The worst coach you have personal experience playing for. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The worst coach you have personal experience playing for.

Reaction Score
Had a bball coach in middle school catholic league. Basically had a starting 5 and everyone else. I was in the everyone else squad. One weekend we were double booked so the starters played in a tourney and got blown out. The reserves beat a divisional team by at least 10…

…we had lost to that divisional opponent a few weeks earlier with the starters playing the bulk of the minutes.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I had nothing but great coaches . The best was in Midget A team hockey. I got a gross misconduct in a game . we played Eddie shore old time hockey, all I did was what was accepted at the time, I was a goalie and this 6 foot 3 250 lb lummox ( midgets is 14 and 15 year olds , he was huge and sucked but bullied his way through everything) was told by their coach to screen me deep, and he kept backing me in the crease where I was pegged against the crossbar . So I did what Eddie Giacomin in used to do, every time he tried to back me down I slashed him in the back of the calves, where the shin guards didn’t cover, to move him out… the refs let this dance go for a period and a half. That's hockey. Whelp I got bold and really whacked him to bait him and he was pissed and turned around and cross checked me into crossbar ( I was maybe 5’7” 155 at the time) and got in my face. Luckily crossbar was there and held me up. And I cross checked back. To the chest. That was all I could reach. In a happenstance he was lifting his arms to block my cross check and lifted them so he lifted my cross check and went right under his helmet to the chin. He was split wide open. Never saw so much blood, or at least the ice made it seem that way. Medics on the ice.

I got a gross MIsconduct. 2nd of the season . Automatic season expulsion ( first was 30 days) .

My coach called a hearing with AHAUS and I was reinstated. Back in time for playoffs. I love that man.

Btw that goon played for suffield I still despise that town.

Reaction Score
My daughter's high school soccer coach is a piece of garbage (trying not to trigger the Boneyard filter). There are a lot of examples, but here's the latest that has me ready to lose it. They started preseason soccer (even though they've been practicing 3 days per week with the coach all of August plus captains' practices in July). He tells the girls that if they miss any practice they won't play. He only enforces that against his non-star players.

My daughter has had something going on medically and a doctor we saw Friday said we should have a procedure done. We could do it today because of a cancellation or wait a month +. We chose to do it today. She emailed the coach about the issue on Friday and got no response. Yesterday she asked if he got the email. He said he did and walked away. She wanted to explain that she was still going to come to practice, but wouldn't be able to participate because she will have been under anesthesia. He says, "you couldn't have this done sooner?" She explained that she couldn't and he responded, "well, there seem to be a bunch of you with convenient excuses. Maybe you should have a private practice on Saturday." Didn't wish her luck or offer any support.

I wanted to reach out to him and explain how he could have better handled the situation, but my daughter insists that I not communicate with him. She's probably right. I know I'd start off nice, but I know it would go south. She's considered quitting, but she still likes the game and only has 3 more months. Maybe she should quit at this point though.

Reaction Score
My daughter's high school soccer coach is a piece of garbage (trying not to trigger the Boneyard filter). There are a lot of examples, but here's the latest that has me ready to lose it. They started preseason soccer (even though they've been practicing 3 days per week with the coach all of August plus captains' practices in July). He tells the girls that if they miss any practice they won't play. He only enforces that against his non-star players.

My daughter has had something going on medically and a doctor we saw Friday said we should have a procedure done. We could do it today because of a cancellation or wait a month +. We chose to do it today. She emailed the coach about the issue on Friday and got no response. Yesterday she asked if he got the email. He said he did and walked away. She wanted to explain that she was still going to come to practice, but wouldn't be able to participate because she will have been under anesthesia. He says, "you couldn't have this done sooner?" She explained that she couldn't and he responded, "well, there seem to be a bunch of you with convenient excuses. Maybe you should have a private practice on Saturday." Didn't wish her luck or offer any support.

I wanted to reach out to him and explain how he could have better handled the situation, but my daughter insists that I not communicate with him. She's probably right. I know I'd start off nice, but I know it would go south. She's considered quitting, but she still likes the game and only has 3 more months. Maybe she should quit at this point though.

If you have proof that the rule is only being enforced for bench players, I would talk to the principal. The rule is fine, but unequal application is silly. Go above the AD's head--they're useless. Just gym teachers that wanted more money.

I hate petty coaches like this.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I had one other bad coach in Babe Ruth. The coach wasn’t so bad but his kid was kind of a jackass and picked on the younger kids like me. It always bugged me that the coach didn’t do anything about it.

Anyway, one day we are playing and the jackass kid says “the ump is hammered”. The coach starts to watch the umpire, and maybe two batters later, pulls the team off the field and says the umpire has to leave. The umpire was well known in town, and it was the 80’s so someone being drunk in the afternoon wasn’t exactly unprecedented. My mom often told me she and her friends didn’t make it through all our boring baseball games with coffee in her thermos, but she wasn’t umpiring the game.

Demanding the umpire leave was a big deal. The umpire got indignant, my coach wouldn’t back down, and now the other coach had to pull his team or he would look like a jerk.

The umpire finally left, a dad from the stands called the rest of the game, and I actually had a lot more respect for the coach and even his jackass kid.

Reaction Score
If you have proof that the rule is only being enforced for bench players, I would talk to the principal. The rule is fine, but unequal application is silly. Go above the AD's head--they're useless. Just gym teachers that wanted more money.

I hate petty coaches like this.
I probably should, but my daughter would be livid. The AD is actually part of the problem. Just a useless old guy that is also sexist against the girls teams. I have one more year in the school system. I may submit a letter after the season, or maybe even after the school year to keep my daughter from being dragged in. It's a small school in a small town.

A few girls quit every year because of the coach. He's never cared because they have a ton of girls in the program and he doesn't usually lose the top players. This year, he's lost a star (transferred to a private school) and another potential starter. But he doesn't think it's because of him.

Reaction Score
I had nothing but great coaches . The best was in Midget A team hockey. I got a gross misconduct in a game . we played Eddie shore old time hockey, all I did was what was accepted at the time, I was a goalie and this 6 foot 3 250 lb lummox ( midgets is 14 and 15 year olds , he was huge and sucked but bullied his way through everything) was told by their coach to screen me deep, and he kept backing me in the crease where I was pegged against the crossbar . So I did what Eddie Giacomin in used to do, every time he tried to back me down I slashed him in the back of the calves, where the shin guards didn’t cover, to move him out… the refs let this dance go for a period and a half. That's hockey. Whelp I got bold and really whacked him to bait him and he was pissed and turned around and cross checked me into crossbar ( I was maybe 5’7” 155 at the time) and got in my face. Luckily crossbar was there and held me up. And I cross checked back. To the chest. That was all I could reach. In a happenstance he was lifting his arms to block my cross check and lifted them so he lifted my cross check and went right under his helmet to the chin. He was split wide open. Never saw so much blood, or at least the ice made it seem that way. Medics on the ice.

I got a gross MIsconduct. 2nd of the season . Automatic season expulsion ( first was 30 days) .

My coach called a hearing with AHAUS and I was reinstated. Back in time for playoffs. I love that man.

Btw that goon played for suffield I still despise that town.

Nice segue into an offseason thread for "The Best Coaches in your personal experience" huh?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

There are a lot of good reasons for you to "go south" (I would be tempted to) but that won't help at all and only get you dragged into it. If she can put up with him you'd only be hurting her. After the season (or possibly sooner) detailed commentary in writing is in order on this person who sounds very sick to me. It borders on cruelty. You have to use your judgement as to whether he poses a legitimate threat to your daughter's well being and go from there.

Reaction Score
I probably should, but my daughter would be livid. The AD is actually part of the problem. Just a useless old guy that is also sexist against the girls teams. I have one more year in the school system. I may submit a letter after the season, or maybe even after the school year to keep my daughter from being dragged in. It's a small school in a small town.

A few girls quit every year because of the coach. He's never cared because they have a ton of girls in the program and he doesn't usually lose the top players. This year, he's lost a star (transferred to a private school) and another potential starter. But he doesn't think it's because of him.
Agree a letter after the season is your best case, works better for whomever is possibly empowered to help as they can say someone without an agenda (assume last season) is making a case.

I once helped get a tenant evicted this way. Lived downstairs with roommates and the upstairs neighbor was sometimes loud & seemed to be destroying the place. I moved out for a better place, but wrote a letter to Landlord anyway saying I moved out b/c of the upstairs tenant. LL investigated and place was a mess so they were evicted. Glad I wasn't there for the mess yet helped out my former roommates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom