental error, and I would find it hard to forgive it at such a critical moment no matter what the excuse. But this fumble, though costly, is not horrendous. 31 points should have been more than enough to beat Western Michigan. And 38 would have only sent it into OT where there's no guarantee we'd have won anyway. Let's just try to turn it around against West Virginia.

With regards to the cooler, that sucks. But what makes you think it was definitely a UConn fan? Perhaps some Western Michigan fan knew of your connection to the team (or at the very least could tell you were a big UConn fan for some reason) And I'm sure many of them made the road trip to see their team face the Big East champs. So just saying.... It wouldn't surprise me if one of them did it. Doesn't make it right, and if it was a targeted act then it would probably be even worse regardless of reason, but it might not be "one of us".

Reaction Score
In all honesty, I feel better about the fumble knowing it was just a case of him not holding onto the football. Sure, it was at a crucial point in the game, but everyone fumbles at some point or another. However, after viewing replays, I had been under the impression that he was trying to call a timeout while holding onto the football, but before he was down. That would be a mental error, and I would find it hard to forgive it at such a critical moment no matter what the excuse. But this fumble, though costly, is not horrendous. 31 points should have been more than enough to beat Western Michigan. And 38 would have only sent it into OT where there's no guarantee we'd have won anyway. Let's just try to turn it around against West Virginia.

With regards to the cooler, that sucks. But what makes you think it was definitely a UConn fan? Perhaps some Western Michigan fan knew of your connection to the team (or at the very least could tell you were a big UConn fan for some reason) And I'm sure many of them made the road trip to see their team face the Big East champs. So just saying.... It wouldn't surprise me if one of them did it. Doesn't make it right, and if it was a targeted act then it would probably be even worse regardless of reason, but it might not be "one of us".
I think there was like 8 WMU fans.

Reaction Score

Please stop it. There weren't 50 WMU fans at the game. And they didn't make the trip to leave an exciting game early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom