They need to each shoot 1,000 free throws a day for each one they miss in game. | The Boneyard

They need to each shoot 1,000 free throws a day for each one they miss in game.

Reaction Score
Free throws almost cost them this game. Did cost them the Creighton game. Practice makes perfect. Start shootin fellas. Nice Win but hit your free throws.
Obvious but I wonder what Hurley has planned for this? We won a National Championship with a team that did that so well with Bazz. Who coaches that?

Reaction Score
Regarding free throws, Cole needs to soften up his shot and stop the line drives or he'll never hit the upper 80% area. So....change the trajectory!
Same with T. Martin. I suspect many Huskies had tired legs
that caused so many FT misses.

Reaction Score
Interesting stat in the box. 5 guys shot 50% from the line for that game. Only Cole was over at 66%.

Reaction Score
I've been surprised at Tyrese's poor FT shooting so far, but I don't think it is an issue of mechanics or ability. Based on the missed bunnies and FTs it looks like a mental thing. He has good mechanics and shoots well- no reason that won't translate to FTs in the long run. Once it does, watch out, because his style of play should get him to the line a lot

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
My main concern before the season started was figuring out the guy who will consistently knock down free throws when ahead by 2-3 points with 30 seconds to go while the other team is fouling. It's still my main concern.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Obvious but I wonder what Hurley has planned for this? We won a National Championship with a team that did that so well with Bazz. Who coaches that?
LOL you just reminded me of the game against Kentucky when Calipari did not foul our guards at the end of the game in an obvious foul situation. When asked by the media why he didn't he said because "those guys don't miss". It's another way to dishearten an opponent. "Free throws win games"

Reaction Score
The best way to learn to shoot FTs is to shoot 2-10 FTs right after really tough drills in practice. Replicates the game situation better. Especially at this point in the season where any mechanical changes that might increase % are going to hurt more than help in the short-term.

Not to say that bulk shooting isn't a good thing. Just a thought.

Reaction Score
Obviously, we should have been better from the line last night - no one would argue otherwise. But part of that is simply getting our better shooters to the line more often - we really want Gaffney, Whaley, Polley, and Bouk (when he returns) etc to be shooting more FTs. So yes, we need to improve on our weaknesses, but let's also try to maximize our strengths.

Reaction Score
I've been surprised at Tyrese's poor FT shooting so far, but I don't think it is an issue of mechanics or ability. Based on the missed bunnies and FTs it looks like a mental thing. He has good mechanics and shoots well- no reason that won't translate to FTs in the long run. Once it does, watch out, because his style of play should get him to the line a lot
He shot 65% on 122 attempts at URI, he's 60% so far at UConn. Wouldn't expect any massive improvement at the free throw line

Reaction Score
As your proficiency in FT% increases/improves.. Your confidence shooting from the field is almost always positively impacted.. Seeing the ball go in the bucket..

Pretty sure DH/staff have this as one of things at the top of the list for improvements over the next week or so prior to St Johns game.. They're seeing the same thing that the BY is..

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
News flash: 1-2 from the line ain’t good. This cost us once and is gonna cost us again if it isn’t fixed. Quick.
When has FT shooting ever been "fixed, quick" besides never? I'm not worried about it. Perhaps they could bring back the Glenn Miller FT drills?

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Making free throws aren't usually the way to win a game (unless you shoot 90% as a team through the tournament) but missing free throws is the quickest way to lose a game.
Well said. I’m pretty that 2014 team missed like a half dozen FTs all tournament

Reaction Score
Sorry I watch this team shoot FTs and I'm afraid they are just streaky there period. There will be good games and there will be these games just need to play better and turn it over less when that happens.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
it feels like we are, and will be, around 70% at the line. what if we were much worse, say closer to 60%? let's take a look back:
'Offensively, they were great at 3-point shooting (40.2%) and offensive rebounding (40.8 rebounding percentage) and they won the national championship despite shooting just 62.3 percent from the free throw line (315th nationally) and forcing turnovers on just 16.6 percent of opponents' offensive possessions (322nd nationally).'
when a few have a particularly bad game at the line, that's a 'them' thing.
when everyone has a particularly bad game at the line, that's a 'no' thing.
stuff happens. prolly just bad airline food, or mebbe too much lorde playing in the locker room.
as of this moment, deepall is:
around 2nd in league for 3 pt makes %.
around 2nd in league for 3 pt makes defense %.
who cares? they still stink on ice. fun with stats, and then there is truth.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
LOL you just reminded me of the game against Kentucky when Calipari did not foul our guards at the end of the game in an obvious foul situation. When asked by the media why he didn't he said because "those guys don't miss". It's another way to dishearten an opponent. "Free throws win games"
I remember that and was amazed he would say it out loud. I mean, maybe UConn would have a bad night at the line? Maybe the pressure of the final four would make them nervous? Would have been furious if I was a Kentucky fan. He waved the white flag when they still had a small chance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom