The Yankees Trade | The Boneyard

The Yankees Trade

Reaction Score
So the Yankees pull off a trade and obtain just what their rivals the Red Sox need. A power hitting third baseman and some bull pen help. Will Dumbrowski respond? He may say that they already have done something. After all, they signed Jhonny Peralta. But whoops, they already released him and the Panda. Could Manny Machado be available? Would you trade Devers for him? I would.

Reaction Score
It's about time that the Yankees responded. They've lost more games due to starting and pullpen pitching ( some of which was due to injuries) and if they want to stay competitive had to make a move. I know they don't want to give up young talent, but it doesn't appear as thought they were hurt in that regard in this trade. Robertson always seems to "make things interesting" bu it's great to have him back and Headley just hasn't been consistent and should be challenged .
They still don't have the overall team the Red Sox have ( obviously in starting pitching) and despite the absence of the Big Papi ( sorely missed) the Sox should be the team to beat ....challenged by Houston and eventually the LA Dodgers.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I see Manny Machado entering the Red Sox clubhouse and then getting smacked in the head...a lot.

As for the Yanks...here is the bullpen:

Chapman
Robertson
Kahnle
Betances
Warren
Shreve
C Green
C Smith

I kinda see Betances getting traded to Oakland for Sonny Gray (pleeeeease!!!!). Or Kahnle getting flipped to Oakland with somebody.

Reaction Score
It's a good trade a couple nice bullpen arms and a mature yet struggling hitter. Think they like Frazier at 1st base too he's had some experience there. Headley bast much less than .200 from the right side so they can move people around with Frazier at 3rd vs lefties. I mean I hate .207 as an average but his 16 HRs gives them some pop which Chase has nothing left of.

Rutherford is tough to let go but they had to give them someone. They took Clippard so that helps, should be a good trade overall for the Yanks. Just don't want them to give away anything of huge value to make a run this year, I think their time is coming next year and for years after.

Reaction Score
I see Manny Machado entering the Red Sox clubhouse and then getting smacked in the head...a lot.

As for the Yanks...here is the bullpen:

Chapman
Robertson
Kahnle
Betances
Warren
Shreve
C Green
C Smith

I kinda see Betances getting traded to Oakland for Sonny Gray (pleeeeease!!!!). Or Kahnle getting flipped to Oakland with somebody.

I love the arm Kahnle brings, serious cheese. Sonny Gray is too expensive, screw that not worth it.

Reaction Score
Good trade for the Yankees, they gave up a good amount of prospects but their farm system has a lot to trade from, so it won't hurt them at all until 2020 when everyone from the trade is gone and Rutherford and Clarkin and that other kid may be on Chicago as rookies. I'm curious what the yankees future will be regarding SP. Just stick with the kids and Tanaka (if he doesn't opt out)? I'm not sure there is a Sale type out there to trade for and I'd be nervous as hell about signing Darvish in the offseason. He's the clear #1 starter on the market and he'll be turning 32 next year already...and has already had arm issues.

As for the Sox, no don't trade Devers for Machado and it won't happen anyway. The Sox basically have their roster more or less set for the next 2-3 years and are banging up against the Luxury Tax threshhold while doing it. Any extra big coin they use will be to try to lock up Mookie, Bradley, and maybe even extending Sale. They can't afford another young guy who will be a FA in a couple years and will be taking in a massive haul. Having too many young guys closing in on free agency is not good unless you're already working with a team salary under 100 mil...which they aren't.

Reaction Score
Good trade for the Yankees, they gave up a good amount of prospects but their farm system has a lot to trade from, so it won't hurt them at all until 2020 when everyone from the trade is gone and Rutherford and Clarkin and that other kid may be on Chicago as rookies. I'm curious what the yankees future will be regarding SP. Just stick with the kids and Tanaka (if he doesn't opt out)? I'm not sure there is a Sale type out there to trade for and I'd be nervous as hell about signing Darvish in the offseason. He's the clear #1 starter on the market and he'll be turning 32 next year already...and has already had arm issues.

As for the Sox, no don't trade Devers for Machado and it won't happen anyway. The Sox basically have their roster more or less set for the next 2-3 years and are banging up against the Luxury Tax threshhold while doing it. Any extra big coin they use will be to try to lock up Mookie, Bradley, and maybe even extending Sale. They can't afford another young guy who will be a FA in a couple years and will be taking in a massive haul. Having too many young guys closing in on free agency is not good unless you're already working with a team salary under 100 mil...which they aren't.

Yeah Yanks haven't answered any starting pitching needs which will eventually be the main subject. Not sure they are even interested in keeping Tanak unless he comes cheap and Pineida won't wear the pinstripes again as far as I can see. Severino looks to be a 1-2 guy for sure but then what? Adams, Smith and many young guys are the key. They may spend some money but not a ton out there, but they haven't in a while so we'll see.

As for the Machado for Devers - why would the Orioles do that besides the financial strapping?

Reaction Score
Angelos is a cheap ass owner and he's got to trade Machado for prospects at some point soon I would think.
Trading in the division though? Can't see it
As for Devers I've seen him regarded now as a top 5 overall prospect. I have a feeling he will be in Boston by the deadline if the Sox don't pull the trigger on something. Not many 20 year olds can hit likes he's been hitting this year

Reaction Score
Angelos is a cheap ass owner and he's got to trade Machado for prospects at some point soon I would think.
Trading in the division though? Can't see it
As for Devers I've seen him regarded now as a top 5 overall prospect. I have a feeling he will be in Boston by the deadline if the Sox don't pull the trigger on something. Not many 20 year olds can hit likes he's been hitting this year

I know you Sox guys hate him hell so do I but Machados young and proven, dollars aside id go with the sure thing but I get your deal. Kid looks like a stud, we'll see.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The trade is a decent one for the Yankees. Frazier can help with some pop and the 2 bullpen arms are needed.

I don't see Betances going any where. The A's asking price for Gray will be too high. Gray, career wise, is 43 - 35 with a 3.46 ERA. Not overwhelming. The plus side he is only 27 and should be coming into his most productive years as a pitcher. Pineda will not wear pinstripes again. Montgomery shows promise though he got hammered today. There are other young arms in the minors. Time to play them.

And this were I have a problem with Girardi. He is hesitant to bring up some of the young arms except maybe for September to use in the bullpen. Girardi also overuses specific pitchers in his bullpen. Clippard is/ was a prime example. Too any time he expects Betances and Chapman to get 4 or more outs. He did this with Riviera too.

And can we get back to Judge being in the 4 or 5 spot in the order and not the 2.

Reaction Score
I know you Sox guys hate him hell so do I but Machados young and proven, dollars aside id go with the sure thing but I get your deal. Kid looks like a stud, we'll see.
Machado for Devers and others probably won't happen. I'm not worried about clubhouse problems with Machado. If he puts on a Red Sox uniform they will all love him. The Orioles will probably have to move him at some point. They don't have the money to sign him in two years when he becomes a free agent. The Sox on the other hand will be able to afford him when the Panda's salary goes away and if they don't resign Hanley. He would be almost the perfect addition and would hit 40+ homers in Fenway. The Sox would have to be sure that they could get a long term deal with him. Theo would pull this off but Dumbrowski won't.

Reaction Score
The trade is a decent one for the Yankees. Frazier can help with some pop and the 2 bullpen arms are needed.

I don't see Betances going any where. The A's asking price for Gray will be too high. Gray, career wise, is 43 - 35 with a 3.46 ERA. Not overwhelming. The plus side he is only 27 and should be coming into his most productive years as a pitcher. Pineda will not wear pinstripes again. Montgomery shows promise though he got hammered today. There are other young arms in the minors. Time to play them.

And this were I have a problem with Girardi. He is hesitant to bring up some of the young arms except maybe for September to use in the bullpen. Girardi also overuses specific pitchers in his bullpen. Clippard is/ was a prime example. Too any time he expects Betances and Chapman to get 4 or more outs. He did this with Riviera too.

And can we get back to Judge being in the 4 or 5 spot in the order and not the 2.

Yeah not a fan of the Gray rumors. Frazier looked at 3 breaking balls in his PH roll yesterday and is hitting .207 so not thrilled but he does have pop, hits mistakes on occasion. Girardi is having a bad year in so many ways it's crazy. The bullpen, the lineup and the facts you bring up with young arms. I mean you were going to give Judge a FULL day off yesterday and yet you did PH him in the 9th - well why didn't you PH him in the 7th with 2 on and Ellsbury up after a pitching change to a lefty? He's been awful this year, no denying it worst year managing and I'm conceding he's had many injuries. But his decisions in game are questionable at times, at best!

Reaction Score

I agree. It's time to check out some of the young arms in the minors. It's doubtful they're going to get anyone on the market worth giving up the" farm" for.
I am far from a Girardi fan and agree he poorly uses his bullpen. He is basically void of any type of baseball strategy and they really ought to have him pay to "watch" their games! He also decides to "rest" key players at the most unopportune times---when they're playing the better teams. Managers may not be able to "win" very many games by their decisions, but they seem to standout by makes decisions that end-up losing a fair number. Girardi fits into that category.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Sonny Gray will be a major acquisition. He has been great over the last month. Throw last season out.

Give Betances for him.

Reaction Score
Machado for Devers and others probably won't happen. I'm not worried about clubhouse problems with Machado. If he puts on a Red Sox uniform they will all love him. The Orioles will probably have to move him at some point. They don't have the money to sign him in two years when he becomes a free agent. The Sox on the other hand will be able to afford him when the Panda's salary goes away and if they don't resign Hanley. He would be almost the perfect addition and would hit 40+ homers in Fenway. The Sox would have to be sure that they could get a long term deal with him. Theo would pull this off but Dumbrowski won't.

Hanley is signed to a vesting option for 2019 and Pablo is being paid through 2019 with a buyout of 5 million in 2020, Machado is a FA after 2018. The Yankees have CC's, ARod's, Holliday's, Frazier's contracts up after this year. They have Headley's and Robertson's after next year. Their luxury tax rate will be reset to it's lowest rate and will have a ton of money to spend. Yankees will get Machado if they want him.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom