The whole injury picture | The Boneyard

The whole injury picture

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
After all of the team's injuries, I did the research to see how bad it really was. This was a painful list to assemble, and this season has been equally painful for our players and fans.

Each player and how many games they played healthy in out of 29 games:

• Jalen Adams: Played healthy in 25 out of 29 games (86%)
    • Missed 1 game with concussion
    • Left early 2 other games with injury (concussion/ankle)
    • Wasn't healthy vs ECU but he played
  • Alterique Gilbert: Played healthy in 2 out of 29 games (6%)
    • Hurt 3rd game, missed almost entire year with shoulder injury
  • Terry Larrier: Healthy 3 out of 29 games (10%)
    • Hurt 4th game, missed almost entire year with torn ACL
  • Christian Vital: Played healthy in 27 out of 29 games (93%)
    • 1 DNP vs Northeastern, not sure if coaches decision or injury
  • Rodney Purvis: Played healthy in 27 out of 29 games (93%)
    • Went to locker room vs Cinci, but returned
    • Dislocated finger before ECU game but played ineffectively
  • Vance Jackson: Played healthy in 29 out of 29 games (100%)
    • Concussion health scare post-ECU, will probably be out vs Cinci
  • Kentan Facey: Played healthy in 29 out of 29 games (100%)
    • Really the only player to play healthy in all games this year (knock on wood)
  • Mamadou Diarra: Played healthy in 0 out 29 games (0%)
    • Out for season with pre-season knee issues
  • Juwan Durham: Played healthy in 22 out of 29 games (76%)
    • Played in 24 games, but he was hurt and an emergency player in 2 of them.
    • Played 2 mins or fewer in 6 games due to lingering pain.
  • Steve Enoch: Played healthy in 24 out of 29 games (82%)
    • Played in 25 games, but was injured and emergency player in game vs UCF, logging 3 mins.
  • Amida Brimah: Played healthy in 28 out of 29 games (97%)
    • Hurt ankle in one game. Has had lingering ankle injuries most of the year.
Overall, our 11 scholarship players have averaged 19.6 healthy games out of season's 29 (67.7%).

Our top 6 players to start the season
(original 5 starters plus first sub, Gilbert) have averaged 19 healthy games out of 29 -- (65.5% -- 114 healthy games out of potential 174).

It's not an excuse -- it's fact. We've been simply decimated by injury this year.

Yet, we've got morons here making idiotic comments, saying that Kevin Ollie should be fired or that he's on the hot seat. To be frank, those people are either insane or too stupid to look at the bigger picture here.

The fact that some tools in the national media are still trashing KO is crazy. To say we've had 'bad luck' with injuries has been an enormous understatement.

And here's a question for the idiots calling for KO to get fired: Name a REASONABLE and AVAILABLE replacement coach who could do better right now. I'll wait... you can't. And not to mention, we'd lose a ton of our stud commitments and current players, including our rather impressive freshmen class.

REALITY NEWS FLASH: KO is our long term coach here. Yes, he has lots to improve on, but he's young. 1 injury-plagued season has no bearing on his long-term future here. You can be reasonably critical, but calling for his job at this juncture is simply asinine.

Reaction Score
AD Dave has zero ties to Ollie and as importantly zero ties to Calhoun. If by next year we are still seeing losses to ECU Wagner Northeastern and the like and as importantly crowds of 7000 at Gampel and under 10000 in Hartford there will be changes.

Reaction Score
After all of the team's injuries, I did the research to see how bad it really was. This was a painful list to assemble, and this season has been equally painful for our players and fans.

• Played in 25 games, but was injured and emergency player in game vs UCF, logging 3 mins.
Overall, our 11 scholarship players have averaged 19.6 healthy games out of season's 29 (67.7%).

(original 5 starters plus first sub, Gilbert) have averaged 19 healthy games out of 29 -- (65.5% -- 114 healthy games out of potential 174).

It's not an excuse -- it's fact. We've been simply decimated by injury this year.

Yet, we've got morons here making idiotic comments, saying that Kevin Ollie should be fired or that he's on the hot seat. To be frank, those people are either insane or too stupid to look at the bigger picture here.

The fact that some tools in the national media are still trashing KO is crazy. To say we've had 'bad luck' with injuries has been an enormous understatement.

And here's a question for the idiots calling for KO to get fired: Name a REASONABLE and AVAILABLE replacement coach who could do better right now. I'll wait... you can't. And not to mention, we'd lose a ton of our stud commitments and current players, including our rather impressive freshmen class.

REALITY NEWS FLASH: KO is our long term coach here. Yes, he has lots to improve on, but he's young. 1 injury-plagued season has no bearing on his long-term future here. You can be reasonably critical, but calling for his job at this juncture is simply asinine.
Who are all these posters saying Ollie needs to be fired?

Reaction Score
AD Dave has zero ties to Ollie and as importantly zero ties to Calhoun. If by next year we are still seeing losses to ECU Wagner Northeastern and the like and as importantly crowds of 7000 at Gampel and under 10000 in Hartford there will be changes.

Maybe Shaka Smart? He's such a success. If any AD had listened to you, we'd have only 3 championships and we'd be 10-20 right now.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Maybe Shaka Smart? He's such a success. If any AD had listened to you, we'd have only 3 championships and we'd be 10-20 right now.
We would probably be worse than 10-20 if we were in the Big 12.

Reaction Score

I get your overall point. Thanks for the number crunching. But one has to wonder WHY there have been so many injuries. Is it really all just bad luck or mostly bad luck? Or is it more than bad luck because IMO the injuries Uconn has seen are way WAY above norm (aka, I wonder what the national average is for time lost to injury, it must be 1/4th (or less) what Uconn is seeing) and I honestly believe that is not all by chance and bad luck.

Also, I really have to wonder, are we able to have adult, civil conversations without calling people childish names like stupid and idiot just for having a different opinion? That is something we learn in like, primary school, how to have a civil conversations, respect differing opinions, respectfully disagree and empathetic listening and all that jazz. I am not trying to be mean by saying that, but it is a basic life skill IMHO. Or is that allowed here, to call people names? Because I see it a lot.

Reaction Score

Quite a rousing defense of Coach Smart. Sure, he's 10-20 but I bet KO would do worse. It's gotten pretty sad around here.

Reaction Score
Nice work 916 - and there are plenty who are talking as if there is a need for a change which is crazy. When you factor in the above, with the fact that we all know that Hamilton should still be on this team, it is easy to see why we dropped a bit. Hamilton leaving put a huge dent in things. Add Larrier, Hamilton and Gilbert and you have an entirely different narrative - an no kentucky, duke and North Carolina don't all go through this...

Reaction Score
I get your overall point. Thanks for the number crunching. But one has to wonder WHY there have been so many injuries.
If everybody was coming down with the same type of ailment – like the USMNT all popping their hammies simultaneously at the World Cup after Klinsmann's insane 3-a-days – then you'd be onto something. But it's just not the case here.

It's been a biblical run of bad luck. I feel especially bad for the seniors, and hope we can ruin everybody's day in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Injuries have deprived us of a chance to evaluate KO with a roster of his guys, unaffected by sanctions or defections.

We'll get that chance next year.

If he's not on the hot seat now, another mediocre season next year and he absolutely will be come next April.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
IMG_2332.PNG

Thanks!!!!!

Reaction Score

Yes, but we wouldn't have Jalen Adams here. So, think of the entire freshman class wiped out with injuries, then no Jalen Adams.

We'd have Tevin Mack maybe.

Reaction Score
I get your overall point. Thanks for the number crunching. But one has to wonder WHY there have been so many injuries. Is it really all just bad luck or mostly bad luck? Or is it more than bad luck because IMO the injuries Uconn has seen are way WAY above norm (aka, I wonder what the national average is for time lost to injury, it must be 1/4th (or less) what Uconn is seeing) and I honestly believe that is not all by chance and bad luck.

Also, I really have to wonder, are we able to have adult, civil conversations without calling people childish names like stupid and idiot just for having a different opinion? That is something we learn in like, primary school, how to have a civil conversations, respect differing opinions, respectfully disagree and empathetic listening and all that jazz. I am not trying to be mean by saying that, but it is a basic life skill IMHO. Or is that allowed here, to call people names? Because I see it a lot.

Jalen's ankle and concussion: bad luck
Vital's concussion: bad luck
Durham and Enoch's foot injuries: ?
Larrier's ACL: Bad luck
Gilbert's shoulder: recurrent

Seems like bad luck to me.

Smacking your head, twisting an ankle and landing on a foot, ACL tear, those are bad luck, no?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Injuries have deprived us of a chance to evaluate KO with a roster of his guys, unaffected by sanctions or defections.

We'll get that chance next year.

If he's not on the hot seat now, another mediocre season next year and he absolutely will be come next April.
Honest question and not making any suggestions, but what about 2015 and 2016, fresh off of the recruiting bump of a national title and a fresh young coach?

Did these seasons just not happen? Did we go from title straight to injury cursed season?

Reaction Score
Honest question and not making any suggestions, but what about 2015 and 2016, fresh off of the recruiting bump of a national title and a fresh young coach?

Did these seasons just not happen? Did we go from title straight to injury cursed season?

I'm open to the idea that those seasons were partially tainted by circumstances outside of KO's control, though the results were certainly not encouraging.

Next year he needs to show something. If we're still bumbling along middle of the road in the AAC, fringe bubble team, unranked and irrelevant, he will find himself on the hot seat.

Same results in 2019 and he's gone.

Reaction Score
Often wonder if this is all due to pure chance (what are LV odds), or if team members are pre-disposed to injury (genetic or pre-existing), or sloppy / clumsy play, or if not in best shape (trainer issue)? Certainly wierd.

Reaction Score

One would think that NCs lead to an immediate recruiting bump, but they don't really.

Daniel Hamilton, Jalen Adams were the two post NC big recruits. These are not bad recruits. They are pretty good, and they are essentially the guys that were brought on after the NC. I would also add this year's class as well. Gilbert, Vance, Durham.

Reaction Score
Quite a rousing defense of Coach Smart. Sure, he's 10-20 but I bet KO would do worse. It's gotten pretty sad around here.

Not if they switched rosters....much better talent on Texas. Their bigs are twice as good for sure. Shaka's done an awful job although in his defense Mack hurt but they still lost with him playing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom