There absolutely no response to this. | The Boneyard

There absolutely no response to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The first time I posted it. I mean really no comment?

All BE performers, 1st and 2nd team selections in the years after the ACC raid.

Year .....UC ....CI.... LV.... RU ....SU.... WV.... PT ....SF
2011 ........9 .....8 ......3.... ..8.... ...6 ........10 .......6.... 6
2010....... 7..... 7 .......6 ......1 ........7 ........11 .......7 .....7
2009...... 7..... 11.... ..1 ......3 ........4 ........9 ......14 .....6
2008...... 6 ....10.... ..6 ......5 ........3 ........9 ......6 ......6
2007 ......4 .....7 .......6...... 7 ........5........10......10..... 6
2006...... 2 .....6 ......11 .....14 .......3 ........9 .......5..... 3
2005 ......4 .....2 ......9 ......6.... .....3....... 12......8 ......6

The totals break down like this WVU-70, Pitt-56, Cinny-51, RU -44, UL-42, SF-40, UConn-39, SU-31.

One thing is for sure. When Rutgers talks about its superior talent they are demonstrably wrong. All those ABE selections in 2006 are gone. And we have had more ABE in each of the last four years.​

Reaction Score
Remember, also, that the all-conference picks are made by men, influenced by publicity, and therefore there is some bias (which I don't think you can quantify) that favors highly recruited kids and more tradition-rich schools. Which simply means that you should assume that the gap between, say, Pitt players who have deserved to be all-league and UConn players who have deserved to be all-league is less than what Palatine's numbers show.

Two conclusions jump out at me. First, that this chart shows why we have the most balanced, even top to bottom and unpredictable league among the BCS leagues. Because there is not the huge, every year talent differential that other leagues see.

Second, as it relates to UConn specifically (and I believe I am making the point here that Palatine hopes will be made) despite the fact that the recruiting services have shown a material "talent gap" between what is being recruited into UConn and what is being recruited into other league members, the all-league picks, judging players by what they do on the field, shows a talent gap that isn't really material between UConn and any league member not named WVU. Speaking only for myself, it seem to show what I have been saying for years: that, without saying it is not mportant and useful to recruit players who are "show ponies" on the recruiting sites (because I think it is important to a degree), we have recruited players far closer to those that our peers have recruited than the services have ever given us credit for. And, while it doessn't show in the recruiting rankings, we have recruited more top Big East level players over time than we did when we joined the league.

Reaction Score
Yep, I do believe it washes away the we can't compete because of the talent disparity. I acknowledge that an all conference QB makes a bigger difference than an all conference offensive tackle. But there is other interesting stuff in here as well.

One very interesting thing to me, it the trend. Compare our trend with USF. Much is made of USF's recruiting area versus ours. But it looks like they haven't taken much advantage of it.

Reaction Score
Really? It was a transition year Wing, you've got to be patient.
I'm usually patient. I've been called all sorts of names for defending 8-5 results with fewer all conference players.

I think P will be fine, possibly better than the former coach. But he did a job this year. There were some mind numbing decisions made throughout the season in terms of game management.

With 9 all conference players we should at least get 6 wins. WMU, Vanderbuilt, and Cincy were all lost due to coaching decisions IMO.

Reaction Score
I understand 5-7 isn't good enough for a lot of you. Guess what, it's not for me either. But try a little harder to find things to critique.

There were very few instances in 2011 when we had no chance of winning a game, and both coaches and players made mistakes that led up to losing those games. Coaches and players also did a hell of alot to win those other games. That's football. My only complaint is that the coaching staff seemed to open up the playbooks way too deep in the beginning. A little bit simpler in the beginning, and we very might well be on the other side of .500 and still practicing.

You guys are looking at the 2011 season with tunnel vision though. When you look at what usually happens in transition years in high level football, we had a pretty darn good year, and just came up short, too often, to reach the post season, but we were in position to compete to reach goals, from game 1 to game 12.

I don't think you'll find a single player on the 2011 roster, that was happy with the overall outcome of 2011 season. I don't think you'd find a player that would have wanted anythign else but to wear that uniform and compete for their teammates and their coaches week in and week out, and doesn't have it gnawing at them when they failed to make somethign good happen to help the team. I think you'll find a class of outgoing seniors that is happy to have been part of this 2011 team that was different from what they had the past few years.

No - I'm not happy with 5-7. I hate losing more than anything, just go back and read some of the stuff I've written over the course of the year.

We have a losing season next year though, then I"ll have a more to start to break down. I doubt it. For now, you guys are just reaching for things to bitch about as far as I'm concerned.

The future is very bright. I'm looking forward, not back. I"ve reflected on what's happened already, and I think we had the opportunity to make the post season, on many occasions through 2011, but fell short. All the more motivation to get back after it in recruiting and then spring training, and then next season, to get right back to where we belong.

Reaction Score
We could have won more games this season, but I would not call the job the staff did this season "pathetic". I saw enough things this season for me to be optimistic about the direction of this team. I am seeing things with regards to recruiting that I am optimistic about.

I can see what Pasqualoni, DeLeone and Brown are trying to do. They have a plan. They have a purpose. If they can get the players they need to run their systems effectively, I think we have a chance to be very good.

Reaction Score
There is a fairly large gap between the staff did a "good" job and the staff did a "pathetic" job. I am fairly confident the answer lies somewhere in between.

Do I think the staff did a "good" job taking this team to 5-7. Nope. On the other hand, a lot of the underperformance, in my mind, was due to trying to take the team forward more quickly than the way which would have led to an optimium amount of wins this year. And, to be fair, you have to see if the team is a lot further along next year to judge the strategy.

If they are, you can't call this year's performance "pathetic." (Well, you can call it whatever you want, but it wouldn't be fair to.)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The story of the 2011 season will be that it blew too many games it should have won. It had enough talent to expect better results. Whether it was the fault of the players, coaches, or the circumstances surrounding this season, the program underperformed.

We can make all the excuses we like, but to me, 2011 will always be a disappointment. I look forward to better things next year.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Just trying to be fair.

It was an incredibly disappointing season.

Whether you want to call it sub-par, below average, poor, piss poor, pathetic, etc. doesn't matter to me.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
It just confuses me that most people thought 7-5 or 8-4 was the best case scenario this year and then a couple close losses as a result of trying to do to much new stuff early flips it to 5-7 and people want to jump off the deep end. That's not necessarily directed at you WingU but just the general sentiment from before the season and what we saw as a result of our final record.

Reaction Score
56 1st and 2nd team BE slots seems like a lot in 2011. So the average BE team would get 7 on the all league team. Uconn at 3-4 seems having 9 seems a little is high for a less than 50% record, while last year at 5-2 seems low having 7. Maybe should have a poll for the worst starters in the league, see how that offsets having the best, extra minus points for worse QB.
Keep in mind this is the BE where if WV loses in bowl game probably have no teams ranked in top 25 for second year in a row. How many of these 56 are 1st day NFL talent?
Two teams with 1-6 records in league had 6 each on BE teams while league champion Louisville had only 3. Must be more to talent levels on teams than BE 1st and 2nd team talent per these voters, maybe voters remembered Floyd Little when voting for Syracuse players and were swayed by the long history for Fruit success to over rate their players.
On the Coaches All American team of 22 no BE players; on the AP 3 team all american of the 66 there was 1 2nd team player from Cin. Recruiting services have been saying Uconn and the entire league doesn't recruit top talent, seems this year end all american voting says the same, NFL draft to be heard from next.
Of the 66 AP 3 team all americans; all were from AQ conferences (BE had 1) except - Boise 2, Houston 2, Marshall, San Diego State, West Kentucky, W Michigan, TCU. So if 2014 BE was today, BE would have not 1 but 6 of the top 66 players in country. Still not enough, but much better showing.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The team won at least 29% fewer games than the reasonably light projections for a team coming off a BCS bowl with so many returning starters in a weak conference, all mitigating circumstances factored in.

That a 5-7 season is cause for disappointment, is consistent with the FBS business we've chosen. In the other conferences, 5-7 gets you on the hot seat for next season, complete with for sale signs for your lawn and a website dedicated to you next career move.

I think our fan base is handling it just right.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I think in August 2010 if you looked ahead and projected offensive starters for the 2011 season, they would have included Cody Endres, Robbie Frey, Erik Kuraczea and Mike Smith. Those were all losses. The defense losing Blidi for 5 games hurt as well. This year's team could have been better but don't lay it all on the coaching staff. There were several factors at work.

Reaction Score
Yep, I do believe it washes away the we can't compete because of the talent disparity. I acknowledge that an all conference QB makes a bigger difference than an all conference offensive tackle. But there is other interesting stuff in here as well.

One very interesting thing to me, it the trend. Compare our trend with USF. Much is made of USF's recruiting area versus ours. But it looks like they haven't taken much advantage of it.

That and when you are the fourth biggest program in the territory, it doesn't much matter what territory you are in.

But I am so glad we have San Diego State now. That should really help us get a foot in the door with SoCal recruits.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can you please stop. You've gone over the edge. There were few instances where they had no chance of winning the game BECAUSE THE SCHEDULE WAS PATHETIC.

How could it possibly be a reach to bitch.... they lost at home to Western Michigan, handed away a game at Vanderbilt and when the BCS bid was still on the line the team never came out of the locker room against Louisville. Yeah, that's a reach to complain about. Home game with league still on line - no show... WHAT A REACH! They didn't show up against Louisville because the coaches opened up the playbook too early in the season!

I understand 5-7 isn't good enough for a lot of you. Guess what, it's not for me either. But try a little harder to find things to critique.

There were very few instances in 2011 when we had no chance of winning a game, and both coaches and players made mistakes that led up to losing those games. Coaches and players also did a hell of alot to win those other games. That's football. My only complaint is that the coaching staff seemed to open up the playbooks way too deep in the beginning. A little bit simpler in the beginning, and we very might well be on the other side of .500 and still practicing.

You guys are looking at the 2011 season with tunnel vision though. When you look at what usually happens in transition years in high level football, we had a pretty darn good year, and just came up short, too often, to reach the post season, but we were in position to compete to reach goals, from game 1 to game 12.

I don't think you'll find a single player on the 2011 roster, that was happy with the overall outcome of 2011 season. I don't think you'd find a player that would have wanted anythign else but to wear that uniform and compete for their teammates and their coaches week in and week out, and doesn't have it gnawing at them when they failed to make somethign good happen to help the team. I think you'll find a class of outgoing seniors that is happy to have been part of this 2011 team that was different from what they had the past few years.

No - I'm not happy with 5-7. I hate losing more than anything, just go back and read some of the stuff I've written over the course of the year.

We have a losing season next year though, then I"ll have a more to start to break down. I doubt it. For now, you guys are just reaching for things to bitch about as far as I'm concerned.

The future is very bright. I'm looking forward, not back. I"ve reflected on what's happened already, and I think we had the opportunity to make the post season, on many occasions through 2011, but fell short. All the more motivation to get back after it in recruiting and then spring training, and then next season, to get right back to where we belong.

Reaction Score
I think WMU, Vandy, and Iowa State were better than expected, but the schedule still wasn't a murderer's row.

With Coach P, we are still in the Edsall-esque cycle of things. For every marginal failure someone will counter withan equally marginal success. But there is nothing absolutely excellent to point to.

I think beating SU and RU in the same season is pretty much the only thing we can hang our hats on.

Even if we go 7-5 next season, it would be hard to definitively say we are heading in the right direction.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We had no quarterback D-1 ready QB on the roster. That's a tough nut to crack. And IIRC, folks were saying that they didn't think UConn would win any conference games this year. Needs are being addressed, the coaching staff seems to be hustling out on the trail. I'm going to give this group another year.

Reaction Score
I think WMU, Vandy, and Iowa State were better than expected, but the schedule still wasn't a murderer's row.

With Coach P, we are still in the Edsall-esque cycle of things. For every marginal failure someone will counter withan equally marginal success. But there is nothing absolutely excellent to point to.

I think beating SU and RU in the same season is pretty much the only thing we can hang our hats on.

Even if we go 7-5 next season, it would be hard to definitively say we are heading in the right direction.
Fair and balanced post. There were some major coaching flubs this year with the Vandy game being the biggest.

Difference on this board so far is that when the previous coached up a game like RU last year we had the the apologist camp saying he played that game right, running it on third and nine. (not all of them).

What this program needs is a break out year. Not an 8-4, back our way into a BCS bid year, but a break out year where we crack the top 25 after a 5-0, start and stay there the majority of the season. An 11-1, 10-2, type season. I was convinced we would never get there with the last coach. We need the buzz that comes with that. Admittedly, I don't know if we will ever get there with P. As far as the previous staff, the car was pointed in the right direction, but it was stuck in neutral. (I know we went to the Fiesta Bowl).

Overall i liked the approach on offense. We didn't have a workhorse tailback returning in the mold of Brown, Dixon, or Todman. Our QB that was most ready to play was a walk on with a limited skill set to compete at this level, specifically when it came to his footwork/speed in resetting his feet when forced to move.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
WMU, Vandy and Iowa State might have been a shade better than expected. The league schedule was worse than expected though.

Reaction Score
WMU, Vandy and Iowa State might have been a shade better than expected. The league schedule was worse than expected though.

Actually I would say the league schedule was tougher than expected. We had three 5-2 teams and two 4-3 teams.

Reaction Score
The thing that will always stand out in my mind about the 2011 season will be McEntee having the ball taken out of his hands in the end zone for a defensive touchdown. That typified what was wrong with the 2011 Huskies..... no BCS caliber quarterback. They struggled all year putting more than 3 points at a time on the board and it didn't help that Shoemate was a no show AGAIN! I believe we have the best coaching staff in the Big East that was thrown into this thing two weeks before National Signing Day. If Coach Pasqualoni and Deleone can get vast improvement from arguably the most important position on the field(QB), more production in the running game and a reliable replacement for Teggart, I believe Coach Brown won't have as hard a time getting a full four quarters out of the defense. 8-4 next year would be acceptable. 2013 needs to be that breakout year not only for Coach P but for the future of UConn in the BCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom