They Shall Not Grow Old | The Boneyard

They Shall Not Grow Old

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

It’s in wide release now.

It’s just remarkable on about a hundred different levels.

As a technological exercise, it’s very impressive. Colorizing and then adapting century-old film to modern frame rates makes it more relatable. The choppy, almost comic look of footage from that era is smoothed out and instantly becomes somber.

More importantly, the source material is haunting. The only footage you see is the archival footage shot by the British in World War I. The only people you hear are the British soldiers who did the fighting being interviewed many years later. When they go up the ladders to run across no-man’s land towards the German trenches, it’s the real thing and most of them are at the very end of their time.

Just go see it.

Reaction Score
Indeed. Heard nothing but great things. By all accounts, a must see.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Will this be released in US DVD format?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
My HS Freshman son wanted to see it so we went last night. Everything Fishy says is spot on. The impressiveness of the video fixing process is tempered by the clearer horrors it shows. Those muddy trenches were worse than I knew.
We went to Plainville and watched in Imax 3-D. Not sure how much the 3-D added to it, but definitely worth seeing it on the big screen.

Reaction Score
My HS Freshman son wanted to see it so we went last night. Everything Fishy says is spot on. The impressiveness of the video fixing process is tempered by the clearer horrors it shows. Those muddy trenches were worse than I knew.
We went to Plainville and watched in Imax 3-D. Not sure how much the 3-D added to it, but definitely worth seeing it on the big screen.
Was it ok in terms of not traumatizing for your son? Mine is 14, struggling with reality of life & death with some recent losses - I'm torn between thinking it'd be good for him in a 'gather ye rosebuds' way or bad in that it'd be too much and haunting. Need to break thru the suburban malaise though...

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Was it ok in terms of not traumatizing for your son? Mine is 14, struggling with reality of life & death with some recent losses - I'm torn between thinking it'd be good for him in a 'gather ye rosebuds' way or bad in that it'd be too much and haunting. Need to break thru the suburban malaise though...
It was no issue for my son, but he loves military stuff and surely has seen worse. The worst stuff they show relates to life in the trenches, like cases of trench foot and guys doing their bodily business, all in still pictures, not video. He may have nightmares of British oral health from those days, but bottom line I think it would be fine. But given your recent losses, you're the ultimate judge on his psyche, maturity and ability to handle.
My condolences on your losses. We also had a bad year where we lost both my parents a few years ago and my son struggled a bit and even had a bout of depression. We did end up having him talk to a doctor a little bit. Doing well now.

Reaction Score
It was no issue for my son, but he loves military stuff and surely has seen worse. The worst stuff they show relates to life in the trenches, like cases of trench foot and guys doing their bodily business, all in still pictures, not video. He may have nightmares of British oral health from those days, but bottom line I think it would be fine. But given your recent losses, you're the ultimate judge on his psyche, maturity and ability to handle.
My condolences on your losses. We also had a bad year where we lost both my parents a few years ago and my son struggled a bit and even had a bout of depression. We did end up having him talk to a doctor a little bit. Doing well now.
Thanks, similar stuff over the years including recently the labrador that had been with him/us since before his birth. Sorry about your parents as well. Maturing to a reckoning with the reality of the world is part of every stage of life.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

There are many clips of dead soldiers and it's not an easy thing to watch. The colorization does add something of a comic book effect at times that mitigates it somewhat.

I took our 15-year old daughter and she was fine.

Take that with a grain of salt - for better or worse, we share a personality.

If you're worried about your son's reaction, no harm in waiting.

Reaction Score
I took our 15-year old daughter and she was fine.

Take that with a grain of salt - for better or worse, we share a personality.
Funny how that works, huh. My 19 year old daughter - same thing.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

It’s in wide release now.

It’s just remarkable on about a hundred different levels.

As a technological exercise, it’s very impressive. Colorizing and then adapting century-old film to modern frame rates makes it more relatable. The choppy, almost comic look of footage from that era is smoothed out and instantly becomes somber.

More importantly, the source material is haunting. The only footage you see is the archival footage shot by the British in World War I. The only people you hear are the British soldiers who did the fighting being interviewed many years later. When they go up the ladders to run across no-man’s land towards the German trenches, it’s the real thing and most of them are at the very end of their time.

Just go see it.

Looks like they did some lip reading and add sound as well. Looks very interesting and compelling.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Looks like they did some lip reading and add sound as well. Looks very interesting and compelling.

They did.

Reaction Score
They did.
There is a segment after the actual film hosted by Peter Jackson, in which he discusses how they transformed the 100 year old film, and the editing choices (no sea, air, home front, ally footage). I think it was quite interesting, and I'd recommend people stay in their seats for the extra 30 minutes.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is a segment after the actual film hosted by Peter Jackson, in which he discusses how they transformed the 100 year old film, and the editing choices (no sea, air, home front, ally footage). I think it was quite interesting, and I'd recommend people stay in their seats for the extra 30 minutes.

Absolutely.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Have not seen it yet, but absolutely will. My wife and 15 year old daughter are very eager to see it. They are both history buffs, and they told me our family vacation this year is to Normandy and major historic sites and battlefields of WWI and WWII. I am not worried about any trauma.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is the 3D necessary for this? Thinking of seeing it tomorrow but 2D showings and locations much more convenient.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Have not seen it yet, but absolutely will. My wife and 15 year old daughter are very eager to see it. They are both history buffs, and they told me our family vacation this year is to Normandy and major historic sites and battlefields of WWI and WWII. I am not worried about any trauma.
history buffs you say? u'll luv this. garunteed. 8 episodes, aboot 7 hours, and ONLY onna big screen. 'nuff said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom