The Yankees are dead. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Yankees are dead.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think the entire baseball world would love to see David Price take the bump in Game 2 with the Sox trailing a best-of-5 1-0. Horrendous playoff stats. Horrendous stats vs the Yankees. But horrendous playoff stats vs the Yankees? Man that would be good theater. In a way, that storyline puts even more pressure on Sale in Game 1 to hurl a gem.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think the entire baseball world would love to see David Price take the bump in Game 2 with the Sox trailing a best-of-5 1-0. Horrendous playoff stats. Horrendous stats vs the Yankees. But horrendous playoff stats vs the Yankees? Man that would be good theater. In a way, that storyline puts even more pressure on Sale in Game 1 to hurl a gem.

Sale's not right atm either. Doesn't look good.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I honestly think they'll beat the Sox. It's all gonna depend on how far Sox starters are able to go in games.

The Yanks have 2 CRITICAL pieces to post season play. 1. home run hitting - change games with one swing, and 2. a great bullpen to close out games and weather storms

The return of Judge has sparked the Yankees. The last few games of the season, including the last 3 in Boston, showed the Yankees can take the Sox. Happ has a good record against the Sox and Tanaka and Sabathia can give the Sox fits. Severino is going to have to pitch better and deeper than he did last night.

The Sox biggest problem is their bullpen. They don't have a reliable path to their closer as the Yanks do.

If nothing else, it will be an exciting 5 games series.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I honestly think they'll beat the Sox. It's all gonna depend on how far Sox starters are able to go in games.

The Yanks have 2 CRITICAL pieces to post season play. 1. home run hitting - change games with one swing, and 2. a great bullpen to close out games and weather storms

It will be interesting. As a Red Sox fan, I'm not taking them lightly. The Sox hit plenty of HR as well, and in general have guys who are tougher outs, and can manufacture more runs. That can be critical against good pitching. But the teams were 1-2 in overall batting.

Sox have an edge in starting pitching, Yankees in the bullpen (other than closer).

Should be a hell of a series really. Baseball needs it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The return of Judge has sparked the Yankees. The last few games of the season, including the last 3 in Boston, showed the Yankees can take the Sox. Happ has a good record against the Sox and Tanaka and Sabathia can give the Sox fits. Severino is going to have to pitch better and deeper than he did last night.

Judge is to the Yankees what JD is to the Sox.

The Sox biggest problem is their bullpen. They don't have a reliable path to their closer as the Yanks do.

If nothing else, it will be an exciting 5 games series.

That's why I said above, if their starters can't go 7+, the Sox are well and truly fbombed.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
What in God's name was Stanton looking for in the 9th inning? Never swung!!!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What in God's name was Stanton looking for in the 9th inning? Never swung!!!

Well none of the Sox other starters seemed to be able to throw the ball remotely near the plate....maybe he figured Kimbrel would follow suit. heh heh

Reaction Score
What was the point of signing David price? He is a guaranteed L in October. It’s really quite amazing how bad he is.

Dooley

Reaction Score
As much as I dislike the Red Sox, I do feel like the playoff seeding needs to be addressed this offseason. How HOU got to play CLE in the 1st round despite not having best record is mind boggling. All year, the top 3 in the AL (and may be all of baseball) have been BOS-HOU-NYY. CLE got to beat up on a historically bad AL Central all year and are nowhere as good as NYY. Seedings need to be by final standings finish with no regard to division winners. Top seed plays lowest record, end of story. Not to mention, it's also an advantage to HOU to know full well they're playing CLE no matter what. BOS had to wait for the WC Game to know who they're playing to make final ALDS roster decisions. HOU should've had to wait too.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As much as I dislike the Red Sox, I do feel like the playoff seeding needs to be addressed this offseason. How HOU got to play CLE in the 1st round despite not having best record is mind boggling. All year, the top 3 in the AL (and may be all of baseball) have been BOS-HOU-NYY. CLE got to beat up on a historically bad AL Central all year and are nowhere as good as NYY. Seedings need to be by final standings finish with no regard to division winners. Top seed plays lowest record, end of story. Not to mention, it's also an advantage to HOU to know full well they're playing CLE no matter what. BOS had to wait for the WC Game to know who they're playing to make final ALDS roster decisions. HOU should've had to wait too.

Same thing for NFL.

Reaction Score
Yes they are congrats to the sox for advancing to the ALCS.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

The presumption that the wild card team is the lesser team is one that needs to stop. Go by records not division championships.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The presumption that the wild card team is the lesser team is one that needs to stop. Go by records not division championships.

Yup. Both NYY and OAK finished with a better record than CLE...who plays in a much weaker division than both the AL East and AL West. Heck, the Rays would have finished 1 GB of CLE if there were in the AL Central. Might have even won the division too if they were able to play those garbage Central teams instead of the NYY/BOS all season. Should be seeded by record, not division winners. BOS would have easily swept CLE too.

Reaction Score
Edge of the cliff not dead yet but hanging on by their finger tips 4 runs feels like 8.

Reaction Score
Getting Stanton to strike out with 2 on base in the bottom of the ninth was a relief.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I sincerely hope that Kimbrel has gotten this out of his system and is able to calm down. He was overthrowing every pitch, looking like a guy who had never seen that kind of situation before. He was anything but the calm, cool guy you want closing out games.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Tough way to end the season for sure but what can you do? Boston and Houston have been on a collision course since spring training. Will be a helluva series.

Side note: has anyone else noticed that our guy Springer is getting postseason white hot again? Dude has ice in his veins in the big spot...no surprise he's from UConn! ;)

Reaction Score
Sox are way more clutch then the Yankees it's why I wasn't too optimistic about the Yankees chances don't get me wrong I had confidence in this team after game 2, but not really surprised the lineup laid an egg and of course it didn't help that not a single pitcher could go 5 innings except for Tanaka. Sox were more prepared and want it more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom