They Raise The Issue To Debunk It | The Boneyard

They Raise The Issue To Debunk It

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And because it sells newspapers and clicks. Here is the second of two articles the Courant published today which have Paige smack dab in the middle. Doris Burke was asked if she is better as a freshman than Diane etc. Doris ducked it by changing the question.

“I’m not going there, that she’s better than any of those players. She’s got a long way to go and a lot to prove, as well as she’s played,” Burke said. “It’s been tremendously enjoyable in the limited opportunities I’ve had [to see her].”

But Burke added: “The young woman is clearly special. And special is not always about basketball ability. It has to go beyond that, you have to bring a level of intellect for the game, and a level of grit and mental toughness. And the one thing that stands out about her is the fearlessness and the refusal to accept ‘Oh, I might be struggling tonight.’ That doesn’t enter her mind. That has the makings of sort of the special nature of her predecessors for sure.”

The second "article" is a poll the Courant invites you to participate. Best UConn freshman ever. Poll is open until Wednesday midnight.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Yeah, not going there either. I enjoyed each of the predecessors, in their day. Now, I will enjoy Paige and the other freshmen as they play each game and be thankful that they are here now.

Reaction Score
To some, Doris Burke is a great commentator. To others, she is simply not their "Cup of Tea" - Either you love her or you hate her.

1613343822361.png

Reaction Score
I for one really really miss Dave O'Brien and Doris Burke. I also miss Megan working with Eric. These four both know the game of basketball and UCONN WB. Hard to listen to some of the announcers now, it just seems to me that some think I only watch the game so I can listen to them. Oh for the old days.

Reaction Score
Dori is very good but sometimes gets too much in love with the sound of her own voice. I would rate her second after the incomparable Kara Lawson who imo, is the best women’s announcer ever.

Reaction Score
This thread also changing over to announcers? How many threads does this make?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Doris probably has a shrine to Taurasi in her house. She is never going to move her off the top pedestal.

Reaction Score
My take is this., The reason we talk about Uconn greats like DT and Maya is because of what they achieved over the totality of their college careers. Trying to carve out the earliest parts of those bodies of work, because Paige is still only part way through her freshman year, seems silly to me. There will be plenty of time to compare and contrast Paige once her career is more complete, and I look forward to doing so. Until then, I will continue to enjoy her exploits in a Husky uniform to the fullest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will end the discussion. Paige is playing better overall basketball her freshman year than ANY college basketball player has played in the history of Womens' Basketball. Time to just say it!
Sorry, topogigio. Paige is playing incredibly well. However, to say she's playing better overall basketball than any women's college basketball player ever is a bit of an exaggeration. According to you she's better than Cheryl Miller, Jackie Stiles, Kelsey Plum, Breanna Stewart, Maya Moore, Jennifer Azzi, Cynthia Cooper, Sheryl Swoopes, Candace Parker, Diana Taurasi, Sabrina Ionescu and Chamique Holdsclaw. I could have named other players, but I'm making a point.

Reaction Score
Sorry, topogigio. Paige is playing incredibly well. However, to say she's playing better overall basketball than any women's college basketball player ever is a bit of an exaggeration. According to you she's better than Cheryl Miller, Jackie Stiles, Kelsey Plum, Breanna Stewart, Maya Moore, Jennifer Azzi, Cynthia Cooper, Sheryl Swoopes, Candace Parker, Diana Taurasi, Sabrina Ionescu and Chamique Holdsclaw. I could have named other players, but I'm making a point.
I specifically said, "her freshman year". Add Carol Blazejowski, (mid 70's) who was better scorer than all you listed above. I refer to "overall basketball" as the complete package; floor leader, ball handler, scorer, passer, rebounder, basketball IQ as a frosh. Agree to disagree, but I stand by my assessment.

arch

Reaction Score
.........she's better than Cheryl Miller, Jackie Stiles, Kelsey Plum, Breanna Stewart, Maya Moore, Jennifer Azzi, Cynthia Cooper, Sheryl Swoopes, Candace Parker, Diana Taurasi, Sabrina Ionescu and Chamique Holdsclaw.
Agreed

Reaction Score
I specifically said, "her freshman year". Add Carol Blazejowski, (mid 70's) who was better scorer than all you listed above. I refer to "overall basketball" as the complete package; floor leader, ball handler, scorer, passer, rebounder, basketball IQ as a frosh. Agree to disagree, but I stand by my assessment.
Sorry, but you worded your post wrong. Also, I don't agree. How about Anne Meyers, Nancy Lieberman, Anne Donovan. I could keep on going.

Reaction Score
How about against SC when Paige went for a block on a 3-point shot as the clock ran down? If the player had made the shot and hit the free throw, it would have gone to a 2nd OT. She should have just let her shoot. A win by one or four points is still the same.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom