The Wooden Award Midseason Top 25 released | The Boneyard

The Wooden Award Midseason Top 25 released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It entertaining to watch the PC fans freak out that Bryce Cotton isn't on this list but the guy that backed out on them and ended up at Oregon, Joe Young, made the list. Young averages a few pts less/game than Cotton but his FG% and 3PT% are miles ahead of Cotton's.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
It's interesting that when UConn was undefeated there were several articles that listed SN as a front runner, and now that UConn is 15-4 he's not even mentioned as a potential favorite. Maybe he's not producing the mindblowing numbers he was at the beginning of the year, but this is the guy who just put up 30 and 27 the last 2 games, right? And his assist numbers have been pretty decent too.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Very close. I like one better though:

_______ MIN .. PTS .. REB .. AST .. TO .. FG% .. 3P%
Player A ..... 34.5 .... 17.4 .... 6.2 .... 5.9 .... 2.8 .... 44.7 .... 45.7
Player B ..... 30.6 .... 17.8 .... 5.8 .... 4.4 .... 2.6 .... 44.7 .... 32.2

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's interesting that when UConn was undefeated there were several articles that listed SN as a front runner, and now that UConn is 15-4 he's not even mentioned as a potential favorite. Maybe he's not producing the mindblowing numbers he was at the beginning of the year, but this is the guy who just put up 30 and 27 the last 2 games, right? And his assist numbers have been pretty decent too.
You have to win big and usually be a top 5-10 team to be considered for these awards. At the time they were talking about Bazz being NPOY UConn peaked at #9. Being 3-3 in the AAC is just not going to be good enough.

Reaction Score
If anyone has the time I would be curious how many of these guys were top 25 recruits. Seems many of them were outside the top 25. Parker, Randle and Wiggins were obviously very highly rated. Anderson too, I think.

Award Midseason Top 25 on Wednesday:

Player Pos. School
Kyle Anderson G/F UCLA
Keith Appling G Michigan St.
Cameron Bairstow F N. Mexico
Jordan Clarkson G Missouri
Aaron Craft G Ohio State
Sam Dekker F Wisconsin
Cleanthony Early F Wichita St.
Tyler Ennis G Syracuse
C.J. Fair F Syracuse
Aaron Gordon F Arizona
Rodney Hood F Duke
Nick Johnson G Arizona
DeAndre Kane G Iowa St.
Doug McDermott F Creighton
Shabazz Napier G Connecticut
Jabari Parker F Duke
Adreian Payne C Michigan St.
Casey Prather F Florida
Julius Randle F Kentucky
Marcus Smart G Okla. St.
Russ Smith G Louisville
T.J. Warren F N.C. State
Andrew Wiggins G Kansas
Chaz Williams G UMass
Joseph Young G Oregon

Reaction Score
Here's their rankings according to ESPN:

Kyle Anderson: #5
Keith Appling: #27
Cameron Bairstow: NR
Jordan Clarkson: NR
Aaron Craft: NR
Sam Dekker: #17
Cleanthony Early: NR
Tyler Ennis: #20
C.J. Fair: #63
Aaron Gordon: #4
Rodney Hood: #31
Nick Johnson: #22
DeAndre Kane: NR
Doug McDermott: NR
Shabazz Napier: NR
Jabari Parker: #2
Adreian Payne: #26
Casey Prather: #35
Julius Randle: #3
Marcus Smart: #10
Russ Smith: NR
T.J. Warren: #29
Andrew Wiggins: #1
Chaz Williams: NR
Joseph Young: #98

*NR: Not in Top 100

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Over 30% not even ranked in the top 100 coming out of high school. Interesting. I wonder if that's the proportion historically?

Reaction Score
Here's their rankings according to ESPN:

Kyle Anderson: #5
Keith Appling: #27
Cameron Bairstow: NR
Jordan Clarkson: NR
Aaron Craft: NR
Sam Dekker: #17
Cleanthony Early: NR
Tyler Ennis: #20
C.J. Fair: #63
Aaron Gordon: #4
Rodney Hood: #31
Nick Johnson: #22
DeAndre Kane: NR
Doug McDermott: NR
Shabazz Napier: NR
Jabari Parker: #2
Adreian Payne: #26
Casey Prather: #35
Julius Randle: #3
Marcus Smart: #10
Russ Smith: NR
T.J. Warren: #29
Andrew Wiggins: #1
Chaz Williams: NR
Joseph Young: #98

*NR: Not in Top 100
Kind of what I figured. 9 out of 25 not even in the top 100 and 12 out of the 25 are in the top 30. People always complain when UConn signs kids who aren't in the top 25-30. It's more important to sign the right players and develop them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, Shabazz was ranked in his original class but then wasn't when he re-classified.

Reaction Score
It entertaining to watch the PC fans freak out that Bryce Cotton isn't on this list but the guy that backed out on them and ended up at Oregon, Joe Young, made the list. Young averages a few pts less/game than Cotton but his FG% and 3PT% are miles ahead of Cotton's.
Bryce Cotton has meant more to PC winning then any single player since I can remember. He may not be the most efficient player in the country, but it is hard to find a player who could play 50 minutes in a game at the level he plays at, being forced out of position as the main ball handler and the only Friar who can consistently create his own shot. He may not be the best Friar ever, but he is becoming the hands down favorite Friar for MANY of us. He is a beast, and if he were a Husky you would feel the same way.

PS. Yes, I know that you don't care about my opinion and I should go away.

Reaction Score
Bryce Cotton has meant more to PC winning then any single player since I can remember. He may not be the most efficient player in the country, but it is hard to find a player who could play 50 minutes in a game at the level he plays at, being forced out of position as the main ball handler and the only Friar who can consistently create his own shot. He may not be the best Friar ever, but he is becoming the hands down favorite Friar for MANY of us. He is a beast, and if he were a Husky you would feel the same way.

PS. Yes, I know that you don't care about my opinion and I should go away.

Bryce Cotton is a very nice player and an impact player for PC no doubt. Whether or not he deserves to be on that list or not leaves room for argument but he is short of Napier's overall impact no doubt…….but not by a ton! I like his game…...

Reaction Score
No problem friar guy. Cotton is damm good and as important to you guys as Bazz is to us.

Reaction Score
Kansas plays seemingly 2 national games a week and I often forget Wiggins is even out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom