The women’s scoring record belongs to... | The Boneyard

The women’s scoring record belongs to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She reminds me of my all time favorite Maya Moore.

Maya Moore.jpg

Reaction Score
Thank you for posting this! Everyone needs to read about Pearl Moore. I read a few more articles about this amazing athlete. She averaged 30.6 points a game for four years. This is an example of the rich hist of women’s basketball that the casual fan doesn’t know about. Maybe ESPN and other platforms will give Pearl her due.

Reaction Score
3PT FGs before Pearl’s time.
Likely her team played less than 30 games each year.
Unlikely she played 4 years.
Played when only 2 refs officiated likely resulting her getting fewer free throws

Anyone have an extra asterisk?

Reaction Score
Chapeau to Clark! Actually she is the best player on the court. A really oneman team. Strong and beautiful to watch.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable shot. Never seen anything like it, men or women.
You never seen Steph do it ? .. imo she was just showboating back in my high school days we could make that shot and had we done so in a game our coach would have benched us .. she’s a great player but no need to have look at me shots imo

Reaction Score
You never seen Steph do it ? .. imo she was just showboating back in my high school days we could make that shot and had we done so in a game our coach would have benched us .. she’s a great player but no need to have look at me shots imo
She shot it when she was fouled, your coach is an absolute idiot if he/she would bench you for going for an And 1.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yeah, well coaches were like that back in the 40s/50s. The didn't like you show boating by dribbling through your legs, or dunking, or making no look passes...or...or jump shooting. ("set shot was good enough back in my day") :confused:

Reaction Score
The logo shot ? How was she fouled ?
There was a similar shot later in the game. Considering she does this frequently in games, it's understandable that there's confusion as to which logo shot is being talked about.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There was a similar shot later in the game. Considering she does this frequently in games, it's understandable that there's confusion as to which logo shot is being talked about.
Yeah, well let me know when she starts making shots from the other logo. ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wait, you're complaining about her shooting a three to break the record?
A lot of people here are purists - they want aesthetically beautiful, below the rim basketball. They don’t like dunking (it’s showboating) or playing to the crowd. Most of these folks watched or played 40-50 years ago.

People need to understand that college basketball, like the NBA, is entertainment. Caitlin Clark has done something great while entertaining the fans. Those that don’t like it should go to TwitterX and see that women’s basketball is trending - everyone is talking about the record and women’s hoops. Viewership is up, attendance is up at all levels of women’s hoops and those fans aren’t going to see pretty passing, they want to be entertained. The UConn crowd below loved Paige’s fire and showmanship; they wouldn’t respond the same way for a nice pass.

While I’m at it, celebrating Caitlin does nothing to diminish UConn, it’s players, or it’s myriad accomplishments so I don’t get the classless clowns on Twitter that put Caitlin down. She’s been nothing but classy in every interview I’ve seen this year.

C5F6726C-4673-4F80-B238-274B2008748A.jpeg

Reaction Score
A lot of people here are purists - they want aesthetically beautiful, below the rim basketball. They don’t like dunking (it’s showboating) or playing to the crowd. Most of these folks watched or played 40-50 years ago.

People need to understand that college basketball, like the NBA, is entertainment. Caitlin Clark has done something great while entertaining the fans. Those that don’t like it should go to TwitterX and see that women’s basketball is trending - everyone is talking about the record and women’s hoops. Viewership is up, attendance is up at all levels of women’s hoops and those fans aren’t going to see pretty passing, they want to be entertained. The UConn crowd below loved Paige’s fire and showmanship; they wouldn’t respond the same way for a nice pass.

While I’m at it, celebrating Caitlin does nothing to diminish UConn, it’s players, or it’s myriad accomplishments so I don’t get the classless clowns that put Caitlin down. She’s been nothing but classy in every interview I’ve seen this year.

View attachment 96511
It's bizarre the hate she gets. I found it utterly shocking that Sheryl Swoopes of all people chose to go on a podcast to trash Clark with all sorts of made up "facts."

Why would an all-time women's basketball legend choose to trash the most popular athlete in women's basketball who is clearly growing the game like we've never seen before? Caitlin Clark should be celebrated for her accomplishments and celebrated for bringing people to the game who never watched before.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's bizarre the hate she gets. I found it utterly shocking that Sheryl Swoopes of all people chose to go on a podcast to trash Clark with all sorts of made up "facts."

Why would an all-time women's basketball legend choose to trash the most popular athlete in women's basketball who is clearly growing the game like we've never seen before? Caitlin Clark should be celebrated for her accomplishments and celebrated for bringing people to the game who never watched before.
It’s bitterness. Instead of being remembered just for her on the court exploits, she damaged her reputation.

Reaction Score
While we're at it, the men's record belongs not to Pistol Pete, but John Pierce.

College Basketball's Men's and Women's Career Scoring List (9-1-2023)
1. John Pierce (David Lipscomb Univ. TN) 1990-94 4,230
2. Philip Hutcheson (David Lipscomb Univ. TN) 1986-90 4,106
3. Pearl Moore (Francis Marion College SC) 1975-79 4,061
4. Travis Grant (Kentucky State University) 1969-72 4,045
5. Miriam Walker-Samuels (Claflin College SC) 1987-90 3,855
6. Deb Remmerde (Northwestern IA) 2004-08 3,854
6. Bob Hopkins (Grambling State University) 1953-56 3,759
7. Archie Talley (Salem College WV) 1973-76 3,720
8. Steve Platt (Huntington College IN) 1971-74 3,700
9. Pete Maravich (Louisiana State University) 1967-70 3,667
Joe Miller (Alderson-Broaddus College WV) 1954-57 3,667
11. Antoine Davis (Detroit Mercy University) 2019-23 3,664
12. Lynette Woodard (University of Kansas) 1978-81 3,649

Reaction Score
Thank you for posting this! Everyone needs to read about Pearl Moore. I read a few more articles about this amazing athlete. She averaged 30.6 points a game for four years. This is an example of the rich hist of women’s basketball that the casual fan doesn’t know about. Maybe ESPN and other platforms will give Pearl her due.
I never think of her scoring. Her beauty and superb personality--always nice to me--I'll remember until I can't. My singular stand out Uconn player---just plain NICE.

Reaction Score
It’s bitterness. Instead of being remembered just for her on the court exploits, she damaged her reputation.

I like C. Clark, she is a scoring machine. But Swoopes, not my favorite person, has a point. The record is in 4 years not 6. If it is 6 put a huge * after it. The shame in Womens Basketball is: Top players (including DT) were/are beat up (UTenn did a job) Clark deserves credit for not slugging every person that elbows, bumps, pushes, hold, pulls her down.
I like evaluating banana's with banana's, to watermellons.
Paige and Kitley (VaTech) feel the wrath of player who can't compete with talent

Reaction Score
I personally do not care for Caitlin Clark’s style of play. She is an amazing talent and obviously a prolific scorer. Not caring for her style of play is not ‘hating’, just a preference and opinion. I don’t think a ‘logo three’ is a good shot. Maybe end of game, shot clock winding down but not the first option. That’s my opinion. just because I can jack some shots up doesn’t mean they are the ‘best’ shots available. Maybe this is why some fans ‘hate’ on CC.

The growth in the women’s game is great. I just don’t lose sight of the history and impact and importance of educating people on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom