Theories on recruiting improvement? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Theories on recruiting improvement?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Depends....I can't find a linkage for a NR in Rivals being counted for points at signing. If someone can verify, please link.

If NR's are not adjusted to two stars...then the current ratio of two 3 stars per ten recruits would have to be maintained through twenty recruits (Rivals uses best 20) to maintain average.

Why would you look for a link for that information? It was literally given to you in this thread.

Reaction Score
I think it’s staff continuity. A stable staff is more productive. I also think the exciting schedule and the strong effort by the young guys on the staff is working. Having a national TV deal is also important. But I think it all starts with a young staff that has sharpened their recruiting game over the past couple seasons. They know what they are selling and how to sell it and when to move on when the pitch isn’t going anywhere.
The new TV deal is huge. Going independent was also a big step in the right direction for us. Another factor is players can see that they have a real chance to play as freshmen here. Most P5 schools they will sit the bench for 2 or even 3 years and kids that can really play see the opportunity here and are jumping on it. Another factor is Edsall has always pushed academics much more then most programs. I see most of our recruits are much more academically oriented which is a big plus for us.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The new TV deal is huge. Going independent was also a big step in the right direction for us. Another factor is players can see that they have a real chance to play as freshmen here. Most P5 schools they will sit the bench for 2 or even 3 years and kids that can really play see the opportunity here and are jumping on it. Another factor is Edsall has always pushed academics much more then most programs. I see most of our recruits are much more academically oriented which is a big plus for us.

Going independent was only a step in the right direction if the subsequent TV deal was made. We went independent without a known TV deal.
Although my spidey senses suggest UConn hired some very competent people behind the scenes to verify a good enough TV deal was out there if UConn went independent in football.
It's possible UConn just went all in for BE to save basketball and decided they would figure out football on the fly. I just don't believe that is the most probable path that was taken.

Reaction Score
Why would you look for a link for that information? It was literally given to you in this thread.

Because I did provide a link...that says that Rivals does not provide points to a NR......

And you were attempting to recall what a link might have said a year ago....no linked info means info in doubt when there is a linked info.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Because I did provide a link...that says that Rivals does not provide points to a NR......

And you were attempting to recall what a link might have said a year ago....no linked info means info in doubt when there is a linked info.

Check post #17 from this morning. Rivals gives a 5.2 default rating to any FBS recruit not already rated.

Reaction Score
I think it’s staff continuity. A stable staff is more productive. I also think the exciting schedule and the strong effort by the young guys on the staff is working. Having a national TV deal is also important. But I think it all starts with a young staff that has sharpened their recruiting game over the past couple seasons. They know what they are selling and how to sell it and when to move on when the pitch isn’t going anywhere.

I agree on the young enthusiastic staff that can connect with these kids.

It definitely isn’t the continuity. If you are a recruit and looking for stability the next 4-5 years UCONN is not who you would choose.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I agree on the young enthusiastic staff that can connect with these kids.

It definitely isn’t the continuity. If you are a recruit and looking for stability the next 4-5 years UCONN is not who you would choose.

Regarding Continuity - by that I am referring to the simple fact that this is the first off season without any position coach changes in perhaps 10 years. Every coach is that is reaching out to kids this year did so coaching the same position last year. Every coach that recruited in certain regions and with certain schools in 2019 is doing the same in 2020. Every parent, every HS coach, every guardian and athlete advisor to a recruit is getting the same faces and probably largely the same message. We haven't had too much year over year stability until now. Plus, and this is perhaps underrated, but the staff has a much better idea of what kinds of kids will succeed in UConn's environment academically and the staff has a better idea of what Randy wants - and what will and wont work in general. Better cohesion at multiple levels.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Going independent was only a step in the right direction if the subsequent TV deal was made. We went independent without a known TV deal.
Although my spidey senses suggest UConn hired some very competent people behind the scenes to verify a good enough TV deal was out there if UConn went independent in football.
It's possible UConn just went all in for BE to save basketball and decided they would figure out football on the fly. I just don't believe that is the most probable path that was taken.

They always knew they had the SNY option, which I reported multiple times. The regional aspect of SNY was the killer. SNY could have paid more than CBS and still, they couldn’t offer the same opportunity due to the lack of national exposure.

Reaction Score
I think continuity on the staff along with starting to play an independent schedule is helping. Edsall and co can go in and use the “do you want to show we are world beaters?”

Reaction Score
Looks like Dave Benedict had it right after all. He took a lot of heat for a "crazy" idea when football independence was first announced.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They always knew they had the SNY option, which I reported multiple times. The regional aspect of SNY was the killer. SNY could have paid more than CBS and still, they couldn’t offer the same opportunity due to the lack of national exposure.

Yeah, the SNY was a good piece of leverage. Do you think an SNY package would have been as beneficial as the CBSSN deal in terms of getting recruits from Florida and Texas?

Reaction Score
Yeah, the SNY was a good piece of leverage. Do you think an SNY package would have been as beneficial as the CBSSN deal in terms of getting recruits from Florida and Texas?

Not many in Florida know what SNY is I would wager. Not kids who play football and watch ESPN, ABC...the SEC.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not many in Florida know what SNY is I would wager. Not kids who play football and watch ESPN, ABC...the SEC.

They may not have hear of it, but if it the service is available they would readily start streaming it. If your point is they haven't heard of it and therefore doesn't have the cache of a national stream like CBSSN, fully agree.

Reaction Score
John
I agree and would add we have solid contacts now. I’ve always said it helps to tell a parent if not a kid, that your son will get a good education and when his Playing career is over he will be able to become a productive member of society. Especially big selling point to moms.

Reaction Score
Here is what happened folks...
UConn is a good school academically, has great facilities, good standard of living and proven ability to go to the nfl.

And most importantly, the education is taken care of

If that’s all there is to it, why have we sucked for 10 years?

Reaction Score
Management.

I am telling you, Diaco leveled the place when he came in. Absolutely leveled it behind the scenes. Randy can coach and recruit, knows the landscape, and has still struggled immensely for traction.

Year 4 and it is still gonna be tough.

wisdom

Reaction Score
Diaco did a terrible amount of damage to the program. Hard to imagine one guy could be that bad. I agree with John that Edsall can coach and recruit and evaluate players. But aside from the odd Pasqualoni remainder there was no talent there. This was like going from 1aa to 1a all over again. He has been landing talent and weeding out the guys who really didn’t belong at this level. Given the numbers required that really took 3 years and we are just now getting a full roster of FBS level talent.

I also believe AD Dave knew the situation and Edsall won’t be under pressure until 2021. I think though that we will see some progress this year. Not 8 wins progress. But progress none the less

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom