Their worst Nitemare. | The Boneyard

Their worst Nitemare.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just when everybody thought UConns dynasty was over and Geno was finished then this happened over the past few weeks., Nita, Ana Paige, Evelyn and Westbrook became Huskys. Playing UCONN this season and next everybodys worst NiteMare. With the new additions to UConn, UConn in position to reignite their dynasty when many thought it was over and UConn would not be in position for another FF and NC...well this proves you can never ever take Geno lightly. This also proves just what an unbelievable recruiter and coach Geno is. To put together this team all over again with all this talent again and yes we have a big in ONO and we could use another but as of right now we are in great position to take over the number 1 spot in the polls again. Before this coming season is over UConn will be a very very strong team barring injuries. Just wait til we see who else is coming to UConn over the next few months and I do believe we will have another big and I do believe we will have Azzi Fudd. They dynasty will continue. We will be back where we belong.....

We're going to the TOP....the Very Top .

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Add a nice scouting report by Paige of Aubrey should convince every one she will have a major impact on the team.

Paige’s assessment of Aubrey:

She’s really athletic, a really good on-ball defender,” Bueckers said. “She finishes well, and she’s got a good jump shot. She jumps out of the gym. She’s just really athletic and she does basically everything for the team.”

She’s like 6-foot, but she can play like she’s 6-4,” Bueckers said. “She’s just a really good player.”

Me likey!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just when everybody thought UConns dynasty was over and Geno was finished then this happened over the past few weeks., Nita, Ana Paige, Evelyn and Westbrook became Huskys. Playing UCONN this season and next everybodys worst NiteMare. With the new additions to UConn, UConn in position to reignite their dynasty when many thought it was over and UConn would not be in position for another FF and NC...well this proves you can never ever take Geno lightly. This also proves just what an unbelievable recruiter and coach Geno is. To put together this team all over again with all this talent again and yes we have a big in ONO and we could use another but as of right now we are in great position to take over the number 1 spot in the polls again. Before this coming season is over UConn will be a very very strong team barring injuries. Just wait til we see who else is coming to UConn over the next few months and I do believe we will have another big and I do believe we will have Azzi Fudd. They dynasty will continue. We will be back where we belong.....

Heads up ... Name typo @Tonyc... Anna or Ania (preferred diminutive). And I assume they read the BY, soaking up every scrap that is UConn. I'm not the name police; they aren't nice. Just got your back.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Add a nice scouting report by Paige of Aubrey should convince every one she will have a major impact on the team.

You mean this Buecker's scouting report?

She’s really athletic, a really good on-ball defender,” Bueckers said. “She finishes well, and she’s got a good jump shot. She jumps out of the gym. She’s just really athletic and she does basically everything for the team.”

Griffin’s athleticism is well-documented. Her high school coach posted a video of her on Twitter narrowly missing a dunk at a recent all-star event.

“She’s like 6-foot, but she can play like she’s 6-4,” Bueckers said. “She’s just a really good player.”

Reaction Score
Good job! Good Analysis! I am also looking forward to this coming year. I would expect the focus is going to be to train these folks into becoming a Team. It seems that they all bring very excellent skill sets and once everyone knows what the other can do, they will feed off of each other. We might see tremendous defense including full a full court press that becomes common and a team that causes an inordinate amount of turnovers on the opposition that puts points on the board. This should be fun to watch and very exciting. I really would like to see more successful layup attempts instead of misses and more driving to the basket. Just speaking out loud.

Reaction Score

Maybe Aubrey will play some four next year behind Walker.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Good job! Good Analysis! I am also looking forward to this coming year. I would expect the focus is going to be to train these folks into becoming a Team. It seems that they all bring very excellent skill sets and once everyone knows what the other can do, they will feed off of each other. We might see tremendous defense including full a full court press that becomes common and a team that causes an inordinate amount of turnovers on the opposition that puts points on the board. This should be fun to watch and very exciting. I really would like to see more successful layup attempts instead of misses and more driving to the basket. Just speaking out loud.

I would add that next year's team could be a fast break nightmare for opponents. There is a lot of team speed.

Dribble drive or pull up or dish will depend a lot on what type of defense we face. If 3 point shooting is off or weak, teams will pack the paint. This makes drives to the basket more difficult and subject us to unneeded charging fouls.

Reaction Score

@Tonyc You are a cheerleader that is certain. Nice words about the new guys and towards Geno's recent achievements. Nice.
It is a bit early to re-ignite the dynasty, if there ever really was one. My understanding of dynasties is that happens when the baton is passed to the next generation. Also, it is a bit early, without seeing all the new guys in action to anoint any of them stars or standouts in the Geno system.
You of course are right that the potential is there. We've seen some past years where the incoming have been highly trumpeted only to have them fall flat (no need to list them here).
I doubt Westbrook, Ania, will miss the target, I'm high on Griffin-will Muhl or Adebayo (Evelyn) and now Touly perform as hoped? The test of all of these will begin in November. While I can't wait for Nov. like all I must wait until then to see the proof of your hypothesis..
Still @Tonyc nice cheerleading.. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Very Young @veryolddog. I suspect what most like you suspect, Uconn will be a pressing full court defensive team. In the distant past that was Geno's bread and butter. If the team can't get the ball up the court even with 6 bigs those bigs won't be of much help.
CW and a bit by Walker this past year were 2 that attacked the basket. I think Geno would have like CW to do that more often at least in crunchier times. So, Not so old, I agree with your assumptions that Uconn will be a full court defensive team that shoots the 3 and drives at the basket-- a tripple threat--we shall se what we shall see..

Reaction Score
B
Maybe Aubrey will play some four next year behind Walker.
Behind or in front? If the kid is a Gabby leaper (as reported) how ya gona a keep em down on the floor after they've seen the rim? Yea she a frosh, yea lots of talent, even with a busted knee (repaired) Gabby saw action as a Frosh. That's the kind of kid Geno likes, I suspect Griffin will become as Gabby with Geno. A kid that can play 3 positions or a positionless player. Too early to tell but not too early to speculate and ruminate about all the assets Geno now has to worry about Pt for?? Oh, poooor Geno, the grief he must feel (like NONe)

Reaction Score

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Heads up ... Name typo @Tonyc... Anna or Ania (preferred diminutive). And I assume they read the BY, soaking up every scrap that is UConn. I'm not the name police; they aren't nice. Just got your back.
Heck of a way of being neighborly---Ania is the new Anna. I doubt Anna would hate terribly being called her proper name Anna, it may make her mad being called late for dinner however. Using the diminutive (Ania) to some is a familiarity until they are introduced. Propriety would say Anna until then. But since I have no class or couth I tend to write Ania (sorry Anna).The same thought of Ania crossed my mind but if she is a nice as she seems, it won't matter as long as we call her a Uconn Huskie. @Tonyc may agree.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is a bit early to re-ignite the dynasty, if there ever really was one. My understanding of dynasties is that happens when the baton is passed to the next generation.
Lol, really? Take a look at my signature below. That's pretty much the definition of dynasty, and more particularly of "passing the baton to different generations."

That said, we do have a lot of new pieces joining the team. It is going to be very challenging to figure out where they all fit. Additionally the players need to understand how play with each other. That takes time. I think we have the best staff in country to figure it all out, but that doesn't eliminate the enormity of the challenge.

it won't matter as long as we call her a Uconn Huskie.

Uh that's "UConn Husky" but thank you for omitting the "lady."

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Heck of a way of being neighborly---Ania is the new Anna. I doubt Anna would hate terribly being called her proper name Anna, it may make her mad being called late for dinner however. Using the diminutive (Ania) to some is a familiarity until they are introduced. Propriety would say Anna until then. But since I have no class or couth I tend to write Ania (sorry Anna).The same thought of Ania crossed my mind but if she is a nice as she seems, it won't matter as long as we call her a Uconn Huskie. @Tonyc may agree.

Uh, Tonyc typo is Ana. Maybe his suggestion to her of a name compromise?? How does that comport with propriety? I was not trying to chastise Tonyc for using her given name for #@$%! sake! As Danny said to the elderly witness: "Maybe it's time for a thicker set?" ;)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing. Loved this part:

“It’s just really fun getting to meet her and being able to build a relationship with future teammates before I actually get there,” Bueckers said Friday by phone. “We’re already pretty close. I just can’t wait for us to get to UConn, then we can play with each other under coach Geno (Auriemma) in Storrs — the whole UConn experience.”

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think the dynasty is alive and well.

Last year was an off year, if the standard is UConn 2008 through 2016. Or 1994-2016. Last year's team had some holes. There were uncharacteristic struggles in a few conference games. The case could be made that it was the least-strong UConn team since 2011-12.

But 35-3 is not bad. Taking a team without a lot of size into Waco and playing a team that did have a lot of size and losing is not indicative of much. Losing at Louisville was not good but nothing really to be ashamed of. And as someone else pointed out, UConn beat two of the three teams it lost to in other games. Losing in the semis was hurtful, but they more than held their own against a team of four seniors and a junior, all of whom were drafted. As Geno conceded in the post-game presser, ND was the better team at the beginning of the year and the better team at the end of the year.

Yes, there have been some recruiting disappointments, especially Boston. But what is still true is that UConn still gets a whole bunch of the very finest players coming out of HS.

I don't think the dynasty ends until Geno hangs them up for good.

Reaction Score
I'm skeptical (of most things, including this). There seems to be a lot of talent, but to get this group of young women to mature into one of the four best teams in the country will require, IMHO, the coaching job of Geno's career.

Consider the players:
Dangerfield: She's a helluva point guard and a fine player - probably the team leader -- but can she hold up for a whole season, especially if she has to carry most of the PG load. It did not work out especially well for her this year.
ONO: Can she do what we all believe she is capable of doing? What happens if she doesn't or, more likely, is not consistent?
Walker: Can she be the consistent scorer that UConn needs?
The newcomers? There simply is no way to project what they will be like, especially a European playing a completely different kind of ball than the average high school senior. Yes they look promising, but so have lots of others. Will they turn into another Dangerfield or AEH? Will that fifth-year transfer make a real contribution, or is she a warm body? Just askin'.
Camara: Just which Camara is UConn getting next year? The one who rode the bench or the one who is lighting up the international game? And what quality level is that, anyway?
The rest of the bench: Remains the rest of the bench. Irwin and Bent can provide some serviceable moments, but to expect much more, especially in a non-conference game against a high-level opponent, is just asking too much.

So that's the raw material. The team could be really good or really disappointing. Coaching and coachability will tell the tale.

Reaction Score
I'm skeptical (of most things, including this). There seems to be a lot of talent, but to get this group of young women to mature into one of the four best teams in the country will require, IMHO, the coaching job of Geno's career.

Consider the players:
Dangerfield: She's a helluva point guard and a fine player - probably the team leader -- but can she hold up for a whole season, especially if she has to carry most of the PG load. It did not work out especially well for her this year.
ONO: Can she do what we all believe she is capable of doing? What happens if she doesn't or, more likely, is not consistent?
Walker: Can she be the consistent scorer that UConn needs?
The newcomers? There simply is no way to project what they will be like, especially a European playing a completely different kind of ball than the average high school senior. Yes they look promising, but so have lots of others. Will they turn into another Dangerfield or AEH? Will that fifth-year transfer make a real contribution, or is she a warm body? Just askin'.
Camara: Just which Camara is UConn getting next year? The one who rode the bench or the one who is lighting up the international game? And what quality level is that, anyway?
The rest of the bench: Remains the rest of the bench. Irwin and Bent can provide some serviceable moments, but to expect much more, especially in a non-conference game against a high-level opponent, is just asking too much.

So that's the raw material. The team could be really good or really disappointing. Coaching and coachability will tell the tale.
Good analysis but I think you left out an important piece of the puzzle (no mention of Christyn Williams).

Reaction Score
And you're right. I knew I forgot someone. So..
Christyn Williams: Can she be the consistent force that we all hope for, or does she need another year to mature? She's the real deal, at least some of the time, but did tend to disappear some of the time, too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And you're right. I knew I forgot someone. So..
Christyn Williams: Can she be the consistent force that we all hope for, or does she need another year to mature? She's the real deal, at least some of the time, but did tend to disappear some of the time, too.
Christyn Williams: She showed flashes of greatness with a quick first step, good range and willingness to take to the hole. How much better will she'll be after making the sophomore jump?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom