There are some truly dreadful teams in the American... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

There are some truly dreadful teams in the American...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One thing that's odd about the AAC is that the level of the men's BB teams is WAY higher, overall, than that of the women's teams. Not really sure what to make of that, other than a commentary on the relatively greater parity of the men's game.

The recruiting pool is so much deeper.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You know, I really had hopes that last year was the start of overall improvement in the AAC. Central Florida was a plucky opponent last year. South Florida is always tough. Temple looked good and improved as the year went on. We saw UConn play SMU in Dallas and SMU was not awful at all. largely because of Alicia Froling, whose game I love, and who (according to a poster above) has yet to play this year. She is the heart and soul of a team that has not a lot else to offer.

Now this. ECU is a nightmare. Tulsa seems always to be Tulsa, as Memphis seems to always be Memphis. Huston seems no better. Cincy has all that support from its administration, which tucked the team into a high school gym, as I recall. I'm sure that did wonders for morale. I saw Tulane play an early game on TV and they were, um, not good.

I had hoped that the presence of UConn would cause administrations to realize what their women's basketball teams could become, and would provide an opportunity for investment in personnel and recruiting. I've been wrong. This league is the top three and a bunch of mid-majors.

Looking at the ACC from a WCBB fan's perspective, you're correct. Looking at it from the men's side, gives you a totally different view. While the UConn women have totally dominated conference play since the league's inception, the same cannot be said of their men's team. SMU, Cincinnati & Houston are the best teams on the men's side in basketball. UConn finished 9-9 in conference play (middle of the pack).

In football, UConn is a bottom feeder at 1-6. UCF, USF & Temple are the teams wearing the LARGE size underwear. :cool: So it just depends on the prism you're looking through when observing the AAC as to what you will see.

Reaction Score

Just curious, does Geno have an assistant he has been grooming to possibly take over after he retires? I think that he would want to choose his successor to continue in his footsteps.

I know that is still some years into the future, but have people here given that much thought?
Although his assistants have no doubt been well groomed for future head coaching positions, it is generally not the outgoing coach’s prerogative to choose his own successor.

Since it IS the prerogative of fans to speculate and recommend, I choose Jen Rizzotti!

Reaction Score
Although his assistants have no doubt been well groomed for future head coaching positions, it is generally not the outgoing coach’s prerogative to choose his own successor.

An AD would be a fool to not have Geno intimately involved in choosing his successor.

The goal is not just find a quality coach, but someone who can continue the UConn tradition that Geno built. Becomes a lot harder to continue the legacy by excluding the person who is most responsible for it.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score

Since it IS the prerogative of fans to speculate and recommend, I choose Jen Rizzotti!

Thanks.

I know sometimes football teams have an assistant who is named a "coach in waiting," who then replaces the HC upon his retirement. For example, that is what happened at FSU when long time HC Bobby Bowden chose Jimbo Fisher. It made for a smooth transition. Of course, I presume that was done with the blessing of the FSU AD.

Considering that Geno has that same kind of stature in WBB, it wouldn't surprise me to see it played out that way down the road.

Reaction Score
. . . I'll put it this way, if Nevada were to join the AAC, they would be down at the bottom of the conference rankings with Memphis and the newcomer Wichita State. . .

Actually, they have already beaten SMU, so they might be closer to middle of the pack in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Cinci had a 9 point lead entering the 4th quarter, but lost to St Francis PA 77-73

This is supposed to be a down year for Xavier, so I had hopes that maybe Cinci would finally win the
battle of Cincinnati this year, but increasingly it looks like the same old same old for the Bearcats.

I have to hope that maybe somehow Jamelle can sign a Kerry Bascom type of player that the
bigger programs have overlooked, and thereby jump start her program to long term success.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Why Rizzotti? She has had a marginal career as a head coach. If his successor comes from his coaching tree then Ralph would be the obvious choice. Not only did she play for him, but she has spent the last 10 years or so learning from him - something that Rizzotti does not have on her resume. If it is not to be Ralph then it will be someone outside the UConn family.

When the time comes Auriemma will have a very big role in the selection process.

Reaction Score
It is an absolute miracle and a tribute to Geno, CD, Shea, and Marisa that recruiting has had almost zero drop off since joining this league.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It is an absolute miracle and a tribute to Geno, CD, Shea, and Marisa that recruiting has had almost zero drop off since joining this league.
Almost? In light of recent successes, I would argue none.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As an example of a "product" that doesn't even need to be in a conference, all you need to do is look at Notre Dame football. No matter who the coach has been, the team is in no conference, and not only survives, but thrives.

Yes, ND FB is a special animal. Alumni, endowments, etc etc. But my point is that as a "product", it's pretty clear that UCONN WBB is immune to conference affiliations. Our recruiting is as good as ever in spite of our unfortunate conference.

There are other schools similar. Look at all the bad publicity Duke, for example, has garnered over the past several years, yet they remain in the top 25 and continue to recruit top kids. We hoped (most of us) that Tenn would fall off the face of the earth without Pat. I hardly think kids go there because they are in the SEC. And Holly is an average coach at best. But in spite of all that, they continue to recruit well.

Schools like ND, Duke, Tenn, and others, are different animals. I have no doubt there will be a drop off when Geno leaves, but for now, he's not going anywhere, and maybe the UCONN brand is so strong that it will survive, and even thrive, after Geno is gone...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Fair enough, but did you actually look at the standings of the "worst" teams in the P5 conferences? I'm guessing not...
  1. ACC - UVA at 3-4, Wake 2-4
  2. Big 12 - Oklahoma 3-2, TTU 3-2
  3. B10 - Illinois - 5-3, Wisconsin 3-3
  4. Pac 12 - Arizona and Washington both 2-3
  5. SEC - LSU 3-3, Vandy 1-6
So basically, it's not even close. Many of the bottom 2 teams in every single power conference have at least a .500 or winning record (5 out of 12 teams). Only 1 team is off to a 1-6 start, while the American's bottom 3 are 2-4, 1-6 and 1-6.
Not sure where this thread is going. Looked at most of the conferences in US and cant see one where there would be much more competition for UConn.
Alaska Anchorage is D2.

"The bottom of the conference is dreadful like any other conference." lol. He listed SEVEN of the 12 teams. And he didn't say Houston & Cinci were good -- merely that they had scheduled well so far.

The AAC is a dumpster fire in wcbb. Trying to deny it is silly.
Not sure where this thread is going. With the possible exception of the PAC12 and BIG12, don't see another conference that would provide a measurably different level of competition for Women's basketball. Not a good match for UConn is so many ways.

Reaction Score
Why Rizzotti? She has had a marginal career as a head coach. If his successor comes from his coaching tree then Ralph would be the obvious choice. Not only did she play for him, but she has spent the last 10 years or so learning from him - something that Rizzotti does not have on her resume. If it is not to be Ralph then it will be someone outside the UConn family.

When the time comes Auriemma will have a very big role in the selection process.
Jen has multiple head coaching positions on her resume, at schools without the resources and recruiting draw of UConn. If you’ve ever been a manager you know that being the boss takes learning, and some of that can’t be learned until you’re a boss. There is some struggle involved with that, and Jen already has that behind her.

Agree GA may have a significant role, but he won’t, and shouldn’t, be the decider.

Reaction Score
Not sure where this thread is going. Looked at most of the conferences in US and cant see one where there would be much more competition for UConn.

Have you been to the eye doctor lately?

All of the P5 conferences are much stronger than the AAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom