The younger Ogwumike sisters | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The younger Ogwumike sisters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Chiney was an AA, but I don't know of she was 1st team.. But she is an AA because she is a dogged defender, great offensive rebounder and inside scorer, not because she has any kind of game from mid range and further out. Nneka now has an outstanding jump shot and perimeter game, which she had in her soph year. So IMO, unless Chiney's game gets a lot better in her last two years, she will not be as good offensively as Nneka.

As for Venus and Serena, you are talking about players who are much older. Not that relevant to college basketball players, but I see your point.

Actually, Nneka didn't have the mid-range game until her junior year and she really perfected it her senior year. She worked hard at it over the summers. My guess is that we'll see the same mid-range game from Chiney. She was playing a role her first two years, which was to be the vacuum cleaner and making sure the offensive rebounds would be converted into points. Now that she is expected to be the star, she's going to work harder than ever to get that mid-range game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Was not Chiney a first team All american this past season? And, younger sis is not likely to step on older sis's toes quite yet.

For years before Serena's dominance emerged, R1chard Williams kept telling the tennis press that Serena was the better tennis player. Yet, while Venus dominated, the tennis press and pundits tended to scoff at Mr. Williams' bold predictions of Serena's eventual greatness and All-Williams Grand Slam finals. Nowadays, we rarely ever see or hear from R1chard as he enjoys the last laugh.
Serena was the first of the two Williams sisters to win a major title. Venus was the first to reach world #1, but clearly they were both elite players by that point. Venus was dominant in 2000 and 2001, but by 2002, Serena left no doubt who was going to be the better player overall.

In the case of the fightin' Ogwumikes, both elder Os were Gatorade NPOY as HS seniors, but Chiney was the consensus #1 in her class (Nneka was not). Again, clearly elite in both cases, though Chiney is definitely not on the level Nneka is yet. Trajectory for the younger sisters to get to the elder sisters' level would be unusual at this point. Not imposssible, but not likely.

Reaction Score
Chiney was an AA, but I don't know of she was 1st team.. But she is an AA because she is a dogged defender, great offensive rebounder and inside scorer, not because she has any kind of game from mid range and further out. Nneka now has an outstanding jump shot and perimeter game, which she had in her soph year. So IMO, unless Chiney's game gets a lot better in her last two years, she will not be as good offensively as Nneka.

As for Venus and Serena, you are talking about players who are much older. Not that relevant to college basketball players, but I see your point.

Chiney was a First Team All American on the same State Farm/WBCA team to which Bria Hartley was named. Picture courtesy of pap49cba from a previous thread:
ApVrGnVCAAAsMyt.jpg:large

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Chiney was a First Team All American on the same State Farm/WBCA team to which Bria Hartley was named. Picture courtesy of pap49cba from a previous thread:
ApVrGnVCAAAsMyt.jpg:large
This is the pic that shows how tall Elena is.

Reaction Score
First post. Please don't kill me.

I'm just ran across this while googling the younger O sisters after seeing them play recently and I can tell you in college Erica will b a star while Olivia will be good but not as good as the others. They are both tremendously athletic just as their older sisters so they will both be excellent rebounding guards but expect Erica to score more she just scored like 25 a couple days ago against my sister. Olivia has smarts and will play her role liken her to Kelly Faris. Their rankings will suffer of course because people are going to expect nneka/chiney part 2 and these two are not them but they are definitely both worthy of looks.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ahhhhh you've done it now. I can hear them sharpening their knives now.

Turn back while there's still time. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I find it a little odd that all 4 play basketball, at this level. Seems like with 4 girls, one of them would want to do something different, if only to be different (not compared to her sisters). Seems like one of them would have a different interest.

I don't know. I know how different my kids are. Just seems odd to me.

Reaction Score
I get the part about wanting to be an attorney, well almost, but a corporate attorney? As a freshman in high school? Wow. I worked for several years as a corporate attorney but I sure didn't have that in mind when I was 15 years old. It's not exactly what dreams are made of. Too funny. God bless her.
The year of Villanova's great men's NCAA national championship, I was dragging my oldest daughter around to college campuses to see the schools up close before she made her choice. I made a point of getting to talk to some students at each school to get a flavor of their mentality. We had lunch with about a half dozen undergrads at the University of Pennsylvania, but I was not prepared for the freshman who confided that ever since he was 12 he had wanted to be an investment banker.

I almost threw up.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

I'm just ran across this while googling the younger O sisters after seeing them play recently and I can tell you in college Erica will b a star while Olivia will be good but not as good as the others. They are both tremendously athletic just as their older sisters so they will both be excellent rebounding guards but expect Erica to score more she just scored like 25 a couple days ago against my sister. Olivia has smarts and will play her role liken her to Kelly Faris. Their rankings will suffer of course because people are going to expect nneka/chiney part 2 and these two are not them but they are definitely both worthy of looks.

welcome, welcome! nah, we won't kill ya yet. First, we soften you up, maybe tease you a little, ..and, then! (Think Hansel & Gretel, when the witch sweet talks 'em into her house, then fattens them up!):p

Reaction Score
The year of Villanova's great men's NCAA national championship, I was dragging my oldest daughter around to college campuses to see the schools up close before she made her choice. I made a point of getting to talk to some students at each school to get a flavor of their mentality. We had lunch with about a half dozen undergrads at the University of Pennsylvania, but I was not prepared for the freshman who confided that ever since he was 12 he had wanted to be an investment banker.

I almost threw up.
I actually envy those with that kind of goal that young in life. I'm now in my 60's and still don't know what I want to do with my life when I grow up.

Reaction Score
Well the wealth and status with which corporate attorneys are associated with, and portrayed in movies/television might appeal to someone young (and who doesn't know better :D). I went to a corporate factory law school--but I survived and am a civil rights attorney:p:cool:--- and I bet there were many in my class who grew up with aspirations of becoming a corporate attorney.

I get the part about wanting to be an attorney, well almost, but a corporate attorney? As a freshman in high school? Wow. I worked for several years as a corporate attorney but I sure didn't have that in mind when I was 15 years old. It's not exactly what dreams are made of. Too funny. God bless her.

Reaction Score
I find it a little odd that all 4 play basketball, at this level. Seems like with 4 girls, one of them would want to do something different, if only to be different (not compared to her sisters). Seems like one of them would have a different interest.

I don't know. I know how different my kids are. Just seems odd to me.

First thank u all for the welcome I'm gonna be up front I'm a huge LV fan but I'm a realist I love the way the husky women play I personally think this will be a chemistry building year for them and next year they will rip teams apart.

But I replied to this because Olivia is actually a GREAT volleyball player I think Erica plays too but Olivia is very very good at it so that may be the direction she takes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
First thank u all for the welcome I'm gonna be up front I'm a huge LV fan but I'm a realist I love the way the husky women play I personally think this will be a chemistry building year for them and next year they will rip teams apart.
All fans that value civil conversation are welcome here, regardless of team loyalty. Some people expect us to be completely objective so we do ask that you remember this is a UConn board and not a neutral one. We have a lot of biased fans but that doesn't mean we don't want to hear about your team, too. If you have any questions, you can use the private message feature to send me a message. Just click on my handle (on the left of this message), then on Start a Conversation.

Welcome!

Reaction Score
But I replied to this because Olivia is actually a GREAT volleyball player I think Erica plays too but Olivia is very very good at it so that may be the direction she takes.
A good friend of my saw Erica play last summer and said very good things about her. I believe she's actually skipped a grade, so while she's technically C/O 2015, she's a year younger. Been told she's plays more like a guard/wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom