The Wire | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Wire

Reaction Score
I don't think they got lazy, so much as they ran dry on material/had no idea how to end the series.

But season 5 definitely knocked the show down a little bit for me. It's still on my Mount Rushmore of shows, but the weak final season put it below BB in my eyes.

Reaction Score
I don't think they got lazy, so much as they ran dry on material/had no idea how to end the series.

But season 5 definitely knocked the show down a little bit for me. It's still on my Mount Rushmore of shows, but the weak final season put it below BB in my eyes.

The entire Baltimore Sun story line should have been left on the cutting room floor.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The entire Baltimore Sun story line should have been left on the cutting room floor.
David Simon, the creator, showrunner and writer for The Wire, was a crime reporter for the Baltimore Sun. Most of the story lines were from his experience. The whole Baltimore Sun story line was said to be the most realistic portrayal as anything ever done on a newsroom.

I'd agree though, Season 5 wasn't near as good as the prior seasons.

Reaction Score
I couldn't find anything that linked the fake serial killer plot line with anything that really happened, but would have to assume something spurred that on.

A couple pieces that were based on real situations? There was really a "Hamsterdam" and the guy who Omar was based on did jump off a building to escape once....except it was allegedly two floors HIGHER than what they showed in the episode.

Reaction Score
I am halfway through Season 2. I like it, but I don't consider it as good as Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, West Wing or Game of Thrones. Even ER at its peak was better than the Wire. I like Omar and the Barksdale crew, bit some of the cops are a bit stereotypical.
Season one was the best...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Welcome aboard, but I've gotta ask...That's how you come out of the gate? A 5 word post about a 7 year old TV show? At the end of the day, this is a UConn sports message board. Everything else is filler (Including one of the best shows in television history). No issues...Gotta crawl before you walk.

Reaction Score
Welcome aboard, but I've gotta ask...That's how you come out of the gate? A 5 word post about a 7 year old TV show? At the end of the day, this is a UConn sports message board. Everything else is filler (Including one of the best shows in television history). No issues...Gotta crawl before you walk.

I gave him his first like. I'm now his Daddy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Season 5 closed better than it started. I wasn't expecting happy endings, particularly with some of the most popular characters, so I was OK with how everything ended. I particularly enjoyed the last meeting of the New Day Co Op ("You just cost us 900").

I am sure it was realistic, but I thought the Baltimore Sun story line was a waste. Why introduce such a broad new storyline and setting in the last season?

As for the actors,

Bad: I thought the cast was very strong with a few exceptions.

I didn't like Littlefinger as the mayor. He has a strange accent which was not appropriate for a guy that should have grown up in a big city.
I am not a Sonja Sohn fan. I didn't understand the character after 5 seasons despite the fact that she got a ton of screen time. She seems to just recite lines rather than act.
I thought Chad Coleman sucked as Cutty, and apparently so did the writers because they dropped the character about halfway through the last season.
Paul Ben-Victor's fake Eastern European accent was kind of funny.

Good:

Isiah Whitlock was awesome as Clay Davis. That was a hard character to act and if he went too far it could have resulted in a lot of unintentional comedy. He nailed it.
Dominic West was excellent as the de facto lead. Playing a screw up so credibly is difficult.
Michael Kostroff killed it as Maurice Levy.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
There are actually several humorous moments throughout this series. By far the funniest moment was the BAU analysis of the serial homeless killer. This is even funnier if you are familiar with CSi, and the fact that most police consider behavioral analysis as "junk" science. (Love McNulty's facial expressions.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom