These Refs | The Boneyard

These Refs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Brimah took the frustration out on that last block. Guimette climbs right over Brimah's back to tip away the rebound.

Reaction Score
We have been getting jobbed by the refs all year long. This game tonight was called terribly on both sides but I'm really getting sick of the overall trend. 3/5 fouls on Brimah were questionable at best and if you take him out of games we are absolutely duck***. Even Boat who is a well known national champion senior gets no calls.

Reaction Score
Oh. My. God.
Can we please - pretty please with sugar on top -- ban these REF threads? Every single game there is a least one thread b1tching about the REFS.

STOP!

Reaction Score
You think the refs are good? I think they are awful.
The point isn't whether they are good or bad.
The point is that the incessant b1tching about the refs is something that should be left to inferior programs, not UConn.

Reaction Score
Oh. My. God.
Can we please - pretty please with sugar on top -- ban these REF threads? Every single game there is a least one thread b1tching about the REFS.

STOP!
when u see a rainbow u mention the rainbow..when u see a car accident u talk about the accident ..when u see a fire u discuss the fire..etc - you cant tell me that you like the jobs these refs are doing can you? when u watch a game full of crappy calls ..u mention it..simple

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The point is that the incessant b1tching about the refs is something that should be left to inferior programs, not UConn.

That's why you have to make sure to start these threads on games where UConn wins. Bitching about refs after a loss is so beneath UConn.

Bitching during and after a win? That's what champions do.

Reaction Score
Oh. My. God.

STOP!

Good Grief! You need to stop. You're like the guy who reads the box score & accepts it. Too bad you can't watch a game objectively.

Apparently it's not ok for Brimah to stand still with his arms up but accept another ticky tack foul, but it's not a foul when say Jahil Okafor tackles a guy to the ground or forces a forearm into their back without a foul. On offense, Okafor can bulldoze over a defender, but if Brimah shifts his off arm towards a defender, it's a charge/hook. Games are not called evenly this year. There's an obvious agenda this year.

Next time you watch a game, watch the plays objectively , not what the zebras whistle. Take the blinders off or just go root for Puke or KenSucky if you want preferred treatment.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
no because we're not saying they have cause us to lose(except the duke game) but that they are completely awful both ways but uconn ends up with the end of the stick more than the opposing teams

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

I'd rather read a thread about the bad officiating than another one bemoaning the AAC. At least the ref threads have some degree of variation to them based on what they up any given day.

Reaction Score
First off, college refs are not very good when compared to NBA refs. And high school refs in general are awful. There is a clear pecking order. I will say that watching AAC games this year and last year it's pretty clear that the AAC does not get the best refs in college basketball. I'd say in general we saw better reffing in the Big East. Such is life in a lower conference.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We have been getting jobbed by the refs all year long. This game tonight was called terribly on both sides but I'm really getting sick of the overall trend. 3/5 fouls on Brimah were questionable at best and if you take him out of games we are absolutely duck***. Even Boat who is a well known national champion senior gets no calls.
Oh. My. God.

STOP!

The refs just plain suck.
If you don't like the thread don't read it
When you opened it what the heck did you think it was about?
Everything you contribute doesn't have "sugar on top"

Reaction Score
There's an obvious agenda this year.

What's the agenda? Did the officials sit down and say "let's make Okafor, the first pick in next year's draft, look really good and let's do whatever we can to make Amida Brimah look bad."

Reaction Score
What's the agenda? Did the officials sit down and say "let's make Okafor, the first pick in next year's draft, look really good and let's do whatever we can to make Amida Brimah look bad."

You should try watching other games instead of just UConn games. Refs are finding every excuse to hand games to Duke & Kentucky. Even when they play poorly, when it's close, refs give them the calls in their favor. If you haven't noticed 4 of 5 college basketball stories this year need to mention them & potential draft status, deserving or not. Go to ESPN, CBS Sports, heck Zags blog, Duke & Kentucky... It's all there. Maybe you don't see agenda, I do.

Reaction Score
I'm just watching the game now. I had to go out tonight but recorded the game. No one seems to be using the "ref's s*ck!" card as to why things aren't going UConn's way, so I don't know what the h*ll your comment is about anything having to do with being left to inferior programs. The point is as much as we bitched about a handful of bad officials back in the days when we were in the big bad big east, all in all, the officiating was solid and we got some of the best in the business. Not only does it seem we're relegated to a second rate conference, we're not getting the top officials and many flat out s*ck!

There were some calls and non-calls tonight that were flat out horrible. Not only did Brimah not foul on the forth one that was called against him, he was two handed punk-ass shoved under the basket that was so obvious and not called. If he's not shoved he's right there to get the offensive rebound and jam that sucker back in. Instead he had to get back into the play to go for the rebound and still had inside position and did not initiate any contact to what I saw. Shortly before that, one of ECU's guards runs over and flattens Boatright who had ever right to the space he was occupying. It wasn't like he moved into the path of the ECU player. The guy simply blew him up like he was a free-safety being run over by a running back. I could go on and on about some fouls that just weren't there and some that weren't called. The officiating is no doubt 2nd rate in most of the AAC games I've watched and is making the AAC product not a very good one to watch.

Now I'm not implying that we've lost many games due to the officials. Granted it's had an impact, but it's mostly taking away from the entertainment value of these games. I wish on so many levels we could get into on of the P5 conferences, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Reaction Score
The fact that external factors (home crowd, score, foul differential, etc.) improperly influence officiating in college basketball has been studied and empirically proven. This really isn't controversial stuff.

See
Anderson & Pierce, Officiating Bias: The Effect of Foul Differential on Foul Calls in NCAA Basketball (2009) http://home.kelley.iupui.edu/kyjander/Officiating paper - Final draft version.pdf

The AAC officials are undeniably worse than the old Big East officials. So it's not surprising that we now have more bad calls going against us on a nightly basis -- particularly on the road. What is surprising is just how much more often we seem to be on the short end of the officiating stick in conference play. I assume the transition from Calhoun (who was a master at working the refs) to Ollie (who has shown comparatively little interest in doing so) accounts for this.

The solution is better officials who are immune to the failings of human nature. Barring that, Ollie really needs to do a bit more to shine the spotlight on bad calls that go against us. Other coaches do this and it has an effect. It doesn't get the immediate bad call changed, of course, but it influences the course of future calls (which is just as good).

Reaction Score
Brimah's 1st, 4th and 5th fouls were not fouls. Actually, #4 should have been a foul in the other direction.

Agree on 1 and 4 but the 5th, while not really much, is just plain stupid. Needing him in the game and ahead, no need to even be close enough to allow them to find a reason - get the fk out. He just needs to be smarter, plain and simple.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
collectively the worst group of officials in the history of college basketball

mystery calls are the rule, not the exception. Inconsistency, just plain horrible. And Ollie sits there looking sad, letting it him.

They're imagining Brimah committing fouls when getting dressed before the game, and Ollie doesn't do anything about it.

Deep down, I think a few of them are actually toying with Jimmy, knowing he's watching and boiling over while Ollie puts on his hurt puppy dawg face (talk about two extremes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom