These Refs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

These Refs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
This shouldn't be news. We're in a garbage conference that includes garbage basketball officiating. Brimah's 4th was particularly awful.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The point isn't whether they are good or bad.
The point is that the incessant b1tching about the refs is something that should be left to inferior programs, not UConn.

Get off your high horse, dude. We're in this conference so we can complain about the officials, it's that simple. This has nothing to do with our program's legacy and what we are ALLOWED to bitch about. This is an online forum with some of our program's most die-hard fans... don't tell us what we can and can't b!tch about, you don't act as the program's moral authority.

As a side note, stop trying to be such a holier-than-thou contrarian poster. Even your username reeks of it... 'Cheeky'. It's like you made the name and now you're trying your best to carry out some self-fulfulling prophesy.

Your act is really getting old.

Reaction Score
There is no agenda going on here. The referees are as a group simply a lot worse than we had in the big east. I have never seen the moving screen call as much as it has this year. In the big East they didn't make the ticky tack calls and they were much more consist with their calls.. It was a conference that allowed the players to play which often help the physical teams like Pittsburgh succeed during the season although not so well in the post season when they got games called by non big east refs. These refs are part of a group that refs that do games in various conferences. I wish the league would address this problem. I think more fouls have been called on UConn than their opponent in every road game this year. Its not like Uconn is a big physical team or an aggressive defensive team. In every game there is at least one mystery call on Brimah ( sometimes two). All this would strongly suggest that the referees are influence by the home town crowd ( see the SMU game where the ball clearly went off of a SMU player out of bounds and Larry brown got the refs to change the call) . That speaks to the quality of the referees. Its just another disappointing aspect of our new conference.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I never thought I'd actually MISS Jim Burr. SMH

The AAC refs have been bad in both directions. UConn is obviously part of that, but they are just very inconsistent. Id be fine if they were just consistent about it.

Reaction Score
We all miss Jim burr because as much as we disliked him he was vastly superior to the referees that we are now getting at our games.

Reaction Score
The point isn't whether they are good or bad.
The point is that the incessant b1tching about the refs is something that should be left to inferior programs, not UConn.

I think the point (of an online forum for us UConn basketball freaks) is to share our opinions of what we watch or hear of our team...

The team gets routinely awful officiating, so I'm going to talk about it... Simple as that. If you think these refs are reading this forum and continue to call our side miserably because of it, you're flat out insane

what other rules for what is considered a fine talking point do you have? Should recruits who arent leaning our way never be spoken of, should former rivals never be brought up? Opposing teams' players troubles with the law? Where do you draw the line?

Reaction Score
I'm just watching the game now. I had to go out tonight but recorded the game. No one seems to be using the "ref's s*ck!" card as to why things aren't going UConn's way, so I don't know what the h*ll your comment is about anything having to do with being left to inferior programs. The point is as much as we bitched about a handful of bad officials back in the days when we were in the big bad big east, all in all, the officiating was solid and we got some of the best in the business. Not only does it seem we're relegated to a second rate conference, we're not getting the top officials and many flat out s*ck!

There were some calls and non-calls tonight that were flat out horrible. Not only did Brimah not foul on the forth one that was called against him, he was two handed punk-ass shoved under the basket that was so obvious and not called. If he's not shoved he's right there to get the offensive rebound and jam that sucker back in. Instead he had to get back into the play to go for the rebound and still had inside position and did not initiate any contact to what I saw. Shortly before that, one of ECU's guards runs over and flattens Boatright who had ever right to the space he was occupying. It wasn't like he moved into the path of the ECU player. The guy simply blew him up like he was a free-safety being run over by a running back. I could go on and on about some fouls that just weren't there and some that weren't called. The officiating is no doubt 2nd rate in most of the AAC games I've watched and is making the AAC product not a very good one to watch.

Now I'm not implying that we've lost many games due to the officials. Granted it's had an impact, but it's mostly taking away from the entertainment value of these games. I wish on so many levels we could get into on of the P5 conferences, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

I'm exactly on your side. I don't think the refs walk in saying "no way we let UConn win this one", and our team has played awfully, even when we play well theres so many bonehead errors that you just shake your head at. The refs are not THE reason we're having an awful season, they're the reason that we're having THIS awful a season though, because I feel like a few of these rough losses we would have edged out with a few more calls our way and maybe one or two less awful calls against us.

In most games, you can watch the other team set moving pick after moving pick, shove our guys who have boxed them out on a rebound and this doesnt get whistled until a player egregiously does it. They called one on the big white guy early on last night and everybody freaked out, but he handed the ball off with Omar right next to him, and as he hands it off, takes an extra step 2 feet out to stop Omar who is literally about to collide with him... obvious moving pick.

To me, in these games that become utterly frustrating, the refs allow the other team to get jabs and shoves in but the minute our guy has a hand on a hip its a foul, sometimes the whistle comes before theres any contact! Its just so frustrating to watch at times, 10x more so when its a game we narrowly lose

Reaction Score
You should try watching other games instead of just UConn games. Refs are finding every excuse to hand games to Duke & Kentucky. Even when they play poorly, when it's close, refs give them the calls in their favor. If you haven't noticed 4 of 5 college basketball stories this year need to mention them & potential draft status, deserving or not. Go to ESPN, CBS Sports, heck Zags blog, Duke & Kentucky... It's all there. Maybe you don't see agenda, I do.

Yeah but you wear a tin-foil hat.

I watch plenty of college basketball. The notion that there's an "agenda" being furthered through officiating is straight up whackadoo nonsense. That you can get other people on the internet to agree with you doesn't change that. Kentucky's 28-0 because the refs are "handing them" games? Please stop.

Reaction Score
Deep down, I think a few of them are actually toying with Jimmy, knowing he's watching and boiling over while Ollie puts on his hurt puppy dawg face (talk about two extremes)

I bet Jimmy's probably distracted by the blowjob you're giving him while he watches the game. I mean, good lord, does your wife know you're so obsessed with Calhoun?

Reaction Score
Yeah but you wear a tin-foil hat.

I watch plenty of college basketball. The notion that there's an "agenda" being furthered through officiating is straight up whackadoo nonsense. That you can get other people on the internet to agree with you doesn't change that. Kentucky's 28-0 because the refs are "handing them" games? Please stop.

I hear ya on Kentucky but I agree Duke has been handed the more positive side of the refereeing in their games for years. Whether the fear of the clout K has or whatever, it's no doubt true. Not necessarily an "agenda" but favoritism no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom